“My First Hostel Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Phoenix Hostel

Phoenix Hostel
Ranked #152 of 837 Specialty Lodging in London
Minneapolis, MN
“My First Hostel Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

I was visiting London with a few friends back in March 2012 when they chose to go home but I wanted to stay longer. Bunk beds were a bit claustrophobic... it was impossible to get in or out of the bed without crawling. But the place seemed very safe, people were friendly, and the "bar" area was a good place to just hang out during the day to meet other travelers. The free computer was fantastic for me since I had a lot of flight booking to do and didn't have a laptop with me, and being a walking distance to the underground was a life saver. Possibly my favorite day while I was there was grabbing a map and walking to the palace to see the changing of the guard. It wasn't a particularly short walk, but it was manageable.

So basically, good location, good people, acceptable amenities (like the continental breakfast, which was mostly cereal and toast, but greatly appreciated in any case.) Furthermore, I was usually very tired when I returned to the hostel so NOTHING kept me awake even for five minutes despite being in a room with 10 other people who turned the lights on at odd times. If I even briefly mentioned that I was trying to sleep, the people were really respectful and did their best not to be disruptive. Finally, everything was SUPER clean despite the fact that they were doing renovations while I was there. Well done, Phoenix!

The one negative: The bathrooms were so incredibly TINY! I am a relatively thin girl, but after taking a shower, there was hardly any room to put clothing back on. I actually had to stand in the shower to get dressed because the floor space outside of the shower was almost entirely taken up by a small sink coming from the wall. It was uncomfortable, but for what I was paying, I expected worse.

As for comments that this in a sketchy area, I guess I come from a relatively large city (small compared to London, but still large) so this neighborhood didn't strike me as even a little bit out of the norm. Just like any other place, I wouldn't suggest walking alone at night, but I never once felt unsafe.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank apis183

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

The photos of the hostel are very misleading, its basically a run-down version. The bathrooms are tiny, and horrible. Although the bed sheets are clean, the rooms are very squashed, the bump beds aren't stable, especially the top bunk. There was also white powder on the window sill. After we checked in & got into our room, the cleaner walked in a started cleaning the room in front of us. The bar, isn't much of a bar, the place is very quiet, and dead, its just a hostel that sells drink. The location is quiet but dodgy at night. Two of my female friends got followed by 5 different men as they came to meet us at the hostel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tw I

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

After booking this hostel, I went to see the comments, and I was very scared ...
Now that I'm gone I can finally give my opinion ... The rooms are clean, toilets are ok and clean showers ...
The only thing is that the toilets and showers are rather small, but as long as it is clean ...
And then he should not expect a palace when you pay 18 pounds a night, breakfast included ... must ... not abuse!
team is nice, specially the French at the reception who casually refer to Jonathan's very friendly and very cheerful and helpful, the metro is 3 minutes walk, plus it is very well located for visiting and ... in addition there are tea and coffee will ....
For noise, well it is a hostel, so it depends who you sleep! People are friendly or not, make noise when they sleep or wake up but otherwise it's pretty quiet.
short for the price it is more than good!!

Pierre

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Pierre287
Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Absolutely brilliant hostel. Our first night in London we booked a private room at a different location and then second and third night's spent here in a 6 bed dorm. Met some absolutely amazing people and the staff are incredibly friendly! Scott checked us in and told us where were the best places to go for the nightlife and Sam the night porter was super friendly, having a chat with us at 2am on the second night :) Victoria the cleaner was fab too, friendly and did an amazing job. The hostel is super cheap, you have to pay for lockers but we left our things on our beds instead and it seems safe enough (nothing's missing at least!). Most of the people who come here and awesome but obviously there are some not so great but that's the same where ever you stay. Excellent location, 5-10mins walk from several tube stations and maybe half hour walk from oxford street. We walked back from Leicester square at night in around an hour (we went the super long way. I 100% recommend this hostel and will be going back next time I go to London. Only negative thing I can say is the showers aren't all that powerful but hey, they're warm and good enough. Oh and only one plug in our room worked but there are plenty downstairs in the social area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Well where to begin... this hostel is the most boring hostel ive ever stayed at! The Rooms are extremely small and crammed! The bathroom showers were horrible the worst ive ever seen! the sheets dont get changed.... The bar downstairs is like a cafe and everyone is quiet! My girlfriends and i were the only ones going out at night! Overall I would not recommend this hostel to anyone who wants to have a good time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank 84travelgirl
Manresa, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

I reciebed a bad tract from an old man with white hair, it represents that's an hostel for young people not for 60 years old people. But there are good people in it like Jonatan and Ellena. The rooms are clean and correct. The bathrooms are a little bit dirty and very little like the showers (doesn't work correctly). Some places of the hostel smells bad. The security is not bad. The locattion is very good. The internet... It's like don't have connection because fall down every minute. If i have to live in london again before I search another place for don't see again this old and annoying man.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank YamiGhor10
Lee, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Small rooms and a bit old but if all you need is a bed to sleep in then here is a good cheap hostel. The staff were very friendly and I loved the bar downstairs (cheap drinks). I had a good sleep even with many people sharing the room with me. Lovely friendly people about. I'd say not a bad find.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo