“Prime Location, Pricing, Service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea
Ranked #10 of 828 Specialty Lodging in London
Toronto, Canada
“Prime Location, Pricing, Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

I spent 3 nights here in June 2012.

When you arrive, you are greeted with a map and a quick breakdown of popular destinations throughout the city. The staff work so hard to make you comfortable during your stay and virtually everything is provided to you for free: breakfast, towels, drinks, WIFI, even ear plugs!

The rooms are cleaned regularly and each bed as a curtain which is great for maintaining some degree of privacy when living in such close quarters. My room had an ensuite shower and sink but no toilet. We had to go upstairs to use the bathroom but this was never a problem and neither was the water pressure or temperature, which I know can be a bit of an issue for some people.

The hostel itself is situated along the Thames River in a quiet, safe and pleasant neighbourhood within walking distance of many popular attractions. The bus stop is literally right out the front door and it will take you straight to Victoria Station from which you can get to anywhere in the city via the Underground.

If you are comfortable living in close quarters with up to 16 other people, as most backpackers are, the Travel Joy is an excellent option in a beautiful part of London. I wish I stayed longer.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank marekov

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Usually I stay with family but this trip we decided to try out a hostel. First impressions were it was very laid back and cosy - we instantly felt so at home! The people working there are friendly and really went out of their way to help you out. My friend actually hurt her leg and one of the owners was so nice that he drove us to the hospital. We stayed in a room for 6 people and later 12 and had no problems. Bathrooms, Showers and Toilets are communal if you don't grab an ensuite room which I found was sometimes better than the ensuite (depending on how many people are in your room). We loved the free wifi, which had a great connection compared to some of the other hostels we stayed in around europe! Breakfast, considering it's continental, was a surprise as they provide hard boiled eggs on top of your usual cereals,toasts etc. But if your worried about spending money on food, sandwich shops are really inexpensive and filling in London. Atmosphere and location was another highlight - the 24 hour bus that takes you right into town is just on the doorstep! And Pimlico station is around a 5 minute walk. We had the best time at this hostel and I can't recommend it enough!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank aroberts8
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

I stayed at Travel Joy for two nights during the middle of June when I went to London to hear a lecture. I simply needed a place to stay and had been to London several times before. Travel Joy seemed ideal from the glowing reviews and clean appearance. My experience lived up to my expectations and, in some ways, even surpassed them. When I arrived the staff checked in quickly (there was a bit of a confusion over whether or not I needed a passport, they at least need the number!) and showed me to my room. I was in a room with twelve bed female-only room on a bottom bunk. The room was clean and bright, with lockers in each room. Some people used them, but mostly people put their bags underneath their bed which seemed to work perfectly fine. Only some of the beds had curtains around them, I wold have preferred if they all did, but as long as you bring a sleep mask (if you want to go to sleep early), you should be fine.

The shower situation wasn't ideal, they kept going off when I was in them, but they were clean and ample. I never had to wait for one, which was a welcome surprise. There was a bit of noise from the people staying next to me, but not excessive and that is to be expected when staying in a communal area. They serve a complementary breakfast, which I didn't try but seemed to be quite typical for hotel/hostel meals. There is also free wifi, always a bonus.

For transport links, Travel Joy is surprisingly ideal. There's a bus stop straight out front with buses that regularly run to Victoria station. Pimlico tube station is about a ten minute, very pleasant, walk.

Overall, I'd recommend Travel Joy to anyone looking for cheap accommodation in London. As long as you don't mind a bit of noise and don't want to spend the entire day relaxing in your room, you'll have a great stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank emilialiveslife
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

This hostel I thought was really cool. Clean, heaps of people to talk too, pretty good Thai food at a reasonable price. What I liked about the location is there is a bus right out front that takes you to Vic station and Local underground station Pimlico. I also liked the area felt pretty safe as I have with all of central London..the only thing is that the room are a bit squeezing but your just there to sleep.. Also good think showers r hot!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank SuzieQ1611
Nuremberg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

Very good personal: they help by our activities and we can ask all the day. We became a lot of informations. Soft drinks are free. Internet is okay. The rooms are very full (in a little room 10 beds). Breakfast is simple but okay. The bus station is in front of the hostel.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Kirsten P
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

I've stayed at quite a few hostels in London, and this is one of the better ones. The free breakfast in the morning is better than most, only because they offer hard boiled eggs and musli as well as the typical toast/jam and corn flakes. The beds are just ok, and I stayed in one room that was great and one that was "meh," so it looks like it's hit & miss. Beds are probably the wobbliest I've stayed in, so when your bunkmate moves, you move. Free lockers (use your own lock or buy theirs) is great and a good size. Staff is great, and guests get free tea, coffee, soda, orange juice, etc the whole stay, which is great. No kitchen, but guests can use the common minifridge and microwave, which is plenty for grab & go cheap meals from the nearby Tesco. The immediate neighborhood doesn't have much, but it's about 50 feet from the 24 hour bus stop for bus 24, which goes all the way up to Camden - it's great. Free wifi and a good atmosphere make this my first choice when coming back to London.

Room Tip: Try to get the bottom bunk - the beds are wobbly. Some rooms have a nice curtain on the bottom bunk...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Christopher B
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

This place was perfect for us. We wanted to see the attractions London has to offer and this place made it possible. A bus stop right at the door and a regular service (approx. every 15 minutes) 24/7 will take you to the center of the action in about 5 minutes.

The staff were super friendly and very helpful with any clues you need to get around the city. They offer free drinks all day (non alcaholic eg. juices, tea, coffee, cola, water etc) and breakfast. In the evenings they they have a nice menu for dinner. For the party-goers this is a must as the bar is great and on the right nights the atmosphere is great and with 24/7 buses a trip into the city is easy.

The dorm was okay, just a little cramped if you have a bit of luggage. Nice big lockers for any valuable though. And with any dorm room expect to have little or broken sleep with people coming and going all night (but they do offer free ear plugs at reception!!)

Room Tip: If you need sleep then PRIVATE room
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple