“A tiny room - with a quality finish.”

Dean Street Townhouse
Ranked #132 of 1,088 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“A tiny room - with a quality finish.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

The offer of a tiny room or broom cupboard in a 5 star hotel sounds far from ideal, but this place has it wrapped.

Room 20 / The Tiny Room provided a welcome escape from the chaos of Soho... Small yes but it had everything and more you could ask for.

An odd thing to mention... but on this occasion I was travelling light, so light that I had nothing with me other than the bag I started my day with !! The amenities in the bathroom were as if I had packed my wash bag, from deo to a razor it had everything and more !!

Thanks for a warm welcome and a fab bolt hole.

Room Tip: Head up to the top of the building to avoid the street noise... although ear plugs come as standard...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Greek first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I had a too-short, one-night stay at DST at the end of April. Upgraded [always appreciated!] to the largest style of room upon arrival, I made myself at home right away. Loved the buzzy Soho location and the pleasant staff, the rainforest power shower and the four poster bed - and the little touches like the hair straighteners and the cookie jar! Oh, and a fine breakfast. Very recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

I've stayed at Dean Street several times ... and between that have also had to stay in several other London hotels either for lack of availability or client-dictated hotels. But every time I'm able to come back to Dean Street, there's just no comparison. It's the perfect hotel for me - and one of my favorites anywhere in the world. (well, I wish it had an in-house gym, but otherwise perfect - and they do have a cooperative agreement with a gym that's not too far away)

This past week - I spent the first part of my trip in another hotel in the neighborhood because of availability (the highly rated Soho Hotel) - and even though the Soho Hotel is very high quality, I found myself just missing the charm, comfort, and graciousness of Dean Street - and couldn't wait to get back there. And when I did check in to Dean Street, I found it as excellent as ever.

Be aware that this hotel is very small and quiet (good things in my book) ... and it has very little in the way of public spaces. It feels like a very elegant, comfortable country inn right in the middle of Soho. The service is brilliant, the rooms are lovely, important details like bedding and towels are very high quality, bathroom amenities are very well done and think of everything, showers are marvelous... (and the biscuits on the tea tray are fab :)

The adjacent restaurant is also excellent. It's very popular but still the service is great and completely without attitude. (don't miss the twice-baked haddock souffle - the minute I book a trip to London I always start craving it :) The Dean Street dining room is a favorite spot of mine to take clients and go with friends, and it's very comfortable for solo meals as well. (And a really lovely spot for high tea).

Room Tip: Select at least the small room category and look at the square footage estimates, to be sure you'...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I found myself in London for a quick two-night stay, and loved the location and vibe of this boutique hot spot. The staff were so friendly and helpful, and the restaurant next door made for easy dining. The gym is a few blocks away and not on the premises. Small price to pay for such a comfy, easy-going hotel. Soho House members enjoy a discount, and that was a nice surprise. Thumbs way way up.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

This was our third stay at Dean Street so, yes, we like it and that’s why we return. This time the room we were offered had a badly worn carpet, and I mean badly worn – down to the rubber underlay in two places. It not only looked poor, it was dangerous. And for nigh on £300 a night as well...

We asked for another room, the second one had a large stain on the carpet. As it was my wife’s birthday I decided to bite the bullet and pay for an upgrade. When I asked the desk they advised that the hotel was fully booked. However, a few minutes later the manager knocked at our door to offer us a free upgrade to a front facing room. This was unexpected and very gracious of him.

So, room 3. This was a great front facing room on the third floor. Again, slight stains on the furnishings but that’s the drawback of having cream/ white cloth settees and chairs I guess.

Previously we’d gone for rear facing rooms in the light of the comments about the street noise so this was a new experience for us. You do pick up noise, primarily because Dean Street is a fairly narrow street with three or four story buildings so any noise tends to bounce around. This being Soho., the sound of people out and about can go on into the early hours – we stayed Wednesday and Thursday and I’m pleased to say that the noise wasn’t too bad and we slept OK.
The bathrooms are outstanding, the best I’ve ever seen and the generous supply of Cowshed products a real plus. We took breakfast in the restaurant on one day, finding it full of people doing power breakfasts. If I could have bagged and sold the pretence being bandied about by the clientele I’d be a rich man. It’s an amusing if slightly concerning sight.

Dean Street offer two pricing rates, one for members and one for the public. I haven’t the faintest idea how you become a member of the club, to paraphrase Groucho I wouldn’t join any club that would have me as a member anyway.

On balance, I see the carpet incident as a blip and we will return. The hotel is perfectly situated and the staff are always accommodating. And there are the bathrooms, which are always worth returning for....

Room Tip: Ask for a back room. Also, don't skimp on the cost and go for as big a room as you can muster.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Karl T
Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Soho house properties are supposed to be hip places, where the jet set briefly descend amongst the locals, like angels and disappear into the night (likely to some cool party where we werent invited). So when a friend wanted to stay at Soho's Dean Street Townhouse, I accepted gladly. Depsite the intriguing entry, the rooms are really dull English beige overstuffed armchair types of rooms. I love the large space but not at all modern and not remotely hip. I like modern. Not kitsch but yes, contemporary. Forget it. Dean Street may as well be Sloane Square the way its decorated and the madness of the location is not much fun. The restaurant is the breakfast area, where we spent about 30 pounds each for breakfast, which was not included. (what??) So we prefer the NY Soho house, of course, and the other London properties. Still, I like Covent Garden hotel, (its traditional, but has more sophisticated interiors and a far better location. Oh, and we love the indoor cinema and fresh popcorn just for guests). I'll pass on Dean Street.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank travelfashionista
Miami
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Very quiet hotel that sits next door to a more lively restaurant. We liked our room. I think we had a medium room. Main sleeping room was quite large. We asked for a shower and not a tub, so we were given a handicap room which had the coolest bathroom/ wet room- about 10' x 10' square wet room with toilet in one corner and the shower open in the other. The Cowshed toiletries were very nice- they have full sized shavers and ample creams. You really do not need to bring a toiletry bag. Staff was nice. Overall hotel design is amazingly nice.
London is expensive - that is the only downside.

Room Tip: If you want a shower and not a tub- ask for the Handicap Room- huge bathroom.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple