“Dont be fooled, a good location but extremely tiny rooms with little atmosphere”

and 1 more site!
Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea
Ranked #13 of 896 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Location to all sights and public transport was extremely good. However the rooms are incredibly tiny, the metal frames on beds are very noisy and the rooms are unbearably hot due to exessive heating. Furthermore while the shower facilities are very clean, the only water temperature you can choose is either scolding hot or freezing cold. Finally there is little atmosphere in the common bar area and the many of the staff have a limited grasp of the english language.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank marvellous17
There are newer reviews for Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea

Reviewed August 9, 2011

It´s a very good located hostel with a bus stop just in front of the hostel, number 24 bus which takes you into central London 24 hours. Underground Pimlico is just 10 minutes walking too. The toilets and showers are inside your room and we were very lucky because we have a balcony terrace with a Thames River view.The room was suppossed be cleaned everyday, but there were some plastic bottles under the beds that they are still there....in room four and even an empty glass on the terrace table (it was there at least for 5 days).You can get some food from a Thai Restaurant which is in the hostel,Free Wi-fi with your laptop and live music bands on Saturdays

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank pikinina
Reviewed June 18, 2011

I had a memorable evening with some brilliant Mexican Globe trotter & best service I've ever had from a bar lady named Janet who was incredibly good & served us with a good patience even though we're late.I'd just love to say a perfect atmosphere. The reason why I had been there wasn't pleasant at all. Bcoz I had to appear for an online exam that day in London. But one of the exam module had been delayed & reannounced for next day afternoon. But I got the message at around 4pm was wondering where could I stay tonight. Usually I never spend the night in London . But it was one of those situtaions when you've no choices left for you. I started searching around for a travel agent who deals with tourist accomodation .Then I found one at Victoria train station, they advised me for a hostel considering my spending & I was a bit hesitated about sharing a room with some anonymous people. But I was convinced by them . Then I headed for a new experience. When I got there , I approached a gentleman, who helped me to check in & he sent one of his staff to guide me towards the room. I was convinced seeing. digital locking system at the entrance of the hostel. Wihtout passcode no one is able to get in to the house & even at every single room has got unique passcode for it's users. It would have been nice , if they could reduce the no of people for every room. But the room was undoubtedly clean & so the bathroom. The floor carpet was good enough to avoid the noise , specially when someone was asleep . The breakfast was at 7.30 am though I couldn't taste it , I just had a glass of juice & left early in the morning. But the evening was great with those new friends in the bar. I had to resist myself from extra drinking , but we had a group conversation & we sat at the front yard of the pub late at night & sang & then went in when it was closed for outsiders but for the guests who're staying in . In fact an ideal place for students or for any day tripper in London.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Jahidemon
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Stayed here for a few nights and can't complain about anything except the rooms were a bit crowded. You have decent sized locker for every bed, security codes on the room door and outside door and it's in a really lovely neighbourhood. So you can choose to go out and get crazy, coming back to a peaceful hostel or stay for the night drinking beers in the pub downstairs. Some of the rooms have balcony overlooking the Thames - ask for one of these! The staff were great, no problems with anyone. Best of all pretty much all the food I tried on the menu was awesome. Just delicious Thai food. Having arrived straight from 4 months in Thailand I can honestly say the Pad Thai here is one of the best (although not spicy enough!) I've tried. What an unexpected surprise! Would highly recommend this very clean, bright and relaxed hostel in a convenient location to go sightseeing.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Lilmontheroad
Reviewed May 10, 2011

I stayed in an 10 bed female. The room should only hold 8! It was so small the ladders off the bunks all touched each other. My ladder was just sitting there, the bolts were missing! Nothing was keeping it there very dangerous! The beds were very unstable and squeeky. Matresses old and uncomfortable same with the pillows. Bedding sucked too. One night we came in and I guess staff had came and opened and cleaned the windows, well they didn't close it, it was stuck open and we froze all night! Its on a busy loud street but the bar underneath is quiet you will only hear the cars on the street. I did not eat any of the food they served. The boy working was very helpful and friendly upon our arrival. Its easy to get anywhere from this hostel just take the number 24 bus :) 2 security codes needed to get in this was nice and safe. The showers had low pressure and the shower head wouldn't stay up.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 29, 2011

I stayed at this hostel for a full 2 weeks , so I think I have a good feel for the quality of the hostel. Below is a review of what I feel to be the important aspects when deciding on which hostel to stay at.

STAFF: Wonderful. The owners are two Irishmen that are very friendly and hard working. They and some of the staff went above and beyond to help give directions and assist wherever possible.

SERVICE: As stated above, wonderful. People are friendly and willing to help when they can.

BREAKFAST: Good. The typical (at least American) continental breakfast of bread/toast, jams, cereal, muesli, juices, coffee, etc.

LUNCH AND DINNER OPTIONS: The food at the pub downstairs is phenomenal, seriously. It has the typical pub food, but also has a great Thai menu. I was hesitant at first to try the Thai food, but once I did, had it twice more. The average price is about 8 BP.

LOCATION: Better than I had expected. There is a bus right outside the front door, Bus 24, which goes all over London. The best part, is that the bus is 24 hours, so it is really easy to get anywhere without having to worry about when the Underground closes. So, stay out as late as you want and know you can always get back easily. If you plan on traveling around quite a bit, or are in London for a week, get the day or week travel pass. It saves the hassle of digging out change all the time for the bus and saves quite a bit of money. Also, it is right on the Thames River in Chelsea. So, immediately surrounding the hostel, it is a quite neighborhood, but it is walking distance or a quick bus ride to all of London's attractions.

INTERNET: It does cost to use the internet, but is reasonable. I had my laptop with me and just paid for the full week use (8 BP). They also have a hourly and daily rate, either for wifi or for the computers that they have. The internet works really well, from the top floor all the way to the basement. Or, if you have a laptop and don't want to pay, there are several pubs or coffee shops in London that have free wifi. Just watch for the sign in the windows.

SHOWERS: Great. Didn't run out of hot water, whatever time. Many hostels are known to have issues with hot water and get hit on it, as they should. No problem here though, which was great. One morning, there was a bit lower pressure and cool water, but right when the staff found out, one of the owners was up right away fixing it. The water was back to normal quickly and the owner personally was very apologetic. Out of the whole week, that was the only time it happened. So, overall, the showers are great.

SECURITY: The hostel is on top of a pub, which closes at 11:00 most nights. On check-in, each person is given two security codes. One is for the front door, so you can get in and out 24 hours a day, and the other is on the individual rooms or dorm/bunk bed rooms. Plus, everyone gets a locker (big enough to fit a medium size suitcase even, so pretty large), and can bring a padlock or can buy one from the desk at 5 BP. The place is very secure.

I hope that helps. This really is a great hostel. If I am back in London, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Shaher252000
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Pros: Helpful and friendly staff, free non-alcoholic drinks all-day, computers with internet access available, great bar downstairs with really good live music, nice spot on the river, quiet area, beautiful old restored building, balcony right outside of room, good food at the restaurant, free continental breakfast (toast, cereal, juice, coffee, tea), great location: bus stop outside & easy walking distance to the tube and other attractions.

Cons: Bed frames are weak, mattresses are very thin & uncomfortable, sheets/blankets are old and stained, rooms are dirty (dead insects, garbage from past guests on shelves and floors, paint peeling), rooms are very small and cramped (4 bunks barely fit in the room), disorganized staff & bookings (on my last night, I arrived home late from the pub to find someone else sleeping in my bed!).

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple