“Fall in love with London all over again -- or for the first time! A must-do.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hairy Goat Photography Tours

Hairy Goat Photography Tours
Book In Advance
Book a Class
More attraction details
Owner description: Hairy Goat is a London photography walking tour company providing tours such as the non-instructional London Photography Mystery Tour, the instructional London Photography Tour, photography workshops and personal photography tuition. Each tour contains an element of the Mystery Tour as we go to unplanned locations. We discover the often un-noticed and unexpected treasures of London and the tours are aimed at people who like to take photographs and those who like to explore a city, while learning something about it. Group sizes are small, the tours are very interactive and lots of fun. For more details of Hairy Goat photography tours, plus photography workshops and personal tuition, please go to the website.
Massachusetts
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Fall in love with London all over again -- or for the first time! A must-do.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2010

Lovers of photography, off-the-beaten-track travel, and terrific stories will find a new friend for life in Corinna, owner of Hairy Goat London Photography Mystery Tour. She is hands-down the finest tour guide I've ever had, in any city. But that's selling her short, because she is more than a mere guide. I've not written a tour review before, but this experience is simply a gem.

Passionate about the hidden gems of London as she is about photography (and full of warmth to put you immediately at ease), Corinna of Hairy Goat Tours is exactly who you're looking for if you're tired of the massive tour groups and are looking for a little help -- and a lot of fun -- in getting to know London better, in a new and unique way.

I found myself with exactly one day to spend in London, a city I'd lived in briefly for six months a long time ago. I'd been to most of the main attractions, and I didn't want to spend my day in a museum, this time around. I was looking for something different, but I wasn't quite sure what.

Enter Corinna and Hairy Goat. I found her online and emailed her at 11pm the night before my one scheduled free day in London. To my amazement, she emailed me back right away. She encouraged me to join a couple who'd be touring the back streets of East London with her the next day at 11am. Her obvious enthusiasm for her work intrigued me and convinced me to go.

I am so thrilled that I did. Photography lovers, storytellers (and listeners!), folks who "know" a little of London but can't figure out quite how to get more immersed in the city: this is your tour. Bring any camera you wish -- it doesn't matter. Or don't bring a camera -- it doesn't matter. (But the shots you'll get will amaze you if you do!)

What matters is that Corinna is a professional lover of life in London, and her exuberance is infectious. In no time at all, she had us "running around like a hairy goat" (an expression from her native Australia, and thus the name of the company), fascinated by gorgeous sights and back streets and markets we wouldn't have found on our own. We happened to be a camera-happy bunch, so our tour quickly reflected that, with many stops to catch the perfect shot. But Corinna works to create a personalized, intimate tour experience, based on who's along for the fun.

I can't recommend this enough if you've become blase or bored (or just embarrassed) by the usual flashy tour buses and offerings. Our group of mild introverts became fast friends thanks to Corinna's confidence and energy. We left Tower Hill at 11am, and because we enjoyed our adventures in East London's nooks and crannies so much, didn't stop for the day until -- 2? 3? I wish I could tell you how the long the tour was, but it morphed into a fantastic lunch and rounds-of-pints at an out-of-the-way pub!

The time absolutely flew, due to Corinna's knowledge of London, combined with her great sense of humor and fine wit. If she didn't know the answer to a question, she was quick to say she didn't know (but one could tell she was making a note to herself to find out ASAP). Her energy is boundless, and her sensitive, professional approach to figuring out what made our group "tick" was excellent.

But what did we do? Is it a photo tour? A mystery tour? An adventure tour? Yes, yes, and yes -- if you bring curiosity and are ready to engage with London in a new way. We shot grand buildings -- from bizarre angles, at her gentle coaxing. We looked WAY up -- ever seen London's gilded grasshopper weathervane? Nope, we hadn't either. We looked down...to find words scrawled all over the ground beneath us (I'm not telling you where, either -- you have to go to find out). We worked with the weather (mostly gray, some late sun) and the wet patches and endless mirrored glass buildings to create our own "personalized postcards" of London. A photog herself, her tips and BIG way of seeing the world went a long way in creating an incredibly fun, incredibly creative experience.

I am looking over my photos (it should be said that mine were all taken on my iPhone, with a little fun editing them in CameraBag) and I am, quite frankly, stunned by their beauty. I like photography, but traveling with just an iPhone camera, I wasn't expecting much. But Corinna has a funny way of bringing out the best in just about everyone she comes across, I think -- and the day made me a far better photographer than I knew I could be. I emailed her my best shots, and she wrote back right away (again), this time with congrats on the great images.

I left London smiling and feeling like I'd spent the day with old friends -- and that London, somehow, had become an old friend, too.

Fancy that.

Thank you, Corinna, if you read this!

1 Thank IcelandOrBust

Stockholm, Sweden
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“A great day out - thanks Hairy Goat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2010

Excellent value for money and a really interesting way to spend 3 hours on a grey Sunday. Amy (our guide)'s enthuiasm was infectious, and her tips for great shots would inspire beginners and die-hards alike. We discovered corners of London we've never seen before, while learning facts and stories about places we thought we knew. Would definititely recommend.

PA
“Great Chance to Learn More About and Photograph the City of London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2010

I spent an afternoon with Corinna last week - she was great! We had originally scheduled for a different day and she contacted me in advance to see if we could move it due to the weather forecast. She was able to be flexible with regard to our meeting time since it was my arrival day and I wasn't sure of my exact timing. When I left my hotel, I called her and she was waiting outside the Tower Hill tube exactly as planned.

We spent 3 1/2 hours walking and I learned lots of interesting details about individual buildings as well as generic City of London information. Corinna also did a great job of pointing out items of interest to photograph. From the dragons (denoting the City limits), to the various reflections we saw, to neat vantage points of London tourist favorites.

I recommend her tours as a great way to learn more about London as well as for photographers.

London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A great way to spend three hours seeing London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2010

Hairy Goat offers you a three hour guided tour of some of the most fascinating sights in the city of London. Corinna structured the tour to suit us and our group of three decided to do a loop around St Katharine Docks past Tower Bridge then up into the City. As luck would have it we passed Leadenhall Market to see Clint Eastwood directing his new movie starting Matt Damon. A bonus I guess!
As someone who lives in London there were so many things that I saw and learn't that I wasn't even aware of. Really interesting let alone a great opportunity to take a few photos from a slightly different perspective.

Canterbury
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the most enjoyable, best value things to do in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2010

Corinna (who runs Hairy Goat) will take you on a three-hour magical mystery tour of some of the quirkiest and most fascinating places in London. When I went we explored much of the City of London, but she covers different areas and will vary the route within those too, depending on weather and your own likes and dislikes - so you can go more than once and still see something different.

Corinna has an encyclopedic knowledge of the history of all these places, and has lots of great stories to tell, so if you're with a spouse/partner/friend who's not into taking photos, they can still enjoy it as a guided tour even if they don't press the shutter once.

If you do like taking photos, then you'll be spoilt for choice. You'll discover things you never would have found or noticed by walking around on your own. It's easy to just go to the usual tourist sites and take the usual tourist photos - if you want something a bit different, then these tours are fantastic. I've lived within 60 miles of London for the last 20 years and go there reasonably often, but I learned more about the City in one afternoon than I have in all that time.

And did I mention that Corinna's a lovely, warm, enthusiastic person as well? She does have an assistant whom I haven't met, and you may get her instead, but I'd like to bet she'll be equally great. This is terrific value for money - personally I think she's undercharging for what she delivers - and I can highly recommend it.