“Compact living” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Grand London Paddington

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Park Grand London Paddington
Ranked #323 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Stockholm
“Compact living”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

Small and dusty room with a very narrow bed harder than a plank. The tv was placed away from the bed so the remote didn't work so well and you didn't get a good view from the bed. And the only closet was very small and placed over one of the bedside tables. On the plus side; there was free Wi-Fi in the room and the location of the hotel is good. And besides all the dust it seemed quite clean.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
PGHotelManagement, Front Office Manager at Park Grand London Paddington, responded to this review, September 6, 2012

Thank you for choosing Park Grand Paddington for your stay in London.
We understand that you find the room small, however I would like to inform you that we have different categories of rooms which are bigger and I am sure you would be comfortable with that.
I have shared your valuable feedback with my team and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sofia Gomes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Blairsville, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

DO NOT BOOK HERE! We booked a junior suite 2 months ahead for a week. Great pictures on the internet and very competitive prices. When we arrived, we were told that due to maintenance issues they were sending us to another of their hotels. We were assured that it was the same quality and we would be given a junior suite. Waited over an hour for their "cab?" to transfer us. We were shocked when we got to the hotel. Certainly not of the same quality. They had no junior suite. Were offered a tiny room where we didn't even have room to open our suitcases. The bathroom is 4' by 4', wallpaper peeling,etc. When I called the Park Grand London to complain, they said it wasn't their problem. When I asked about getting our money back, I was told to deal with the hotel they sent us to, but I probably couldn't get my money back. We felt had!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Day-Lewis
Dear Guest,

Firstly thank you very much for choosing Park Grand please accept my sincere apologies as we had to transfer you to one of our sister properties due to an unforeseen situation.
I understand from your comments that you had a very bad experience and once again I apologize for the same.
I will appreciate if you could send me your contact details to nitish@shaftesburyhotels.com in order for me to contact you directly and discuss the same in depth.

UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Booked this hotel through Booking.com as it was an ideal location for what we wanted (attending theatre and going to the O2 for Olympics) and I had decided to splash out a bit since it was my daughters birthday. Luckily my phone wasn't receiving text messages properly or my whole day would have been ruined instead of just the afternoon.

Having been to the gymnastics at O2 we were to meet up with son who was arriving in Paddington, after visiting Baker St for my Sherlock Holmes fanatic daughter. However I thought it wise to check into hotel before going to Baker St. just in case there might be problems if we turned up late it being a busy time with the Olympics. So we arrived at hotel early afternoon looking forward to a freshen up and a rest before meeting son and going to Baker St.

Well there were problems anyway. First they seemed to only have one room on record and then they told me they had no room for us anyway (due to maintenance problems they said but having read other stuff on here it seems that's a bit of a catch all when they don't want to give you a room). So we were told we would be sent to a sister hotel an hour's taxi ride away across London. Well this was really unacceptable since not only were we meeting son in Paddington but we were en route to nearby Baker St and were going to theatre nearby later. We did not want to waste the day in taxi's shuttling back and forth. We were told to sit and wait in a cramped lobby. Other people arriving after us seemed to be given rooms in the hotel or at worst taken to another local hotel.

Luckily daughter had spotted a nearby hotel with available rooms and went off to see if they could take us. She rang to say they could so I then said to hotel receptionist I would rather they cancelled my booking because the alternative was totally unacceptable. Suddenly it seemed they might find rooms after all but in meantime I'd tried to ring booking.com to ask them to cancel the room as obviously I did not want to pay the Park Grand and another hotel.
They said they'd need to speak to hotel and when they did the hotel had told them they could accommodate us after all. Great, except after another wait they couldn't give us a room at all.

Had to go back to booking.com and ask them to guarantee we would not be charged for the rooms. Suffice to say after an hour and a half or more by which time we'd missed meeting son at Paddington, and several long phone calls to Booking.com who had to speak to the manager, we were finally told we would not have to pay and were free to go. By then it was also too late to take daughter's promised trip to Baker St (part of her birthday treat).

Oh yes the hotel staff said they'd tried to contact me but in fact the only contact was the text I hadn't received due to phone problems on that same morning. Had I received it, it would have spoiled my day at the Olympics as well, as I would then have been worrrying about the hotel the whole time.

