“5* Decor but that is as far as it goes”

Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #310 of 1,089 Hotels in London
London
“5* Decor but that is as far as it goes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2010

As a family we travel quite a bit ranging from 3* to 5* and I have NEVER had to pay to have a bigger room due to the hotels lack of experience/mistake. Long story short, I booked what they have advertise as a family room, I told them about my children and what type of room I would need WELL BEFORE ARRIVAL DATE, upon check in we were shown to the room which was clearly too small to the point of dangerous, I went to reception to ask to be moved and apparently the room that would have been suitable for us was occupied so was shown another room that was a little more expensive but had the audacity to be told I would have to pay!?!?!? While I will admit the charge was only a few pounds and I ended up paying only because I wanted a quiet life, considering it was their mistake for not keeping a room aside that could feesably fit an extra bed i thought this was quite cheeky to say the least. Upon check out I explained the "issue" to the man on reception, and although appeared to be concerned he was not and then had the cheek to say "oh if I could refund you the upgrade charge I would" now I have stayed in many hotels, this year alone to date I have stayed in 15 different hotels for various lengths of time, plus in my youthful days I used to work on FOH in a hotel, so I know for a fact if he wanted to take off the charge he could have my husband handn't even paid at that point. Greed seems to be the main focus at this hotel and have very little concern for keeping guests, I was also unimpressed by the bathroom TV not working, again before booking I expressed that this was one of the reasons that swung it for me booking this hotel, and nothing was mentioned about the TV's not actually working and have not been for some time, again I feel something like this should be honestly explained at the time of booking but they only seem interested in getting your booking/money.

Dispite my issues, I do like to try and be as fair as possible and on a plus side, the hotel rooms do have the "WOW" factor, the bathrooms are huge, infact I do think its a waste of space, but it was nice and quite rare to find such big bathroom, bed was very comfy and huge (if you request the king bed as the rooms do not all have king beds), the hand/body wash was beautiful and the jacuzzi was really nice, and the room overall was very nice. If you do not have your own laptop they can loan you one at reception which I think is a really good idea, but that may just have been because the one in the library was not working. The breakfast was ok, the staff were very nice and they made the tastiest made to order scrambled eggs I have had in a long time.

However if one has ever stayed in a true 5* (just the night before I was at the Waldorf) you will be disappointed here. There was no turndown service, no tissues in bathroom or anywhere in the room at that, no facecloths, tatty looking waffle bathrobes, no clock, not even on the TV, no welcome/info pack on the hotel, and no room service menu all these things you could easily find in most 4* hotels so why they are not in a 5* is beyond me, yes they have only been open for 5 months, but there are some things that should be in the rooms from day one.

Overall I would say this hotel has lots of style but no substance, customer service/receptionists is so-so but nothing like you would get at the Waldorf, The Dorchester or the Arch. At the moment with the rates they are charging they can just about get away with all that I pointed out, staff also need to hold their hands up and admit when they make a mistake instead of trying to make the guest feel bad and then charge them for it.

Would I stay here again? I probably would have if it wasn't for the fact that i had to pay to go into a bigger room due to their mistake and the outright lie the guy at checkout told me about not being able to refund the charge, greedy and dishonest staff = A never again to be visited, for me.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank hoxtonbabe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Polish first
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

We normally stay in a more central location when staying in London and decided it was time for a change a really cool hotel with a nice feel to it.

Did not spend to much time in the hotel as the Kings Rd/Fulham Rd not to far a walk from the hotel but for the time we did spend we liked our time here.

Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Monmouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2010

We booked this hotel at the last minute without checking it out on trip advisor. However when we got there we were greeted by friendly staff and quickly shown to our room. The room was beautifully appointed with a wonderful bathroom. The bed was extremely comfortable and the hotel was very quiet which meant we got a good night's sleep. We paid £99 + £10 for parking and thought this was excellent value for money.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank readheadMonmouth
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2010

It’s my 3rd time to this hotel and its getting even better I did not think they could but it’s a fantastic place to stay. The rooms were well equipped and it’s a "Green Hotel" as well.
The breakfast is great and Lunch is fantastic value. The bar at night was lively and the lounge (called the Cigar Lounge) is a great place to see the lights of London.

I will be going back as the staff was so attentive and remembered me by name!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2010

I wanted to treat me and my boyfriend to a weekend in a hotel after working long hours all week. After looking at all the options i decided to go for Rafayel because of the location, how modern it was and because of the good rates at the time.

The check in was very qwick and i was shown straight to my room after paying. I was offerd if i would like any bags carried, the desk clerk was very freindly and asked how i was (general chit chat) . I was actually already very happy with my choice from just stepping out of the lift and already thought the hotel had the wow factor. The corridors were covered in the thickest bounciest carpets, leather sofas, large tvs on da walls and this was all before id even seen my room.

The room was amazing and i didnt expect so much space in the room we had a massive bed which felt much larger then a queen size, a sofa, table, 32in flat screen tv,mini bar, celing to floor windows,a huge bathroom with a double shower with jets and a bath with a tv but didnt work at the time because of the soft opening.

The restaurant served very nice food and would highly reccommend the steak and rafayel special if you like cocktails plus if your staying in the hotel you get 20% off which was handy as prices wernt cheap. It also overlooked the river thames.

The Hotel has loads of other services which are very handy and we used their next day dry cleaning on a shirt and was only somthing silly like £2 but was just nice to get back after work and it was there pressed and hanging in the wardrobe.

They also have a little cupcake store opposite the reception desk. £2 each for a cupake with all different flavour icing and decorated so nicely. lovely !!

Last but not least i just have to say the location is lovely the hotel is rite on the river thames and is perfect to take a long stroll or go for a morning jog. Also outside the hotel theres a bustop which the 170 bus will take you straight to Victoria station.

We loved this hotel sooo much that 2 weeks later we were back again and all the staff remembered us which was nice and upgraded our room for free.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and definitely will be returnig soon.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2010

Rafayels is a beautiful hotel in a great location overlooking the river onto Chelsea.
I loved the shisha lounge and the Japanese garden. Ideal for summer parties or soirees. Rooms are modern, elegant quiet and spotless and the Banyan Tree (the bar and restaurant) is a good place to relax and make new friends or just people watch. It has a good food and drinks menu and friendly Professional bar staff. Definitely 5
star but not stuck up! Friendly, welcoming and suitable for
short or long stays, business or
pleasure. I will be back here.

• Stayed April 2010
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2010

I write this review as a somewhat of a hotel (and London) efficienado. I like quality linen, good sevice and peace and quiet. This hotel has it in spadefulls. I almost don't want to let the secret of this hotel out! It is a private discreet classy haven in an otherwise chaotic city. It is on the riverside in Battersea and you can just step out and stroll along to Battersea Park.

If you want to shop carry on over Chelsea Bridge to Sloane Square and on up to Harrods and Harvey Nics. Smaller budget? Turn left down Kings Road to the great British High Street.

Don't be put off that you are not next to the tube - rejoice that you are not near the tube!! Walk out the front of the hotel and pick up the 170 bus which for £2.00 will take you up to Sloane Square. If you are around for a while pick up a travel Oyster Card and top up.

But I digress, the Hotel.... huge rooms for London, very high quality bathrooms, some with TVs beside the bath and double showers! The bed linen is top notch as are the towels and the furnishings. The staff are friendly, helpful patient and genuine. I had a lite bite in the Restaurant and again top quality discreet friendly service.

I don't have enough space to mention the Library, beautiful Spa and gym and even the hall ways I find just really well thought out. Housekeeping - what housekeeping? You don't see them, you don't hear them - but your room will be serviced.

I have even taken a few photos for some home decorating tips for myself! Don't expect a mass market reception desk when you arrive - it is tasteful and efficient.

You might comment that you came to London to see the sights - trust me... after a day's sightseeing in London you will be overjoyed that you have the Rafayel to return to.

So stay here - I promise you will be glad you did - you can thank me telepathically ;)
Enjoy London!
(Orla - Room 116)
Things not to do - stay away from Clapham - tired and scruffy - head over the bridge to Chelsea and on up to town.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business