As a family we travel quite a bit ranging from 3* to 5* and I have NEVER had to pay to have a bigger room due to the hotels lack of experience/mistake. Long story short, I booked what they have advertise as a family room, I told them about my children and what type of room I would need WELL BEFORE ARRIVAL DATE, upon check in we were shown to the room which was clearly too small to the point of dangerous, I went to reception to ask to be moved and apparently the room that would have been suitable for us was occupied so was shown another room that was a little more expensive but had the audacity to be told I would have to pay!?!?!? While I will admit the charge was only a few pounds and I ended up paying only because I wanted a quiet life, considering it was their mistake for not keeping a room aside that could feesably fit an extra bed i thought this was quite cheeky to say the least. Upon check out I explained the "issue" to the man on reception, and although appeared to be concerned he was not and then had the cheek to say "oh if I could refund you the upgrade charge I would" now I have stayed in many hotels, this year alone to date I have stayed in 15 different hotels for various lengths of time, plus in my youthful days I used to work on FOH in a hotel, so I know for a fact if he wanted to take off the charge he could have my husband handn't even paid at that point. Greed seems to be the main focus at this hotel and have very little concern for keeping guests, I was also unimpressed by the bathroom TV not working, again before booking I expressed that this was one of the reasons that swung it for me booking this hotel, and nothing was mentioned about the TV's not actually working and have not been for some time, again I feel something like this should be honestly explained at the time of booking but they only seem interested in getting your booking/money.
Dispite my issues, I do like to try and be as fair as possible and on a plus side, the hotel rooms do have the "WOW" factor, the bathrooms are huge, infact I do think its a waste of space, but it was nice and quite rare to find such big bathroom, bed was very comfy and huge (if you request the king bed as the rooms do not all have king beds), the hand/body wash was beautiful and the jacuzzi was really nice, and the room overall was very nice. If you do not have your own laptop they can loan you one at reception which I think is a really good idea, but that may just have been because the one in the library was not working. The breakfast was ok, the staff were very nice and they made the tastiest made to order scrambled eggs I have had in a long time.
However if one has ever stayed in a true 5* (just the night before I was at the Waldorf) you will be disappointed here. There was no turndown service, no tissues in bathroom or anywhere in the room at that, no facecloths, tatty looking waffle bathrobes, no clock, not even on the TV, no welcome/info pack on the hotel, and no room service menu all these things you could easily find in most 4* hotels so why they are not in a 5* is beyond me, yes they have only been open for 5 months, but there are some things that should be in the rooms from day one.
Overall I would say this hotel has lots of style but no substance, customer service/receptionists is so-so but nothing like you would get at the Waldorf, The Dorchester or the Arch. At the moment with the rates they are charging they can just about get away with all that I pointed out, staff also need to hold their hands up and admit when they make a mistake instead of trying to make the guest feel bad and then charge them for it.
Would I stay here again? I probably would have if it wasn't for the fact that i had to pay to go into a bigger room due to their mistake and the outright lie the guy at checkout told me about not being able to refund the charge, greedy and dishonest staff = A never again to be visited, for me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rafayel on the Left Bank boasts 70 designer "smart" rooms, champagne bar, riverside restaurant and conference facilities, exhibition spaces as well as the latest spa and beauty treatments and gym. Rafayel is one of the world's most advanced luxury green hotels and proves that hotels can dramatically reduce their carbon emission output without compromising on five-star luxury, quality or comfort. Located on the River Thames at the heart of London's most dynamic riverside development, with sweeping views across to Chelsea Harbour, Rafayel is minutes from the shopping areas of Sloane Square and Knightsbridge and is close to Victoria Station and London's major attractions. Rafayel provides a free shuttle service to and from Clapham Junction and Clapham Common on Northern line every 30 minutes from 7.30 AM to 10.30 PM. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Despegar.com, ACCOR, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rafayel On The Left Bank - Hotel And Spa
- Rafayel On The Left Bank Hotel London
- Rafayel On The Left Bank - Hotel & Spa London, England