“Things are getting better”

Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #314 of 1,069 Hotels in London
south coast
“Things are getting better”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed here again after having trouble before with the dvd player before,have to say the dvd was connected and sorted straight away. Extra milk was brought to the room straight away when asked for. Its easy to catch the bus to victoria station, for your ongoing journey. If they keep this up would definitely reccomend this.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Polish first
Sweden
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Just returned from a 7 night stay at Hotel Rafayel. The hotel didn’t quite live up to my expectations, however it wasn’t bad either-hence the rating average.

I wouldn’t quite call it a 5 star hotel as it lacks in many aspects. I booked a Thames view room, had lovely views of the river, but after the first night I was ready to cut my stay short, as the noise from the next door helipad drove me nuts (it often started as early as 7.30 am and last ones passing by almost 10pm). I thought the rooms are soundproof as it states on the website, but in reality they have regular double glazed windows, and the constant landing-taking off of the helicopters drove me insane. Additionally, the Thames view rooms are all on top of the restaurant, separate from the hotel main building. The elevator in that building didn’t work, so it was quite a mission to drag the luggage down the curved staircase upon departure.

The room itself was lovely and spacious. The bed is comfortable and the bathroom is big and modern. I loved the shower and all the body jets. It took me a bit of time to figure out how everything functions, but once you get hang of it, you will enjoy it. I wanted a room with a separate bathtub, but I guess all the Thames rooms come only with a walk in shower. I would have loved the room to have an iron, and better bathroom toiletries, as all their toiletries have the horrible lavender scent which was quite a turn off. Upon checking in the receptionist showed me some of the apartment options for a so called “free upgrade”, they are big and over 2 floors but I didn’t like them at all. If you want a hotel feel and a bit more modern experience, don’t even bother checking out the apartments.

All in all my biggest issue was food, the restaurant food was just ok, nothing to shout about. However before booking I wanted to rely mainly on room service. If I would have seen the room service menu before, I would have probably not booked the hotel. There’s only about 4-5 appetizers and 4 main courses, a few sandwiches and that is pretty much it. That is definitely not a 5 star hotel menu, I’ve stayed in many 4-5 star hotels in London but haven’t seen such a poor room service menu anywhere yet. Neither me, nor my partner was happy with any of the dishes, as it lacked flavor and even the sandwiches were as bland as it could be. That is definitely an area they need to work on as the current menu is a way too limited!

The location is a bit far from the main attractions but I didn’t mind it as I wanted a peaceful environment away from the city center. It was lovely looking over the river, if only the windows would have been soundproof too!! They have a shuttle service going to Clapham Junction, which I used twice and it work effectively. Additionally there’s a public bus service running every 6-8mins going to Victoria station, which takes you only 15-20mins.

I also had an incident of a staff walking into my room wanting to fix something in the bathroom. I was shocked when someone just opened the door with a key after I had just taken a shower. Only to find out he had come to a wrong room. This is quite unacceptable, no knocking no nothing, just opening the door with a key!

Another annoying factor was when I had the do not disturb sign on the door, the receptionist kept calling every day to ask if I require housekeeping, as they constantly said their housekeeping staff is going to be off duty soon. It was quite interesting knowing for a 5 star hotel the last option for a guest to request housekeeping is around 3 o’clock.

It could be a very nice and enjoyable place if the management would focus on improving a few things as mentioned above. Although the rooms are lovely, based on my current experience I wouldn’t return there as it didn’t quite live up to my expectations of a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carib-H
Dublin
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This is a really swanky, modern and cool hotel in Battersea. I don't think it's too well known - I lived nearby at one stage and wasn't familiar with it. But its a really nice hotel, worth the splurge if you want a top class hotel.

The room I had was massive and beautifully decorated. The best part was the shower - jets coming at you from all angles, it was an experience in itself! I stayed for business but would definitely be back if I was staying in London for a weekend break. I think the hotels location works against it because people may think its not near a tube stop. But its close to Clapham Junction, and with great rooms to relax in - it would be ideal.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We have just had a 2 night stay here for a theatre / sight seeing day - this hotel is 10 minutes walk from Clapham Junction which gives good train access to Central London in less than 30 minutes.
We had booked on-line so Check-in is quick & your car parked for you if you wish.
We had a Amazon room which was large & comfortable with a very good bed. The shower is awesome - just be careful turning the jets on as they are very powerful!! We didn't have any noise from other guests even tho it was full. We were overlooking the road & reception, but there was little traffic noise & the blackout curtains did their job.
We both used the spa facilities-the jacuzzi & steam room etc are small (3 people only) but midweek mid morning, we had it to ourselves which was lovely. The atmosphere & background music is relaxing but I can imagine it being a bit awkward during weekend /peak times if a lot of people wanted to get in the jacuzzi! The resistance pool felt cold but I'm a wuss! The treatment area is clean & comfortable & I had a very good deep tissue massage.
We didn't eat here as we wanted to go to a specific local restaurant, but we did have a late liqueur coffee in the bar which overlooks the river.
Compared to some central hotels / restaurants, value for money is good.
All the staff here seemed polite & professional & we will definitely use this hotel again.
My one criticism would be that all the lighting in the room is either down lighters, or low intensity table lamps which make it very difficult for putting make-up on if your eyesight is less than perfect!

• Stayed October 2013
Leeds
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Only booked this hotel after I forgot to book my usual.
It was a quick one night trip to the theatre. Yes it was a little out of Central london but more than made up for by the friendliness of the staff.
Learnt more about Pakistani politics and cricket in the courtesy bus....
The staff at breakfast were fantastic
The room was bigger than any Central london hotel with all mod cons...
Don't usually eat in hotels but we tried it and will do so again . Great value in a wonderful location
Try it ,

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My Fiance and me stayed here a year ago and despite the fact it is a little bit inconvenient to get to it is definitely one of the best hotels in London especially when you consider the room charges. I wouldn't say it was five star at budget prices as its not that cheap but I have paid more to stay in a several hotels by a lot more for one night than both times I have stayed here. So its amazing value!
Our room was excellent it was totally luxurious.
The bed was a full super king size - so comfy and a change from a lot of hotels that now seem to push two single mattresses together, which is major irritation in rooms that could not be used The bath has its own LCD TV and the shower was amazing.
Breakfast was extra but well worth it as the food is good with plenty of choice from a continental selection or an hot breakfast buffet with eggs made to order.
The restaurant/bar is a great place to relax and watch the world go by.
The staff have been lovely both times we have stayed and they have a shuttle service from the hotel to Battersea and Clapham Junction stations. This service kind of takes the hassle out of it being a little bit out of the way.
If you are staying in London for shopping or a show its about 20-25 minutes to get to most places which I'm happy with as the hotel is just so nice to stay in.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with with my boyfriend and couldn't have asked for anything more.
Walked into the reception and staff were receptive and welcoming straight away. No waiting to be checked in we were seen to immediately. Everything in the hotel was explained to us on arrival quickly and efficiently and we were then able to go straight to our room.
Our room was beautiful, very clean and tidy, everything set out perfectly. Big windows which went all around the room making the room light and warm. The bathroom had to be the highlight! It was massive and extremely clean with a large shower (with water jets) and two big lit up mirrors.
The speakers for the music system in our room weren't working but when we let the reception know it was seen to immediately, someone was sent to our room to sort out the problem with no hesitation. They went out of their way to make sure that we were happy.
The free shuttle car that the hotel offers was fantastic saved us so much money and time on taxis and the drivers were always so friendly and chatty.
The spa was also brilliant the only down side was that the steam room wasn't working at the time that we were there. However the massage and facial that we had was incredible.
Now the restaurant was something else. Right on the River Thames with large windows meaning when you are eating you have a beautiful view to look out to. (better in the evening)
The food was delicious and it couldn't be faulted, we only ate their for dinner but it was lovely. It wasn't too busy so we were able to enjoy our meal peacefully with a perfect view.

I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are wanting to visit London.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple