“The perfect youth hostel”

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea
Ranked #17 of 928 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed January 22, 2012

I am not a big fan of youth hostels, I think I have been just in 3 hostels during my whole life. And it is easy to know why: even if they are the cheapest option, they are generally really dirty, badly organised and dodgy, so I always prefer to choose other options. But this time I had to choose a youth hostel to spend some days while looking for a room in London and I picked up Travel Joy guided by the reviews on the net (that is why I am writing my own!).

- The staff is amazingly nice and really helpful, they would even go with you to your room to show you your bed and bring your linen and towels (that if you think about that it is nothing, but it still makes you feel good). Even when I tried to extend my stay and there was not availability, they really helped me out finding another place.

- The hostel is CLEAN. That is the most important thing to me. Especially toilets and showers, generally the most disgusting and unhealthy spot of youth hostels.

- The room are well organised, with a screen showing your name, the duration of your stay and which bed has been assigned to you.

- There is a pub at the reception where you can get free soft drinks all day long and a free breakfast in the morning, including milk, cereals, toasts, butter, jam, orange and apple juice (as far as I can remember).

It is definitely a hostel I would recommend and to which I would go back.

Room Tip: I have always been in the room 5, you can hear noises from the road but it is not loud and the road...
3  Thank Alessio D

Reviewed January 16, 2012

I think this is one of the best Hostels I've ever stayed in. They have great people at the bar and reception, they have free beverages at all times, free wifi, and really clean rooms as well as bathrooms. It has a really good location and the bus 24 (which is 24hrs) leaves you right in the door of the hostel which I found really handy as the tube is closed past midnight. I would definitely stayed there again. Cheers and Thanks.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Juan F
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I stayed here for two nights and thought it was a good place because of the friendly staff, but not much more. To enter the room you had to push in a pin code, this was supposed to be the code for this room only, but woke up in the middle of the night when some guys came in and looked for their beds (I was in a female only dorm).
The room was small, dirty, bed lumpy and unfortunality the other guest played music and had a party all night, the walls are thin.
No elevator and lived on the top floor, not ideal when you have a large bag. The bar/lounge area was nice, and the food was good. The showers were clean, toilets ok (no paper 9 out of 10 times and smelly) but better than most places.
You get what you pay for, I wouldn't sleep here again because of the dirty room and uncomfortable bed BUT the food, friendly atmosphere in the lounge and staff is definately a plus!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Emma A
Reviewed January 15, 2012

To begin with, I had really low expectations as the cost was cheap as. However I was pleasantly surprised! The rooms although small didn't matter as the ppl in my room and the staff had a big welcome for me :) I made friends easily and as they were in similar circumstances as me, we travelled around and its such a comfort to have another person riding on the tubes with you as you find the tourist sites on the maps provided by the Hostel. Great location, friendly staff, awesome travel buddies, clean bed and free breakfast - what more could you ask for???

Room Tip: Get the room for 6 travellers with the ensuite and the balcony.
1  Thank Katherine S
Reviewed January 4, 2012

After staying at several hostels in London I was happy to find this place. Actually its one of the best hostels I've been at in europe. The room was pleasant and had a view of the Thames and balcony! I met many cool interesting people at the bar downstairs, which is comfortable, has good food and good wifi. There is a bus that leaves every 10 minutes 10 steps from the hostel door. The bed wasn't the greatest, but that is what the bar downstairs is for. Have a few guineses or ciders before bed and it doesn't really matter. I would definitely recommend this hostel for people looking for a fun atmosphere. Oh and the restaurant is pretty decent and reasonable.

2  Thank sonasi1234
Reviewed December 28, 2011

After doing extensive research on hostels in London, this one still had accommodation available making me sceptical, but it has surprised me and impressed me.

• The hostel is spotlessly clean-both the rooms and bathrooms. Showers are a bit cramped, but not that big an issue.

• The rooms are packed with 6 bunk beds, with an associated locker for each person (smaller valuable lockers with password protection also available). Some might say there are too many beds, but knowingly staying in a hostel, I wasn't expecting the space associated to a hotel room. Deapite all the above, I woke up refreshed every morning.

• The pub downstairs provides free drinks (juice, cola) the entire day, as well as a free breakfast. In the evening they have a set menus serving Thai foods as well as burgers, chips, etc you'd find on any European menu.

• Free Internet

• This hotel is situated perfectly for travelling. It is situated on bus route 24, which is a 24 hour route, and this route takes you through Trafalgar square and Camden town. It is also a 10min walk to the tube station (or 2min bus ride) on the Victoria line.

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank mrkleinsmith
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Location to all sights and public transport was extremely good. However the rooms are incredibly tiny, the metal frames on beds are very noisy and the rooms are unbearably hot due to exessive heating. Furthermore while the shower facilities are very clean, the only water temperature you can choose is either scolding hot or freezing cold. Finally there is little atmosphere in the common bar area and the many of the staff have a limited grasp of the english language.

• Stayed: November 2011