“Good for a pint, not my first choice for food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Butchers Hook & Cleaver
Ranked #2,419 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: City of London
London, United Kingdom
“Good for a pint, not my first choice for food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Been here a couple of times for lunch and a couple of times for drinks after work. The food is pretty good, and there is a decent selection of beers. There's a lot of space, so it can handle a spontaneous large group - but the service is sometimes slow and spotty, especially on busy nights. I guess that's the trade off. The atmosphere is pretty typical for a central London pub.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

London, United Kingdom
“Nice for a pint .... but poor and slow service for food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

This was my third visit, but second one to have food. The service for food was extremely slow both times I ordered food, so you struggle to keep lunch within a notrmal working lunch break. The waitress today have a sub-basic understanding of English - at one point felt like I was in a Fawlty Towers' scene. Made my laugh if nothing else.

It was table service, but when I finished my pint I wasn't asked if I would like another drink. Good for my wasteline and wallet, bad for the propriotor's profits.. oh well, I won't be crying into my pint (empty pint that is).

The updside: the pub has a buzzy atmosphere, in spite of he exclectic playlist today (from house to the Shaft theme tune) coming out of a second rate sound system.
Some nice fullers ales on tap.

Great setting, decor and feel .... it could be a winner with better service.

Two strikes and you're out in my book, so I won't be back for lunch.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
North Oaks, Minnesota
“Authentic British Pub.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

Great Fish and Chips plus a few pints of local brew made this a memorable stop. Lots of Black suits from the banker boys, but a very cool atmosphere

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and over-worked bar staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Was out for a few drinks with a friend in London. Nearly £4.50 a point. Ok, it was a decent pint of Bengal Lancer but it was dear even for London. It was a very busy pub and took a while to get served but when I did the bar maid was a bit surly. No please or thank you. At those prices, it would be the least I'd expect. A tip for the management: Try employing more bar staff!

Visited June 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very good pub food and ...brews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

The four of us all had something different, from burger to salad to fish and chips, and of course pie, all enjoying what we had. The price is a bit high for the neighborhood, but the norm for London I guess. (L10 per meal.) Nice assortment of house beers.

Visited January 2013