“Very Modern”

Ranked #317 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Very Modern”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I booked this hotel for my finances birthday and found it to be very stylish! We stayed in a Thames Room which was lovely and we used the spa facilities and has treatments which were great!
Location is a bit out of the way, however, as we have oyster cards using the 170 bus was easier to get around!

We had some hiccups when we arrived, prior to the arrival I paid over the phone for spa and hotel, to find when I turned up they had only taken payment for the spa so I needed to pay £169 unexpectedly for the room, not ideal but we received breakfast for the inconvenience. The nozzle on the shower didn't work to change the temperature, this was fixed, but maybe should of been checked before guests stay. The final problem we came across was having the room right above the bar, room 122! If I stayed again or recommended to anyone I would ask to avoid that room, we had music blaring out until 1 in the morning and we could hear it above the TV. We are a young couple and appreciate a bar needs music, however, when my partner went downstairs, he found no-one but the bar man in there, who couldn't understand why we wanted it turning down.
This was very disappointing as it was a special birthday I'd booked this for, and unfortunately the 5* didn't shine through for me.

The spa was lovely, nice treatments and very friendly staff. The only thing I think the hotel could benefit from for the spa would be a swimming pool.

Nice hotel but wouldn't look to book again.

Room Tip: Thames Room, but not one above the bar!
2 Thank Lauren C
Malcolm_Bass, Director at Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. We are glad you found our hotel stylish and our staff to be friendly and courteous.

The Thames rooms are only a few metres from the river bank, and we offer the best possible rate for this category of room, whereas our competitors charge much higher rates for such kind of rooms.

We sincerely apologise for the loud music and have instructed the bar manager to strictly take care of the level of music in future. We regret for any inconvenience caused to you.

We do have a hydrotherapy pool in the Spa, located adjacent to the Jacuzzi, Steam Room and Sauna.

Thank you once again for your review and for your patronage of Rafayel on the Left Bank – Hotel & Spa.

Kind Regards
The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Polish first
Sheerness, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was the second time we had stayed at this Hotel, the first being about the same time last year. It was very reasonably priced, and I believe we had a special rate as there were about 8 rooms booked for a group of us. We did not have dinner at the Hotel, as we had an event to attend elsewhere. The breakfast was good, except that some of the cooked buffet style food was cold. Lovely room with large windows, and luxurious bathroom (with flat screen TV). The lighting was very dim, and not practical for being able to see properly when applying make-up or shaving. The staff were very professional and polite, and we would definitely stay here again. Good position for sight-seeing if we had the time, but we only stayed one night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights from 24th Spetember. We originally booked a superior room via lastminute.com. When we arrived the room was tiny, it felt like we were staying in a corridor and I was very disappointed as this was for our first anniversary. The view we had in this room was amazing, and we were told later that this is what the superior rooms were focused on - the view. Personally a view is very short lived in real terms, you see the beauty and then you realise the practicalities of your surroundings. I wasn't happy with staying in such a small room for 3 days and so contacted reception who agreed to move us to one of their larger rooms, the deluxe room. We were then moved to a very spacious room, with large corridor, bedroom and bathroom - the view wasn't as spectacular but it wasn't a bad view at all. The staff dealt with the problem very well and we had no problems thereafter. Would definately stay there again on that note. The rooms were immaculate and room service was also good. In terms of travel, the hotel is quite a distance from both the closest tube stations, Clapham Common and Victoria. We used the free shuttle service available at the hotel the first night. We were told we would have to wait an hour before the shuttle would collect us from Clapham Common, I found this totally unacceptable and complained to reception who then arranged pick up in half an hour. I found this very tiresome - going to a destination from the hotel wouldn't be a problem I suppose because you are waiting in the comfort of your own hotel room, but when you are sat tired, cold and with luggage waiting to be collected outside a tube station it got frustrating. Unhappy with this, we decided to ask about the bus service around the hotel. We were told that the nearest bus stop is outside the hotel (bus 170) and it literally is. We caught this bus daily to Victoria Tube Station and travelled to our destinations from there. The downfall is travel convenience but if you're in a car, I would definately rate this hotel 4-5 stars. I do however believe the hotel needs to rethink charging so much for parking overnight (£15) when the nearest tube stations are so far away and the shuttle service runs every half an hour.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank tasneemkadva
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

As soon as we entered the restaurant we were greeted by Mr Latif. He made us feel extremely welcome which greatly enhanced our whole dining experience.
The food was quite exceptional and very good value for money. The service was impeccable and the hotel staff were very obliging and even gave us a tour of the hotel and it's facilities.I would most definitley dine there again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We are wrapping up our first trip to London, and stayed at Hotel Rafael for 5 days / 4 nights. I'm hoping to start planning our second trip soon, and will likely rebook at this hotel as long as the rate doesn't go up drastically - we found it to be a great value. We did not use the spa facilities, and didn't really find the restaurant to be a good value, so I am rating only the hotel itself. The hotel is brand new and quite spacious compared to other European hotels I have stayed at. The bathroom is HUGE and luxurious, although the overhead lighting makes it awkward to shave due to the shadows. I wasn't too fond of the bath gels / shampoo, so I'll probably bring my own on the return trip, but I'd imagine most people would find them to be fine. My only other minor gripe would be that there is no way to completely close the window curtains (there is a small 1" - 2" gap), and the sun beamed directly in my face every morning at roughly 0700. Since I didn't travel to London to sleep, I can forgive this, but I'd recommend that the hotel install curtain pull rods or figure out another way to correct this. Many people may be apprehensive about booking a hotel on the south side of the Thames, but I am an American who has rarely ever used mass transit before, and I can tell you that London's transit system is extremely easy to use. I didn't use the hotel's shuttle at all because I found that catching the 170 bus that stops right out front was more convenient. I would STRONGLY recommend getting the "Oyster" card (London's mass transit card) either in advance (as I did) by ordering it online, or getting one at the tube station as soon as you arrive. Fares are steeply discounted (by 50% in most cases) if you use the card, and it makes getting around much easier. Victoria station is only about 10 minutes away by bus, and we rarely had to wait more than 5 minutes for the bus to pick us up.
In summary, if you are looking for a hotel to stay at in London, and you want a comfortable place to stay, and you are willing to do a little planning and get up a few minutes early, I think Hotel Rafayel is a good choice.

Room Tip: We got the least expensive room with no view. They charge a premium for rooms facing the Thames, bu...
1 Thank Shawn D
Malcolm_Bass, Director at Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted to note you have enjoyed your stay with us.

In addition to the curtains, all of our rooms have blinds which blocks out the light completely, when they are pulled down, unfortunately you may have not noticed them.
All of our toiletries are world renowned Neon products, which has been highly praised by our Guests.

We are so pleased, you found the 170 useful which is located directly in front of our hotel, and The 170 also stops, at Lower Sloane Street, which is famous for some of the biggest designers.

We look forward to welcoming you to Rafayel on the Left Bank in the near future.

Kind Regards

The Management.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Came across the hotel online when looking for a good place to go for my partners birthday surprise. They did not disappoint, the ervice was great. Greeted on arrival where they park the car for us, brought out bags up to our room. The suite was tidy, spacious, just perfect and the jacuzzi bath was a bonus!!
Being that my visit was for a birthday, they really accommodated my needs and even sent up a card and mini box of chocolates for him.
I would definitely be going here again and have already suggested it to a friend.

England
Reviewed September 25, 2012

This hotel cannot be faulted on it's customer service. All the staff were very helpful not just with regards to the rooms but also helped with travel tips. The room that I stayed in overlooked the Thames and the local heliport which was a bit of a novelty but I could imagine this wearing off if one was to stay for anything longer than a couple of days!
We did not have dinner in the restaurant but did have breakfast. This is a buffet style breakfast but the staff are willing to cook things to order (we asked for some scrambled eggs). We had a few drinks in the hotel bar which is open until about 1am. The barman (Medin) serves some amazing cocktails!
The location isn't exactly ideal if you want to visit any of the usual tourist attractions so make sure you load up your Oyster card! We took two buses to Sloan Square and spent a lovely afternoon at the Saatchi Gallery. Unfortunately, there was not enough time to have any spa treatments as or stay was not long enough.
The only negatives I have are that some of the plaster work in the bathroom was chipped, the paintwork isn't exactly the neatest, there were a couple of stains on the carpet and the door to the lift/elevator got stuck on the rug so it was a struggle to open. I know that these are very small things but if you're anything like me you expect a 5 start hotel to be a little closer to perfection than your average 2 - 3 star hotels.
Overall, it was a wonderful stay.

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your very honest and constructive review.

We agree fully to the negative point which you have made, which has given us a timely alert to be more proactive in the maintenance of our rooms. The light coloured carpets tend to accept marks of wine rather easily so there is a constant request also from all of our honourable guests to try to eliminate inadvertent spills of coffee's and wine's.

Some wine stains leave stubborn marks on our light coloured carpets, even though we have a dedicated member of staff to ensure the carpets are maintained clean at all times. We rest assure you that our cleaning of the stains and perfuming of the carpets receives our utmost attention.
We thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you to Rafayel on the Left Bank in the near future.

Kind Regards,