We left feeling pretty upset with not having the rooms we booked and the way we had been treated. Luckily the other hotel down the room proved to be clean, quiet, friendly and half the price but the day had been spoiled and daughter never got her birthday trip to Baker St.

I would never stay at any hotel in the Shaftesbury Elite group after this experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank seadragonUk
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Only down side was that the internet in the room was spotty at best. They should not advertise that there is free internet in the rooms when it is that unreliable. Otherwise, staff was friendly and helpful, rooms were spacious, and everything worked out great!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for choosing Park Grand Paddington for your stay in London.
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience regarding the internet during your stay with us, we do not normally have problems with the internet, however I will be speaking to the IT department in regards to this.
We are glad you enjoyed the room and service provided.
We hope to welcome you back.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Both me and my partner have been to the hotel twice, we now consider the park grand padington our London retreat.

The staff and service is excellent!!

The rooms are very tasteful and very comfortable.

The breakfast is to die for! Fresh and very flavoursome

The location is perfect, everything is within walking distance

I can not recommend this hotel enough !! It's perfect !!

Thank you to everyone who works there what a fantastic team

• Stayed July 2012

Thank you for choosing Park Grand Paddington for your stay in London.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
I have shared your valuable feedback with my team and look forward to seeing you again.

london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

..is that experiences are just too variable. It seems great prices at the time of booking but the compromise you have to accept is the messing around by reception staff with your booking and variability of room on offer. Be informed- the rooms are all on the very small side. I still give this hotel a 3 based on prices that are typically available eg. 160gbp for a single traveller.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

My experience was similar to 'bigdanDerby'.

I currently live outside the UK so when I return, my partner and I try to spend a couple of nights in London to spend time together and shop, etc.

I booked a 'Club Room' at the Park Grand Hotel in Paddington. This is what we were expecting to check into. We arrived at reception to find out that our room was in 'another building'. It was absolutely pouring it down with rain and we were quickly shipped down the road to the Best Western. Immediately, my blood begins to boil. I booked at the Park Grand Hotel, if I wanted to stay in the Best Western I would've booked there.

We were then told we were being upgraded to a 'One Bedroom Suite' and I was asked for a card to pay a 10 pound security deposit. Annoyed and wanting to rest, I handed over my card. After some time, we were escorted, AGAIN, outside in the pouring rain across the road. Our 'One Bedroom Suite' turned out to be a dingy and dark hole in the basement, with a massive stainless steel kitchen unit taking up a large amount of room. By this point I was ready to cry, this is not what we booked.

My partner went back across the road (in the pouring rain) to complain. We were then escorted BACK to the Best Western, and shown some other type of 'Suite'. There was barely enough room to swing our suitcase, and this room was overcrowded with dark furniture, dark bedding and the tiniest window in the world.

Fuming, my partner went back to the original hotel we booked at, the Park Grand Hotel. We were thankfully, assisted by someone with an actual brain and some compassion, who explained the room we booked was leaking... or some other excuse. We checked into a regular room and promised a 15% discount (still have not received this due to issues with booking through Agoda) and complimentary breakfast. After the first night, when we just tried to forget about the horrific experience, we had to move rooms. This was where we were supposed to move into our 'Club Room' which according to the Agoda website is supposed to have a bathtub. It did not. Also, the WiFi signal in our room was so weak I was unable to use it.

This was probably the worst experience I have ever, ever had in a hotel. The service we received was utterly shocking. I feel sorry for tourists who stay in this hotel, as their impression of the UK and the hospitality must be absolutely appalling. The ONLY redeeming quality was the help we received from the lady at the desk (unfortunately didn't catch her name) and the breakfast was really good. Other than that, strongly... strongly avoid.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joannajane
PGHotelManagement, Front Office Manager at Park Grand London Paddington, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Guest,

Firstly thank you very much for choosing Park Grand. Please accept my sincere apologies as we were had to transfer you to one of our sister properties due to some unforeseen situation.

I understand from you comments that you had very bad experience and once again I apologise for the same.

Regards,