“Really nice stay”

Ranked #332 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Really nice stay”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed for two nights as a family - two adults and a 13 month old - and had a very nice stay. The staff were all friendly, helpful and accommodating, with the ladies at breakfast being particularly charming (my daughter was most taken with them). The room was comfortable and spacious enough even with all the bumf a baby seems to need ( we were able to put the travel cot in the little space/room between the entrance from the corridor to the room and the main bedroom and so we were all able to have two undisturbed nights, such a plus!), with things we weren't expecting, such as a mini-fridge. The bathroom was great; heated floor and mirror (no fogging up!) and a large walk-in shower with two different heads at different heights, and with different types of spray. Tremendous! Everything was clean and easy to use. The room was on the back of the hotel so not what you could call an epic view, but very quiet, even on a Friday and Saturday night. Easy walking distance to Hyde Park and a number of museums, galleries etc., and with some nice places to eat on the doorstep. The local Nisa shop is astonishingly well kitted out! We'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor, at the back of the hotel. Quiet and a good size.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
PGHotelManagement, Front Office Manager at Park Grand London Paddington, responded to this review, October 16, 2013

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the service provided.
I have shared your valuable feedback with my team members and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Sofia Gomes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
USA
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here as a weekend away and immediately upon checkin I started to regret our hotel choice. When I walked in there was another guest at reception who immediately encouraged me to go to another hotel.

We had a TINY room on the ground floor, right off of the sidewalk so we could hear the traffic and the conversations of people walking by. I agree with the previous reviewer that they windows must be single pane and it could be quite loud. Luckily for us we also had a beautiful view of the hotel trash that is not to be missed. I found the furnishings to be quite dated and the ones in our room very dark for the size of the room. Our room also didn't have a refrigerator which some people may or may not need.

The bathroom was small but had a rain shower (yay!!) and a heated floor which helped it dry after you showered (essentially a wet room). Unfortunately ours also smelled of cigarette smoke. I'm not sure if it was the person downstairs or the person prior to us but as non-smokers our towels always smelled of smoke. We kept the door shut to avoid the smoke but also because there wasn't even enough room between the side of the bed and the bathroom for the door to opened fully. This was also the case for the main door to the room, we had to force it past the foot of the bed for it to open and shut.

During our time there they also managed to skip making up our room - no we didn't have the do not disturb sign on the door (the front desk also asked me this). Our attempt at laundry was also frustrating, we put it in for express service (the books in the room say they offer this) and we didn't receive the laundry until the next morning after we had to call for it. When I brought this up to the front desk we were only met with excuses 1. They don't actually offer express laundry 2. The laundry comes back late at night (though the form says for normal laundry it should be back by 19:30) and on and on and on. Needless to say we should have just taken it to a dry cleaner/laundry place a couple of blocks down the road because they still made us pay for it.

Additionally the security in the hotel is questionable. We walked into the hotel on two different occasions around midnight/1 am and the door opened with no one in sight, neither at reception or a porter. It isn't a sketchy area but I would think they should have someone supervising the front door when it is left wide open.

We received breakfast with our hotel stay and it was decent, probably the best part of the stay. The staff downstairs were friendly and helpful and the selection was good.

This hotel is good for its proximity to the train station (Heathrow Express) and tube station but in terms of cost and all the negatives it wasn't a good deal. I like this area and would stay here again but definitely NOT at this hotel!

Room Tip: I imagine any room in the 200's will be on the ground floor, right on the sidewalk....try to get...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 31, 2013

1 night stay - Tue. (was 1 night too many)

Where do I start...

I arrived at 9.30pm, and at check-in I mentioned that I hadn't eaten yet and asked whether they offered room service. I was told they did. I phoned Room Service 5mins later, and strangely the phone rang & rang. When someone finally answered (answered "yes?") I was told that the room service had closed at 9pm. I walked back to the front desk, and the lady who checked me in had a puzzled look and walked into the restaurant & returned to tell me that yes room service had closed. There was no food available on-site, so I walked to a small local supermarket conveniently just 2min away, and brought back something to eat.

The room itself was very modern. No complaints, other than I couldn't find any power points whatsoever for my charger, and actually had to phone reception to ask them where the power points were. I was told they were inside the fold-down work desk, however a further search I failed to find another 5min search I failed to find any wall panels containing a fold-down work desk. I eventually got down on my hand & knees and looked up under the wall panelling to find some power points.

The aircon emitted a humming sound (even when turned off) so I knew I'd have trouble sleeping, so I asked someone to come and look at it. They guy who arrived said he would reset the master AC system. It never improved.

This, combined with the fact that I had the misfortune of being assigned a ground floor exterior-facing room, so when I turned off the TV and got into bed I was also bothered by the fact that pedestrians were walking (& more importantly talking) less than 2metres from my sleeping room window; and car traffic passing 3metres from my bedroom window, which was every couple of minutes, so it was very difficult to try to get to sleep before the next person/car went by. My perception is that the windows did not have any sound proofing, as I could actually hear what people were talking & laughing about as they walked by my windows.

