“Great for a girly weekend!”

Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #338 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My best friend and I booked a night's stay at Hotel Rafayel on the Left Bank as we had pre-booked spa treatments in the hotel's spa. We were picked up from Clapham Junction and brought to the hotel in style! The reception has an exotic feel to it, and I immediately thought that this sets a great mood for a girly weekend/couples stay. The lights were pink, an oversized clock above reception desk, glass and modern art on show (along with a mini gallery). Our room was top notch, clean and comfortable, with all the gadgets you could need. The staff were very friendly and the service in the reception was welcoming, the bar staff attentive and the food from an extensive menu (including a 50% reduced food bill for staying customers) was fantastic quality. Before dinner, we decided to check out the spa (which conveniently was on the same floor as our room) and relax in the jacuzzi. The hydropool (not for the faint hearted!) and sauna were all compact and the facilites were very clean. At dinner, we were debating on which bottle of wine to choose, when the waitress offered for us both to try a selection to help us decide- which I thought was a nice touch. We were planning on going to Clapham Junction afterwards for drinks, but realised that the music in the bar was good and we could actually hold a conversation without blasting music, get to the bar without having to wait in a queue and the vibe was very chilled out. The bartender even let us choose some music to play, which was cool..the drinks were reasonable and the view! Well, who wouldn't love having a drink looking out onto the Thames?! Waking up (with a hazy head) and opening one door to the spa was very convenient! My friend and I were able to have our treatments at the same time, and the Coconut body wrap was divine! I felt so relaxed afterwards and the therapists were very friendly and professional. Checking out couldn't have been easier. It was straightforward, the staff seemed genuinely interested about our stay. I think its no surprise that I would definately reccommend Hotel Rafayel to anyone wanting great quality, style and affordability- all on the Thames!

Room Tip: The themed rooms were a great idea, and we opted for the Amazon room. This wasn't on the Thames...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,078)

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed at the Rafayel for the first time from Friday 25 Jan 2013 until Sunday 27th. Throughout my stay I was only met with courtesy and assistance. The "courtesy" bus was so called as it was driven by Ali who was exemplary in his courtesy ,charm and assistance.

The Restaurant dinner on Friday night was excellent in quality and value and served by most obliging, happy staff as were all those looking after us at Breakfast. The view across the River was pleasant both by night and day.

The lead was taken from the owner,Mr Latif who was always present to see that his high ideals were being followed,not that I ever saw a short fall that he needed to correct.

The reception Staff were most obliging and swiftly ordered what was needed especially the other Ali with his Taxi.!!

I found the location surprisingly convenient, as a short half an hour walk along the Thames Path got me to Chelsea Bridge and Battersea Park where I attended the Decorative Arts Fair,then a short stroll and I was in Sloane Square.

The 170 bus stops outside the front door and the 19 from Knightsbridge stopped South of Battersea Bridge leaving a short walk to the Hotel or a chance to pop on the 170.

Mr Latif, I will be back because of your welcome and the quality of your staff and cuisine and I encourage others to explore the Left Bank

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Having had this hotel recommended by trusted work associates our expectaions were very high before arrival and I have to say, we were not disappointed.
The purpose of our trip was to attend an exhibition at Olympia and usually we stay in or around the venue paying ridiculously overpriced rates because of location. The trip into Olympia was very straight forward, a shuttle service to Clapham Junction and then 2 stops on the train so do not let the location put you off if you are heading for either Earls Court or Olympia.

The staff on reception were extremely helpful and the rooms were huge by normal London standards. We did get an upgrade and had a part river view which was great. The bathroom was large with one of the best showers I have ever used. The bed was King Size, very comfortable with wonderful pillows and duvet. Only slight issue was the air conditioning unit which was a bit noisy.
We used the gym which was more than adequate, good range of equipment and regularly topped up with towels and clean glasses.
We did not use the spa but will make sure we do next visit.

The restaurant was superb. The service was first class, friendly and knowledgable and they went out of their way to please. The menu was cleverly put together with a mix of Asian and Western choices. Breakfast was very good too, amazing scrambled eggs!

All in all a great experience and I have recommended to both work colleagues and friends. I am looking forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: Ring hotel direct to book and ask for their best rates for river view rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed here for two nights whilst in London to see some theatre shows. Rafayel is a strange hotel. It doesnt feel like a London hotel, more like one in Dubai or similar. Somewhere in between Battersea and Clapham Junction, near the heliport, it is a long way to transport links and central areas. The room was ok, but was not worthy of the four and five stars quoted on websites. We would rate the hotel as a two or three star; simply by having a large number of facilities does not mean higher quality.

Essentially, this hotel is trying to be something it is not. Looking below the surface, there were chips in the walls, dodgy laminated signage (including tea and coffee sign and the fire escape plan that was blue-tacked on to the rear of the door), tacky telephones, and some staff were abrupt. Upon arrival we were allocated a room that smelt of smoke - this was quickly rectified and we were moved to another room.

Suffice to say this hotel did not meet our expectations.

Good points
- free shuttle bus to and from Clapham common or junction - drivers were very helpfu but if you don't book early enough you might struggle to get a seat
- nice bathroom
- Good shower but ruined by cheap plastic stars in the shower basin
- technological fittings, including advanced TV system (although the roof speakers were on constantly and hummed with static)
- has a spa and restaurant on site, but we didn't use these. Apparently the sauna room was out of action whilst we were there

Bad points
- very poor location
- poor quality fittings and signs, tacky
- lobby areas are ruined by massage chairs
- few English plugs, but international ones
- reception staff can be a bit hostile (we booked through lastminute.com and the receptionist was adamant we had not paid, when we had)
- £50 is taken off your credit/debit card and returned to you at a later time, just in case you trash the room or use the mini bar
- air conditioning VERY LOUD

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CD2010-1
Malcolm_Bass, Director at Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for the review regarding your stay with us. We always consider the feedback from our customers as a vital part of our business as we try our best to incorporate and implement their recommendations. While we appreciate your positive comments, we wish to address the few negative points in your review.

Our website goes the extra mile to let people know exactly who we are, what we offer and where we are located.

We keep repeating ourselves that our location is well described in all our websites and that you are taking an informed decision when booking to stay with us. We reiterate that we are not far away from stations, infact many of our guests prefer to do a walk to the Clapham Junction Station in less than 10 minutes, rather than using our shuttle which is operated every 30 minutes. A brisk walk will take you to Kings Road, Chelsea within 12 to 15 minutes. We are not in an isolated location but very much in London after all. We have beautiful views of the River Thames and Chelsea Harbour across the river.

Please be aware that all our rooms are equipped with state of the art Daikin air conditioning which is noiseless and this is a very rare occurrence. All our rooms are being rechecked since your comments. DAIKIN AIRCONDITIONING SYSTEM WITH HEAT RECOVERY is very sensitive as it runs on the lowest possible energy use.

The signages in the hotel are of brushed Stainless steel and of the highest quality. We have identified that the fire escape plans in the rooms needs to be replaced and are being newly printed at present.

You have mentioned about the massage chairs in the lobby but for the benefit of other readers we like to mention that they are on the second floor landing area and not in the reception lobby. Many of our guests enjoy using them.

All our rooms have a number of English plug sockets and a multiple plug socket fixed to the wall above the writing desk which includes the English socket.

Please accept our apologies for the misunderstanding at the point of check-in by one of our trainees. Money is not taken off your credit/debit card but it is the norm in hotels to obtain a pre-authorisation for any extras utilised during the stay. At Rafayel on the Left Bank we love what we do, we never do it half heartedly, and we try always to do our best to exceed our customers expectations.

We thank you once again for your review in the hope that you will give us the opportunity of hosting you for a better experience with us.

Kind Regards
The Management

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Second time at the hotel, we opted for an upgraded room this time and it was superb. Room was huge and we were well looked after once again.

Only down side was the tray charge for having breakfast up to the room, a tad pricey for what we got but overall we couldn't complain. Turning into our hotel of choice when in London.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My wife and i decided to spend christmas in london, we chose the Rafayel, we arrived on the 22nd december and stayed 7nights. Our welcome by all the staff was very pleasant indeed, we have extended family all over london and the Rafayel is ideal location for our vists. Our two stannard poodles felix and parker love the luxury of the hotel, like home from home, they two are made exceptionally welcome, fantastic pet freindly 5 star hotel, would highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I recently stayed at the Rafayel with my teenage son and our dog for two nights. We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay in a spacious, comfortable and very clean room. All staff at the hotel were extremely polite and helpful. The food was delicious and very good value especially with the 50% at supper for the hotel residents. This hotel deserves to do well and I would recommend it to absolutely anyone.

It was reassuring to see Mr Latif, the hotel owner, at the restaurant at breakfast time and in the evenings greeting the guests whilst working at his computer. Mr Latif came to our table during supper time the first evening we were staying there, introduced himself to us, asked if everything was fine and wished us a pleasant stay. It was very nice and reassuring to be given this kind of personal interest and care from the hotel owner.

We left the hotel very satisfied with our stay there. A couple of hours later, however, I realised that I left one of my rings behind in the hotel room on the bedside table. I immediately called the hotel and informed them about it. I was assured that every effort was to be made in order to find the ring. This ring was especially precious to me and not only on account of a rare yellow diamond it had but because it was the last ring given to me by my late husband. To me, it was priceless. On top of that the last time I stayed in a certain 5 star hotel close to London, my friend's iPad was stolen from our hotel room during supper time and the management of that hotel could not explain how this had happened despite their sophisticated electronic room key system. But the Rafayel Hotel was much different! I was telephoned the following morning by one of the employees and told that a ring was found in a vacuum cleaner bag and that she hoped this ring was mine... When I arrived at the hotel an hour later, I was overjoyed to be reunited with my ring. Apparently, all staff were looking for my lost ring the day before, they turned the room we stayed in inside out and didn't give up until the ring was found. Moreover, Mrs Latiff, the hotel owner, took personal interest in this search. I was very touched by the hotel's staff attitude, their helpfulness and incredible compassion.

So, my son and I had a very happy stay at the Rafayel, with a happy ending to a potentially bitter story. It was a pleasure dealing with such extraordinary people. Well done Rafayel! We will return soon....

UH