“Reasonable”

Ranked #309 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Dorset
“Reasonable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Booked through a comparison site. We arrived and parked in their underground car park after some brief confusion. A member if staff assisted with bags etc which was nice. Check in smooth and quick.

We had a large partial river view room. The bathroom was beautiful, the bedroom stylish and well appointed. This is without doubt the most spacious 5 star room you can get in London at that price. Could do with an extra lamp and some better bulbs-as others have said before, the rooms are far too dark.

We slept well, until I was woken by my phone in the early hours- I couldn't get back to sleep as the inbuilt speakers were crackling constantly. Didn't complain as it was so early and my girlfriend was still asleep- not a good time to change rooms!

Ignore what is said about the hotel being too far out-it doesn't claim to be in the west end, and the shuttle car is a nice extra.

Bit of an experience with the small but equipped spa-we left our towels (with room key in the pocket) on the side whilst in the steam room. When we came out, it was all gone! Had to walk out to the reception in my swimming shorts :-/ the resistance pool was closed as seems normal from the other reviews.

Overall, found the hotel to be value for money and worth looking at if you want a bit more for your money just south of the river. I was, however, disappointed that when we checked out and raised the issue of the crackling speakers, I was still charged the £5 levy for the one beer I had from the minibar. Knocking this off the bill would have been a simple way to cheer me up a bit after a few hours lost sleep!

Would consider returning but only for the same or a better deal-would not pay full whack.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wimbo999

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Stayed at the Rafayel for three nights in one of their Thames rooms. Views from the room are fantastic and the rooms are all well kitted out. bathrooms are large and if you like a good power shower you wont be disappointed. We ate in the restaurant and the food was well priced and delicious with a great menu with a varied selection.
If your staying go in and enjoy the bar. The main barman Manni gives everyone a great welcome and really makes you feel at home. The owner also puts in an appearance and in a nice touch actually thanks you for your custom which is virtually unheard of anywhere else in London where I have stayed.
The hotels gym is well appointed and there is also a nice Jacuzzi in it where one can relax after a hard work out. all in all this is a great hotel great location great staff and fantastic food I would highly recommend trying it of you are in the Chelsea area, I'm going back again with customers in a weeks time as I know they will be impressed with what they see !!

Room Tip: Ask can you get upgraded to a Thames room or better still ask if there's any apartments free.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights. The room was too dark and I dreaded dropping anything as I would struggle to be able to find it. I could not cool the room below 22degrees, and and the windows do not open, so we suffered a bit. I believe that the temperature can be set centrally.
The biggest surprise that each time we asked for a taxi, a driver arrived with his own car: He seemed to have a special arrangement with the hotel. This is slightly dishonest as it is not what was asked for or agreed by the hotel. He charged £7 to drive us to St Mary's church which is less than half a mile away.......
Alarmed by the theft of an iPad, mentioned by one reviewer: I am glad that I left mine at home. That theft alone should put off many visitors: I have never had anything stolen from a UK hotel (yet)!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Francescas, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Rafayel on at least 6 occasions this year when our business takes us from our home in France to London......and after having spent over two weeks there in October we are going back tomorrow to spend another 4 nights in our favourite junior suite ..room 104.....Brillant... fabulous...The design is simply understated luxury .... the cost is a fraction of what you might pay on the other side of the river and the facilities a whole better than some of the better known hotel chains!!! and the hotel is only 10 minutes away from Chelsea in a minicab..... so very accessible..... making it a perfect choice for a business or pleasure stay in London.
Every one of the staff at the reception desk is ever so friendly and attentive...the waiters and waitresses at the restaurant are also very pleasant and helpful and the chef needs a special mention..very good...
I would not only recommend Rafayel but I would go and add that Rafayel is always our first choice as we really feel at home there......... and if we ever had to stay somewhere else in London....there is only one reason for that ....Rafayel was full.!!!
So well done you guys at Rafayel....keep the good work going
Marie Rosaline

Room Tip: room 104 ....when I am not in it
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed here with my partner in a junior suite in September 2013, and my Mum stayed in a regular room. We found the staff to be friendly but slightly clueless - for example when we drove in, to signs of valet parking I was asked about 3 times if we wanted to park the car and they looked very confused by the presence of a car, all I was trying to do was put the car in the car park...we weren't even bothered if they parked it or we did, just that we were no longer in it. I had to get out and go in search of someone to help in the end, which is frustrating after a long drive.

But anyway, the rooms were lovely, good size, though not great lighting, so for anyone applying make up you need to wait from the bathroom steam to clear. We paid an additional sum for a Jacuzzi room, and the jets didn't work properly, we complained but this was not rectified.

Its a lovely location, and I would stay again but it was far from the 5* experience we had hoped for. I think quite a lot could be done with staff training too, not that they aren't friendly, but rather clueless and to be honest, not particularly helpful as a consequence. We also got locked in the spa one evening after going to relax, losing track of time and then finding no one around and no towels.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

Really enjoyed the stay 2 weeks ago with my family. We stayed in an appartment 1207, two ensuite bedrooms upstairs and large lounge/dining room and kitchen downstairs. Great views over the Thames. Wonderful breakfast. Great location for a days shopping in London.

Room Tip: Our appartment was on the 12th floor, 1207 I think!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jonathan F
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

The Hotel Rafayel is sleek, sophisticated and luxurious with expansive views on the River Thames and directly on the Thames River walkway. Located in the gentrifying Battersea Park neighborhood in south London, the hotel practices green technology including a central control system for AC/heat and lights via the TV and LED lighting. For a European hotel, the river view rooms are generous in size especially the well appointed state-of-the-art bathrooms including glass tiled showers. City-view rooms are even larger. Fast wi-fi connection is free. The hotel provides free shuttle service to nearby tube, national rail and overground stations – the closest rail/overground (Clapman Junction) is a mere 10 minute walk – making access to anywhere in metro London easy. The full service spa includes a gym for hotel guests. Its restaurant has an eclectic mix of European, Indian and Asian cuisine, superbly prepared and presented and provides a generous discount for guests as well as the same expansive river views. Always a fine feature, the Rafayel is priced significantly below comparable 5 star hotels within the city.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business