The combination of air-conditioning, pedestrians & traffic were so bad that I was prepared to go to the trouble of repacking my bags and moving to another room, so I phoned reception, explained my issue and asked to be moved to another room. I was told no other rooms were available.

I tried to sleep again, however by this stage I'd had enough, so I got dressed and went to reception to explain my issue face-to-face and ask for another room. I said that I was happy to downgrade to a lower quality room (any room) so that I could get a good night sleep (as getting a good nights sleep was the only reason I had stopped in London that night between flights, as I would be on a long overnight flight the next evening when I knew I wouldn't get any sleep).

I was told again that the hotel was fully booked, however that one guest hadn't checked in yet, and he was prepared to move me to that room and make-up my room before the other guest arrived. He offered to show me that room. When we arrived at that room, he opened the door and walked straight in to find that guest had already check-in......

I then remembered that I had packed a pair of earplugs to help block out noise on night flights (have never needed them in a hotel before), so I went back to my room, and then had a relatively good nights sleep (and prayed that the smoke alarm didn't go off, or that someone didn't break in through my ground floor windows, or that a staff member didn't walk in, as I wouldn't have heard a thing)

The bathroom was modern yet tiny. It was so small that the entire floor of the room was the wet area for the shower, so I had to place the floormat outside the bathroom on the carpet, and step out onto that when to dry myself after the shower. Nowhere to place clothes inside the room when showering anyway. Also, the shower had an overhead rain style showerhead, yet no showercap was provided so not very practical for anyone who didn't need/want/have time to wash & dry their hair. Not very practical.

Also, the toilet roll holder is positioned just a few inches off the ground. Last time I checked, you are standing up when you need to use toilet paper, so the positioning of the toilet roll literally at ankle-level forces you to sit back down or bend right down to the ground every time you reach for more toilet paper. Not very practical.

Also, having the toilet roll positioned down so low means the roll would get wet when you take a shower. I could see that was going to happen, so I removed the roll & put it up high before my shower, and sure enough, the roll holder & wall were wet when I finished my shower. I then had to dry the roll holder & wall behind it with my towel before I could replace the toilet roll on the holder. Not very practical.

Breakfast room was small but adequate, yet my memory is that it closed at 10am which I thought was a little early (I arrived in the breakfast room at about 9.40am, and there was almost nothing left to eat.). Also my table was positioned in a dead corner underneath the stairs, so they had a couple of pedestal fans setup to move air around this dead zone, which were blowing directly onto me while I was eating so I reached over and turned it off.

All things considered, I would never return.

This hotel had too many failings in my view.

Room Tip: Do NOT accept a ground floor room facing the street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
London
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Good hotel, nice areaPaddington
Bathroom verry small and floor complete wet after shower.
Don't book breakfast in advance. Cheaper to book at hotel reception (choice english or continantal breakfast).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

PGHotelManagement, Front Office Manager at Park Grand London Paddington, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking out your valuable time to write a comment with regards to your stay with us. It encourages us to improve and strive for the best service to all our guests.
I have shared your valuable feedback with my team members and we hope that you will visit us soon and give us the chance once again to serve you in the near future.

Perth Scotland
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I was impressed with this hotel, in which I stayed over the recent Bank Holiday. The room was imaginatively designed, and very quiet. The bathroom was lovely, with a choice of two showers, a hand held if you didn't want to get your hair wet. The staff were noticeably friendly; everyone we passed said hello and smiled at us. Breakfast was in a well laid out dining room, and the continental breakfast was more than adequate.
Only minor quibble - more tea bags in room! But when we rang for supplies they were delivered very promptly.
Oh - and it was immaculately clean.
I will be back.

Room Tip: We were assured that they were all quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I enjoyed a bank holiday weekend in London in this high season. Before that, I have spent a lot of times search for a hotelroom, and finally I picked up Grand Park Paddington. It is within 10 minutes walking distance to the Paddington Railway Station/Tube, and Lancaster Gate Bus Stop, and the Hyde Park as well, better for the city tour. It is also easy to reach the Notting Hill, however, I have no time for the carnival, my tourist scheulde is really full. The Staff are very friendly and helpful. The complimentary English breakfast is quite well, especially for the baked beans, and the fried eggs if you put little salt on it, delicious. The room maybe not so big, but well-arranged with modern decoration. Recommended the on-suite bathroom, the Multifunctional Shower waterfulled on your head, so nice.
If you must ponit some weakness, the hotel may need further soundproof, but it is ok for the short stay.

Room Tip: Booking directly via their website to get the free internet access and breakfast.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Park Grand Paddington.
We are glad you enjoyed the service and the breakfast provided.

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The hotel was very clean and although in an old typical London building, quite modern insight. I was nicely surprised when I entered the room and although not very big, neat and tasty. What was amazing to me, that the staff at the hotel was very very nice. They were helpful and friendly. Smiling to me in the elevator etc. It really creates nice atmosphere and makes good impression. If I was to come back I would not hesitate to come back. The surrounding of the hotel is quiet and green although it's very close to the station. Easy to get there even by night as many night buses passes that way. The breakfast was good - nothing extraordinary, typical English, cornflakes and toasts. Enough to choose from.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple