“Lovely hotel with nice staff. Terrble room service.”

Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #322 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The hotel is very nice, and you can take a nice walk from here along the river and up the Kings Road. We stayed here for one night to go to a party in Clapham, and this was very convenient. The hotel also organised a free car drop off at the party which was a lovely touch.

There was nobody there to help us with our bags on arrival nor show us to our rooms - which is fine for us, but things you expect from a 4-5 star hotel. Stay away from the room service - both selection and flavours are utterly uninspiring.

Overall the hotel is good, lovely design, nice big windows, and lovely staff. The location would put me off staying for more than a couple of nights though - I just don't like Southwest London enough and I am sure having a helipad next door can get old quick.

1  Thank AndreaPCG
There are newer reviews for Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa

Reviewed August 14, 2011

Loved the size of rooms and the spacious bathrooms...the cleanliness, the warmth of the staff, the modern decor and the eye for detail took me by utter surprise.
Best scrambled eggs and coffee in London.

Room Tip: The river facing rooms are a must...Dramatic view!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights in July 2011. We had read a lot of reviews and the decided not to let the distance to public transportation deter us. (Everything else was so positive.) This was our first time in London.
First of all, the room was amazing. It was large, modern, with a nice safe. I know that some people complained about using the shower, but I didn't find it a problem at all. Just figure out what each of the 3 knobs do and you are good to go. I don't recommend that you just start turning the knobs. Reading is an amazing thing! The TV had internet with a wireless keyboard and had a lot of cool controls on the TV. The wireless internet worked great with our iPad.
We did have a little trouble getting around London the first day and a half. There is not a lot to eat within walking distance of the hotel. Many times we would spend most of the day in London (proper) and want to rest a bit before dinner. That was a bit of a problem until we figured out how the bus system worked. The restaurant in the building is good however, it is quite fancy and we didn't bring a lot of nice dress clothes with us. The 50% discount is also great.
We used their shuttle service in the morning to go to Clapham Junction to catch the train and this took us directly to Waterloo station. From there we could switch over to the tube and go where ever we wanted to. We bought a daily travelcard before we boarded the train in the morning. This allowed us to have unlimited access to the public transportation system throughout the day. I know that was a big savings.
If you have a fair amount of luggage I would recommend setting up a car service before you arrive. We were planning on storing our bigger suitcases at the airport, but decided it was ridiculously expensive. Instead we got a taxi to the hotel, which cost us 67 pounds. We booked a car service to go back to the airport for ALOT less.
This is a modern, clean and friendly hotel right on the river. (We enjoyed just walking along the river walk area.) My biggest advice is to make sure that you have the transportation figured out in advance to save a little bit of time and headache.

Reviewed August 12, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Rafayel for 3 nights on a July weekend and honestly had the best weekend of our lives! We are a young couple and wanted a romantic weekend away in London with no stress and thats exactly what we had. The hotel was so welcoming and friendly and every member of staff made it their priority to make us feel welcome, relaxed and valued. Even the cleaning staff were incredibly friendly and smiley at all times!
The room was beautiful and immaculate and we slept incredibly well every single night, especially with the help of the blackout curtains. The bathroom was also lovely with a gorgeous powerful shower. There was also a great selection of lovely complimentary teas and coffees and a very well stocked mini bar. The only tip I would suggest is that the only mirror is in the bathroom, and as my boyfriend and I were getting ready at the same time, it would have been helpful to have two mirrors, one in the bedroom.
The restaurant was gorgeous! We ate breakfast there every morning and I really recommend the Eggs Benedict!! We also ate there one evening, and the food was incredibly well sourced, cooked and presented, as well as very good value for money (with the hotels complimentary 50% discount). Along with this, the morning staff should be very well praised as they were always incredibly friendly, and couldn't have done more to accommodate us, they were really lovely.
Finally even though some have mentioned on here the 'out of London' location, this I feel from my experience is wrong! The quiet location made it fab for sleeping, and sweet for romantic meals on the Thames. Along with this, the hotel offers a complimentary taxi service to Clapham Common or Clapham Junction tube and rail stations! This can be used at any time from either direction and we found this to be incredibly helpful! In particular we had a lovely service from the driver named Ali, who went out of his way to help us with our plans and he was so friendly and kind and we made a good friend!
Overall the hotel is one of the best I've ever stayed in and I would recommend it to absolutely everyone. We've decided we'll certainly be coming back and booking one of your even better rooms!!

Reviewed August 12, 2011

I stay at the Rafayel on a regular basis and it was only when I had to stay elsewhere, paying double my normal roomrate,for a tiny room with broken airconditioning and no hot water, that I realised just how good and reliable the Rafayel is.
The staff are welcoming and genuinly pleased to see you, the rooms are comfortable with well appionted,modern bathrooms and the food in the restaurant is good.
I would happily recommend the Rafayel as great value ,with great service and well worth a visit.
After my miserable experience with a well known, west end hotel, I will continue to make the Rafayel my London home.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2011

This hotel is fantastic, the staff were great, in many cases going above and beyond the call of duty!

Location: Some other reviews of this hotel use the location as a negative point, however we thought the location was wonderful; All the fun of being in the city without it being too noisy or busy. It is on the riverbank and the restaurant is situated right next to the river. The free shuttle service to Clapham Common underground and Clapham junction station was brilliant. Always available to drop you off or collect you and the drivers were lovely, in particular Ali, who had lots of great advice for visiting the city and life in London!
We arrived back late in the evenings and there were always taxis available next to the station and they were not expensive.

Room: Our room was one of the Mississippi rooms; it was a very good size room and decorated nicely. The bed was very comfortable, the shower was great and the floor to ceiling windows were a very nice design. You really couldn't find anything else this size, in a hotel this nice for the amount we paid. My only criticism would be that there was only one mirror in the room which was in the bathroom, making it difficult for 2 of us to get ready at the same time. The bed was extremely comfortable and the iPod docking system was a good addition.

Staff: The staff were very friendly, always trying to help out where they could. They were very approachable and always very professional.

Food: We chose to eat breakfast in the restaurant each morning and ate an evening meal there on one occasion. For breakfast service, we turned up after the published buffet breakfast but there was a fantastic a la carte menu available and the food was very good quality.
The evening meal was fantastic and the 50% discount on food for hotel guests, made it a very reasonable price. I must recommend the Sea Bream!

Overall, this hotel provided a fantastic base for a weekend in London. Close enough to all the attractions whilst retaining that relaxing feeling and personal touch. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone!

Reviewed August 11, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel now for 2 years off and on for business and pleasure I even go out of my way to stay at it when I am working further away, that is how much I rate it. The rooms are the biggest modernist and best equipped anywhere in London at the price. The hotel has an international feel of people who like to stay in quality but hate being ripped off by the central London hotels who charge more than this and give you the smmallest of box rooms that haven't been updated in years but the foyer looks like something out of a movie, you know the type! Its located next to the heliport at Battersea and from there you can walk over the bridge and down one road into the Kings road Chelsea it takes about 15 minutes I usually walk down the river fron to Battersea park which again takes about 15 minutes. The only draw back is the nearest tube is about 10 minutes in a cab or 12 minutes walk to Clapham junction for an overground train but in either case they will pick you up or drop you off by courtesy car. The bar and resturant is great with nice food with an indian theme and people are really friendly and you soon get to talk to someone if you want too, what other 5 star hotel in central London will you see the owner in and who will happly chat to you if you want? The staff are also the most genuine that I have meet and again will stop and chat if you are feeling in the mood . I cannot reccomend this hotel enough

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business