“Fabulous and Flawed”

and 1 more site!
Dean Street Townhouse
Ranked #246 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 30, 2010

My husband was traveling on business and I was tagging along. We were booked into a “large room” for five nights, but due to the volcano eruption in Iceland, ended up staying for nine – that might be the record for any reviewer who has posted here on Dean Street and so I feel we know the place very well. First, it really is a beautifully designed hotel. It is both classic but up-to-date, richly styled. I loved everything about the place in that regard. That’s the fabulous part. Our issues are with the location and the inexperienced staff. Location: As others have noted it is in the heart of Soho on a very busy street filled with pubs, restaurants clubs, etc. Central for sure, and great if you are a party animal. Not so great if you have to work in the morning. And it is not as if I did not anticipate this problem. I even emailed another trip advisor critic to ask about noise and was given a neutral answer. I think because they stayed there in the winter. Bottom line, if you have a room at the front of the house during warm weather you will have NO quiet until 2 am and then at 6 am the trash trucks start to pick up the bins of glass beer bottles. We learned over the course of stay that all the “large” rooms are at the front of the house, so don’t book one of those if you have to sleep at night. Medium size rooms are available at the back and they have tubs as well - so pay less, sleep more. The hotel does provide complimentary ear plugs - so what's left to say? As for the staff: the management needs to teach them how to handle sleepless unhappy customers on an expense account capable of sending a lot more business their way. When we first checked in, we were shown an absolutely giant and beautiful room on the 1st floor, just one flight above street level. We heard the street noise immediately and asked for a room at the back. They moved us to a slightly smaller room two flights up, but still at the front. There they left us, even though in the morning and all week it was clear we were miserable and sleep deprived. NO ONE explained that we might be happier if we moved to a room at the back and no one offered to move us – perhaps because the larger rooms are harder to sell and a downgrade would have cost them. When our reservation ran out, and we found ourselves stuck there on a day to day basis, we asked for a downgrade in order to save my husband’s employer some money. They moved us to a “small” room, but get this: AT THE FRONT OVER THE DOOR TO THE RESTAURANT. Clearly, the staff person who did this (and I can name names) was either passive aggressive or not interested in changing our opinion of the hotel. There were a million other irksome issues like inconsistent housekeeping (bathmat today? no bathmat?), a “turn down” at 11:15 pm after we had gone to bed (they actually entered our room!) and a missing trash can (when we mentioned this at the front desk one morning on our way out, we were told ABSOLUTLEY there was a trash can in our room. When we came back that evening, we still had no trash can – which means NO ONE on staff was dispatched to check on this – THEY WERE THAT SURE we had one. Smug, did I say smug?) We didn’t complain about most of this, not even the location of the second room as we were just too tired to fight back. The management and staff of Dean Street could take a lesson from the excellent and luxurious hotel we moved onto in Rome after our escape from London: the Villa Spelitti Trevelli.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
6  Thank McWarg

Reviewed April 27, 2010

Paying over £200 for one nights accommodation is a big deal for me so my expectations were high despite some mixed reviews. I stayed with my wife in a medium room (12) which was just wonderful. Comfortable, stylish with fabulous attention to detail including funky cowshed toiletries and a massive bed you could sleep in forever. Our room was at the back and even with our window open, it was still so quiet on Monday morning that we slept through to after 10am. The service was professional but not stuffy and the bar/restaurant although busy was still chilled and relaxed. The place is elegant, conservative and alternative at the same time and we would recommend it to those looking for a something slightly different from the homogenous corporate chains.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kentishtrader
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I find it hard to say anything negative about this hotel ; those who have in some of the reviews must either have had extreme bad luck or just be a pain in the [--] when it comes to appreciating a really great place to stay!
The rooms ( I have now stayed there twice in the last month) were wonderfully comfortable particularly the "Medium" room 4 which had access to a huge roof terrace and was very quiet at the back of the hotel. The second room ,a "Small" room 27 was much bigger than I had anticipated given it's name ,and even though it was on the ground floor next to reception was also very quiet and deliciously comfortable. Everything has been done to a very high standard and for the price is equal to anything I have encountered in hotels charging twice that of a Dean Street room. On my second visit I ordered room service of macaroni cheese which arrived promptly ,piping hot and was absolutely delicious . All the staff I encountered were unfailingly polite and helpful and I had the feeling I was being treated like a real human being and not just some piece of a soulless corporate jigsaw .Well done!

Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank hartcottage
Reviewed April 8, 2010

I can't imagine that there is a better hotel in London. We paid for the Dean St offer-£95 a night with an upgrade if possible, and we were upgraded to a 'medium' room. Huge soft comfy bed, stand alone bath, rainforest shower wetroom and all the added extra touches you could want. Loved the fresh milk and homemade cookies, well filled minibar(we didnt use) and complimentary water.
Staff were attentive, friendly and helpful, I couldnt get SKY controller to work and this little hitch was immediately rectified.
Food at the neighbouring restaurant was sublime, I recommend the eggs bendict for breakfast and the peanut shortbread and salted caramel icecream.
Location was ideal, walking distance from British Museum, Royal Academy, China Town and main theatres.
Can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LadySugarfoot
Reviewed April 5, 2010

we knew we were booking the tiny room and so weren't at all surprised at its size and to be honest for a one night stay its fine
BUT we stayed four nights and the size became a problem! also the bed doesn't properly fit its frame so there's a gap and my husband and I both have bruises from bumping into the corner of the frame.
the room was stifling hot and we kept turning the heating off and the staff kept turning it back on...
we thought the bathroom was great as were the toiletries.
and the lovely touch of giving you a 'treats' box with homemade biscuits was lovely
but and here is our real disappointment
breakfast in the restaurant - what a letdown for us. we were only 2 people in (it was 730am but restaurant opened at 7) - two members of staff couldn't have cared less. I ordered a bread basket and was beyond disappointed to get a pastry basket - two croissants, a pastry and a bun. I have eaten in lots of london restaurants for breakfast and had fabulous bread baskets. this wasn't one of them. my husband's scrambled eggs and bacon was mediocre. the cost of breakfast was ridiculous considering what we had.... when we told the reception staff (after they said how was your stay?) they said oh sorry about that and quickly changed the subject.
nice enough hotel but needs some improvements

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lynniemac13
Reviewed April 4, 2010

Decided to spend a few days in London, on the rebound from a long business trip in Asia. I tried to book The Soho Hotel, where I usually stay, but they were booked. I recall seeing Dean Street Townhouse, on my last trip in December, and decided to try it out.
I chose a "bigger room" and have to say I loved the space and the furnishings.
The shower room is fantastic along with the Cowshed products and the bed was very comfortable.
My room, No. 32, faced Dean Street and I didn't experience the noise that some mentioned, on this site.
All that being said they need to work on room service. On both days, when I returned mid afternoon, the room had not been serviced. Annoying actually, since just as you're trying to relax, they show up. Both nights, no turn down service. One morning I called for breakfast, they were clearly busy, I was told they would call me right back -- they never did.
I understand it's a small establishment, but they need to fine tune this detail.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank gcosta58
Reviewed March 28, 2010

As you have probably read this hotel is splashed over the Travel press regularly..... it's got its major plus points... but overall needs to get a bit of a grip on the details...

The Plus Points....

1) Great location - no more than 10 mins walk to Oxford Street, Theatreland & Leicester Square. The nearest tube is Tottenham Court Road.... again around 10 mins away.
2) Good room at the back of reception for a read of the paper and a decent coffee
3) Shower & all the Cow Shed products to try....

The Negatives

1) We stayed in a Tiny room.... this was no problem at all BUT you would expect them to try to de clutter the room (lots of crisps/wine, etc on all available surfaces) so the room became even tinier!

2) The bathroom.... again... designed by someone who has never tried to stay in the room... no hooks for towels or bathrobes.

3) Mirrors.... my wife really struggled to do hair/put make up on.... very few mirrors and the lighting around them was poor.

4) The Staff.... when you ask for a recommendation for a decent cocktail/wine bar and you get told ' if you wanted that type of thing you should have stayed in Covent Garden' then it ain't good. We found our own... with absolutely no thanks to them. Also, there was a general aura of we'll get to you in our own sweet time and ask you the same question 10 times as we aren't really listening... when we were leaving (at 4.30ish) there were a couple of guests getting irate that their room wasn't ready..... and not getting anywhere with the reception staff.

My overall impression was we got a bargain rate (as we booked v early) of £95 per night for a small room in an average hotel.

If you have any questions you want answering let me know!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple