“Back again”

Ranked #319 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Hamburg, Germany
“Back again”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

It was the second time we stay at this hotel. The first time it was our Honeymoon and this time we had my 30 th birthdayparty here. Everybody was glad to see us again also there were a lot of people since we stayed there. The staff and also the Chief of the hotel were so lovley and absolutly charming. Our friend who travelled with us was speechless about the rooms, the food and the whole Ambiente.
It was the the Best birthday ever!!!
THANK YOU SO MUCH ABOUT THIS!
Next time we stay about New Years Eve and i'm absolut sure it will be the next amazing trip to the Hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Polish first
Jersey
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Just stayed for 3 nights at the Rafayel, I agree the hotel rooms are nice enough and the view is great but it really didn't meet our expectations or match any other 5 star hotel that I have been to.

Access corridors were not cleaned during our 3 day stay, the foyer driveway was messy (more like a service entrance than a 5 star hotel entrance) and was covered in squashed tomatoes and other food from the restaurant. Also little things like tatty, dirty and cheap flooring in the foyer let this place down.

I also don't expect broken furniture in a 5 star room (we had a broken chair and a broken sink) and I do expect things like wifi that works, a vanity mirror near an electrical point for hair dryers etc etc. and proper sound proofing, Perhaps I am just picky (!). On the plus side the beds were uber comfy and the outside river front seating was nice.

We were left a bit disappointed by this place, but in his defence the hotel manager could not have been more professional - he actively chased, and listened attentively to our feedback and was genuinely concerned to ensure guests have a pleasant stay. I felt a bit sorry for the team who are clearly working to provide a 5 star service with what seem to be some budgetry / design constraints but (the Manager aside) I wouldn't say that we got great service like the other reviewers.

I would say its a wannabe 5 star boutique hotel but fairs-fair their pricing (via the offers) is good. Would probably be cross if we paid rack rate though.

Tip for planjning purposes...The Hotel is also (in my opinion) more than 10 minute walk from the station (and you wouldn't necessarily wnat to do it at night) but the hotel do offer a courtesy bus which is a good touch... also worth knowing the easiest way into town is on the 170 bus which goes from outside the hotel direct to victoria in about 15-20 mins.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Borisdog
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2011

I've been visiting London on business for nearly 3 years now and have stayed in numerous hotels. Our office moved from the east side to Battersea and I was personally not best pleased as it caused me to have a longer journey time to reach it. However, the move led me to discover the Rafayel Hotel and what a find!! Now I look forward to my London visits knowing that I'm staying at the Rafayel. Everything from the friendly greeting at reception, the wonderfully spacious and comfortable rooms to the superb food in the restaraunt - just perfect. On top of that, the owner is always onsite and is the perfect host. You truely feel that he is welcoming you into his home - where else would you get that? I simply won't stay anywhere else in London now, and I highly recommend that you try it for yourself.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Gary B
Reviewed October 4, 2011

This could be a very good hotel apart from my latest visit resulted in them losing my car keys after they had parked my car, leaving my belongs including my laptop on show in reception while I had breakfast. They told me that they would take care of them and take them to my car but as they had left the lights on and drained the battery, thank god for the AA, they just laughed.

• Stayed October 2011
5 Thank SimonAndTina
Dorking, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We booked into an appartment at Rafayel on the Left Bank for one night as we wanted somewhere near Clapham that a group of six of us could stay together.
The service from the beginning was good.
We loved our apartment. It was spacious and had beautiful views over the Thames.
We all enjoyed a good night's sleep in the comfortable beds.
Bathrooms were small but functional.
We enjoyed the bar and partied the night away! The room service was quick and tasty.
We would totally recommend Rafayel on the Left Bank.
We hope to return soon.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Hamburg
Reviewed October 2, 2011

It didn´t expect such a fantastic Hotel and a lovely and terrific service team!!! I went there with friends of mine and they have had there honeymoon at the Rafayel hotel. The rooms are fantastic, the food is very delicious and the bar is perfect! But also the staff is absolute perfect!! Everybody takes care of you! AWESOME!!! I will visit the Hotel again this year!!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view at the Themes are fantastic (but I think every room is very nice)!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Glasgow
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I booked Rafayel for 10 nights while on research trip for work at Kew Gardens and the British Library. The experience from the start was amazing. I was picked up at Clapham Junction with the free shuttle service. I was then escorted to my Amazon Suite room, which is absolutely gigantic. It has touch temperature control, a huge hallway leading to the main room, a large desk, sofa and coffee table. The bathroom was huge as well, the shower enourmous. The one issue I had was the water, while hot, was not hot hot. Also, the shower nozzle in my room was hard to turn at times, but this is a minor issue, the main point is that bathroom was HUGE. Bigger than mine at home!! The bed is extreemely comfy, and I had a 32 inch flat screen at the foot of the bed, and with a great selection of channels. Huge windows also (although I did not have river view ;-(....Overall, the Amazon Suite is a stunner at the price....another hotel in central London...over £400 easy...which is funny, because its pretty easy to get to central London as the bus number 170 to VIctoria runs directly outside the hotel, so it very easy to get to either Clapham Junction, or just straight in to central London on the 170...

Now, this is not all...the hotel had so much more...I am a gym rat, and wanted a hotel with a gym,,,don't be fooled by the limited pics of the gym, its good size, and has all the equipment for a good solid workout. It has a dumbell set up to 20kg, it has a cable machine! and plenty of nice, high grade cardio and nautilus equipment...I love my lifting, and while I could not do squats, bench or deadlift, I still got a good workout....also, it was nice to take a run along the Thames when the weather was nice...Now, after the workout, I hit the Sauna, then Steamroom, and polished it off with the Hot Tub!! Now that is quality...and after I headed back up to my enormous room. Awesome!

Now comes the food. Hotel guests are offered 50% off for dinner if you get a starter and a main...the food is fantastic! Real quality, nicely prepared, and for one person, after the discount, was never more that £20, even when I had the filet mignon with a crab/shrimp starter. The breakfast is good too. Nice selection, and always the full monty on offer....but I am on a strict diet, and still had good option of wholewheat bread, cheese, cold cuts, fruits etc. Coffee is also good!

However, what makes the Rafayel really fantastic, above and beyond all this: the STAFF!! The staff were ALL nice and helpful, always ready with a smile, and nothing was too much to ask. The drives, Iain and Ali were amazing blokes. When I was waiting in line to speak to reception about getting some extra coffee 'sticks' for my room in the morning (I like two cup while I wake up, before breakfast) he came over, asked me what I needed, and then he went upstairs and actually got it from housekeeping himself, and he is the DRIVER!! He went out of his way to do something completely unrelated to his job. That is called service.

Overall, the hotel is is good shape, the rooms and facilites are top notch, as is the food and service. And all for very cheap..ridiculously so....if you're on a long stay in London, and aren't bothered by an extra 20mins to get to central London, and can't spend £400-500 a night for luxury, than this is for. It truly is affordable luxury...whenever I am back in London, I'm always, without question, staying at Rafayel, its that good...Hope this helps fellow travellers!!

Room Tip: Amazon Suite, is sweet!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business