“Small, clean but OK”

Ranked #341 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Small, clean but OK”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had 1 night in London mid week in Mid November. we chose the Park Grand because it had good reviews and looked OK in the pictures.
We arrived at around 16:00 and checked in without any hassles and wound up in a small room on the 4th floor. The decor was much as you can see in the pictures, all wood paneling, a double bed, private wet room, aircon etc. Nice enough room but it was small and I am not sure I'd want to stay in it for more than a couple of nights! We generally slep with a window open and we had the aircon set to 20 and the window open (but the room was that stifling hot temperature all hotels seem to keep rooms at when we arrived) so it was quiet enough to sleep with an open window in our room.
It was clean, it had a hairdryer (behind one of the panels), kettle (on a sliding tray in one of the cabinets), and most importantly it seemed quiet.
Breakfast was good and a minor quibble although the staff asked whether we'd like more coffee, took our pot away to refill, they never came back - we were breakfasting late but another pot of coffee would have been nice! Otherwise staff were fine and reasonably helpful (as long as you didnt want a late night drink in the bar!)
The area has a pretty good location, Paddington national rail and underground 5 minutes walk, Lancaster gate underground is a couple of minutes further. Hyde park is close at hand and theres an easy walk across to Harrods (abt 20 mins at a dawdle around the Serpentine). Theres a very interesting looking Lebanese restaurant just around the corner in Craven Road.

Why 4 / 5?
1: we got back from our evening out around 23:00 and would have liked a drink but the hotel bar was not open and local pubs were closing too.
2. We had a wet room with toilet and shower in it, when my wife used the shower (which was a good shower) there was a shower curtain dividing the toilet from shower area... except for the toilet roll holder so wound up with soggy roll of toilet paper.
3. The overhead bed reading light lights (2 of them) were operated together from one switch so take a reading light of your own if you dont want your partner trying to sleep with a halogen spotlight glaring down at them!
Otherwise it was fine... a little cheaper would have been welcome but all London hotels charge far too much for a room IMHO!!!

Room Tip: South side rooms overlooking Queens Gardens were quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PGHotelManagement, Front Office Manager at Park Grand London Paddington, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking out your valuable time to comment on your stay at Park Grand Paddington.
It encourages us to improve and strive for the best service to all our guests.
I have shared your valuable feedback with my team members.
We hope that you will visit us soon and give us the chance once again to serve you in the near future.

Sofia Gomes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (539)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I went to London with my girlfriend to watch the NFL game on Wembley. After booking I started rereading the reviews and I must admit I had my doubt about booking at this place after seeing so many all 5 star reviews by users with only one post (looks like the hotel is making their own reviews...). But I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel has a nice lobby and friendly staff. We had booked a clubroom and from what I can tell from the other reviews the extra money was well spend. The room was large considering it's a London hotel. Plenty of room to get around and even had space for a two person sofa. The street outside is really quite and we had no problems with the aircon or similar issues other people have mentioned. The breakfast was included and I didn't have high hopes for it (too much experience with hotel food), but this one was really great. A wide selection of food with the scrambled eggs as the star of the show - big fan here. The location is walking distance to Paddington station with plenty of tube lines to choose from (easy transport to Heathrow via HeathrowExpress). Takes 5 mins. to walk to Hyde Park. A few decent steak houses near Paddinton. If you are looking for a bite near the hotel go to the area of Queensway and Westbourne Grove. It is loaded with great pleaces.
Overall impression of Park Grand London Paddington is really good. Nice clean and almost stylish rooms.

Room Tip: Get a Clubroom, it's worth the extra punds.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Park Grand Paddington for your stay in London.
We are glad you enjoyed the room and service provided.
I have shared your valuable feedback with my team and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Washington
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The Park Grand is a clean, conveniently located hotel with a nice breakfast and friendly staff. One minor item that I liked: the bar area had a great selection of free newspapers and magazines, including Wallpaper and Esquire. Some downsides: my double bed took up half the room; I could easily hear conversations and laughing from guests on either side; the tiny bathroom smelled of smoke, and its minuscule curtained-off shower area results in water getting all over the bathroom floor, including the toiler paper that for some odd reason is mounted right on the floor; and the wi-fi connection was inconsistent. Still, it's less than a ten minute walk to several tube stations, and it's a good value for the price.

Room Tip: I chose a Club Room, which is larger than many of the others.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The hotel is perfectly situated being just a 5 minute walk to Paddington Station, Lancaster Gate Tube Station, 94 bus route to Regent Street and of course Hyde Park.
Every staff member we met were very pleasant and helpful. The breakfasts were plentiful with excellent service and staff friendliness. The room we stayed in, on the basement level, was quite spacious and comfortable.
I would highly recommend this hotel and we look forward to returning on our next visit to London.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Park Grand Paddington.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here at the start of our 6 week European Holiday. We stayed in the Cleveland room and it was a really nice and spacious room. we were extremely happy we picked this hotel. Very close to Paddington Station!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

PGHotelManagement, Front Office Manager at Park Grand London Paddington, responded to this review, November 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Park Grand Paddington.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the room.
I have shared your valuable feedback with my team and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum), India
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here for ten days. What makes this hotel unique is that the staff take an extra effort to make you comfortable. Be it the chef trying to find out what you like and serving it even though its out of the menu; or the concierge, ever smiling, ever ready to help; or the reception who never refer anything to the 'supervisor' for approval. Fantastic Hospitality.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank zaheeren

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Park Grand Paddington.
We are glad you enjoyed the service provided.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel for good price but after reading some review I was worried...but everthing was good! I don't know how some people can complain about the breakfast because its amazing!good location and good area!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank cristian r

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Park Grand Paddington.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
I have shared your valuable feedback with my team and we look forward to seeing you again.