“Fantastic value for money and central location :-)”

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea
Ranked #11 of 837 Specialty Lodging in London
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Fantastic value for money and central location :-)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I loved the friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Also loved the location (about 7 mins walk from Pimlico tube station, which is only a few stops from central London) Also really close to Camden and there's a bus stop right outside the hostel. They offer free soft drinks (juice, tea, coffee) all the time, a free breakfast (until 10:30 every day) and free wi-fi (although the signal wasn't great in the bar area). The dorms are a little cramped but on the plus side there's plenty of plug sockets and plenty of showers. There's no kitchen for those planning a more long term stay but we were only here for the weekend, so it didn't matter to us. For the price and the fact that it's minutes from central London, I'd definitely recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank cactuschild

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
GC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I could not have hoped for more in the 30 hours I had in London. Best bits: friendly staff who were extremely helpful, letting me securely store my bags either side of check in/out & who helped me figure out the hot water & transport; bonus breakfast on early arrival (invaluable after 36 hours travel); relaxed friendly international vibe, including with the excellent Thai food; and the location was awesome! I highly recommend the Barclays bicycle hire right outside the door, it's such a fun, cheap and easy way to see London. 5 minutes to Big Ben? Too easy! I missed the open mic and party night, but I'm sure it's great. Thanks Travel Joy & your team for making such a short stay so memorable :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ColourAdo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

it's a nice hostel!! i staye there for three nights and i had a nice experience.
they have many shower rooms so you rarely need to queue for showering.
free drinks are provided downstairs in the bar, just grab a glass and help youself.
staff are nice and friendly, the hostel near the bus station which you can take bus 24 to go to or come back from Victoria railway station.

but if you are travelling with huge, fat and a lot of pieces of luggage you might find it hard to bring all your stuff up to your room, the hostel does not have a lift. It still a great place tho.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank HuangHuangHuang
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed here in September for a week whilst I was working in London and couldn't have been happier. It's difficult to find a reasonably priced but clean and decent place to stay in London but this definately fits the bill. I arrived early in the morning due to my flight and was able to leave my bags there until I could check in later that day, this was great as it meant that I didn't have to drag them around all day. I stayed in an 8 bed room which as well maintained and cleaned every day I was there. The staff were great, welcoming and friendly and the Thai food in the bar is really good. Great location, short walk to the tube and really easy to get around. I ill be back in London in a few months and will definately be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank 228chantelle
Bordeaux, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I went twice at Travel Joy Hostel : the first time was with my boyfriend, and then with a friend. We met cool people, boys and girls who work at the hotel and bar are fabulously kind, and open stage + breakfast buffet + wifi spot + all the services was great ! Thanks for everything guys ! See you soon (I hope) !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jadesequeval
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

This was the first hostel I had ever stayed in, but have stayed in more since. It was okay. The Thai food at the bar is EXCELLENT so I loved that bit. It was a bit grungy and the only hostel that I wanted to wear shoes in the shower for. The location is right on the river which is fun. There is a bus stop right outside the hostel, but the tube station is further away. I love walking so I didn't mind so much, but I tend to prefer a more central location. The neighborhood is quiet, seems mostly residential, I only saw one other pub in the area. Reception staff was nice and I met some interesting people at the bar, though most said that they were looking for other hostels to stay in. The locker situation was okay, but there were not enough in the room, so some people used lockers out in the hallway. I actually preferred this so I could be noisy early in the morning. Most of the people I met were in London to sightsee and tended to be early risers rather than night owls, but this was just my experience.

Room Tip: Stayed in 10 bed room on top floor-great windows for lots of natural light and ventilation. Can'...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Sarah B
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Very friendly staff, great location. A atmosphere very unlikely to match and besides the thrill and fun you can have it there, upstairs, at your bedroom you can relax with some peace quiet.
Awesome place, you should definately consider booking at Travel Joy.

Room Tip: I think, even though I am not sure, that the rooms of the last floor are the ones which fit more peo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo