“Generally good, with some pitfalls”
Review of Town Hall Hotel

Town Hall Hotel
Ranked #203 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Our two bedroom apartment on the ground level, G27, was very spacious with high ceilings. It had a small bedroom with bathroom on a second level, a ground level kitchen, living and dining area, and a separate bedroom with bathroom. The windows were large, but looked out onto an inside courtyard with no sunlight or views of any sort.

The hotel is interestingly decorated in a old building that made me feel like I was heading off to defend a parking ticket in the courthouse (in a funny way).

The onsite restaurants, Corner Room (3/5 stars) and Viajante (5/5) are both decent options for interesting dining. We had the hotel breakfast on our first morning and found it to be fairly plentiful, although the hot dishes were a bit sloppily made.

The room we stayed in appeared to have been subjected to many parties in the past, which was a bit heartbreaking considering the heritage of this building.

The friendly concierge offhandedly confirmed this when we mentioned this room and he said "Yes, that's the party room." There were many black scuffs all over the walls and floors in spots that are fairly impossible to reach sober, and what appeared to be a chocolate stain right on the main light switch next to the front door. The second floor bathroom smelled heavily of 'dirty shower curtain'. The second floor bedroom had quite some terrible design features. There's an air vent placed 2 feet away from the head of the bed on the left side, so if you wanted air at all throughout the night you get this torturous circumstance of having air blown directly onto your face from the vent all night. If the suite's A/C or heating was on at all, there was a unit hidden in the wall on the second floor that would emit a low rumbling and vibration similar to standing on a heat vent above a subway station.

The height clearance on the second floor was not enough for my boyfriend, who at the very average height of 5'11" hit his head on several occasions. He remarked that typically something with such miserable height clearance tends to have a yellow and black warning strip on it for liability reasons.

There was misleading signage in the second bedroom, and several dangerous 'lips' between the bathroom tiles and hardwood floor.

This hotel is "architect-designed" in the same way that many health products are described to be "doctor-recommended". I see that whoever made this space went to school for it, but whether they necessarily did a good job on this project, I really don't think so.

The hotel is located in a part of town you have to very specifically want to be in. If this is your first time in London or you don't care for neighborhoods described almost exclusively as "up-and-coming": the age of this building, its some good and many terrible design features and the somewhat good value may not be enough to make your stay a good one.

We booked a taxi with the concierge. The hotel is engaged with its own taxi company, so you will have to negotiate fares prior to your destination, we were too polite to ask about this until the end so I'm just going to assume there was self regulation involved. Our taxi driver parked the car and left us in it at a McDonald's halfway between the hotel and London for unknown reasons for about 10 minutes, which was a bit alarming. He was kind and polite though, so frankly we were kind of worried he wasn't getting proper breaks.

Despite the points I mentioned, this hotel definitely was on the good rather than the bad side. If you set some proper expectations, you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank elmiaberlin
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I appreciated your kind feedback on the building and the restaurants, which I am delighted to hear you liked them. Regarding your comment on G27, I investigated with concierge and it appears that there must have been some misunderstanding. What our concierge attempted to explain was that G27 has a very large surface, as large as to host a party and not that this suite is a party room since we have many other areas in our where parties are held. With regards the heights of the loft, everything was done according to building regulations and minimum high requirements. The accident with the Taxi as described on your feedback it is very bizarre happening. It is the first time that a driver from our selected company has been reported with such behaviour. The taxi company we us, provides us with a full post code price list for all the destinations in London and this costs are transparently communicated all our guests at time of booking. The service provided to you by our third parties company is far from what we offer our guests with. It would be very helpful if you could share more details on what happened so we can take the matter with the taxi agency we use. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this occasion if we have fallen short your expectations. I hope this incidents will not deter you from visiting us again in the future and should I be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me on sandro@townhallhotel.com and I will be delighted to assist. Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

Write a ReviewReviews (1,410)

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Different, in the positive meaning of the word, for people that like culture and beautifully renovated old buildings. Lots of character, a place unlike others. It has a soul. It has history. People are wonderful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Arie-Lausanne
OpsMng, Director of Operation at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Guest, I was fascinated by the poetic and still very effective way you used to describe our Town Hall Hotel. Thank you for these wonderful words left on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that your experience was beyond a mere night stay somewhere because in need of a place, it was a discovery of something new, the grasping of the essence of a place by perceiving it through the different messages coming from the history of the building, the smile of the staff and the art in it. This is exactly what we are and I am glad your sensed it. The Town Hall Hotel will be waiting for you many times more! Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed November 20, 2013

An amazing hotel, large clean rooms, excellent service and great facilities it's a real gem!! I am incredibly fussy with very high standards, I don't recommend hotels freely but I would defiantly recommend no this one!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Guest, I am pleased to read about your stay at the Town Hall Hotel on tripadvisor, thank you for your kind words. I read about how meticulous you are in the choice of hotel and I am glad to see that you gave us the maximum score. Rest assured that we will keep on raising the bar on our services and customer care to give you other memorable stays.
Many Thanks and Kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Picked the Town Hall Hotel up for a one-night stop on an internet deal, saving a good percentage on the standard rate for a Studio Apartment room. The building itself is beautiful, and a great job has been done of converting it into accommodation.

The apartment room was very interesting, nicely furnished with a mixture of the classic and the contemporary, and with a very clever use of space to house a fully functional kitchen behind folding walls. The bathroom was large, and nicely kitted out, with the glass wall to the sleeping area being an interesting feature to let natural light in from the external windows. (A modesty curtain is included!)

Sleep quality wasn't great for me, but that's likely down to the general difficulties I periodically suffer with sleeping in general, especially away from home. The bed was comfortable, if a little on the soft side for me, and the combination of climate control and large opening windows should allow anyone to find their perfect climate.

As a single-night stay, literally just a bed for the night, we didn't get to try out the facilities but as a place to rest our heads it was a nice touch of luxury compared to our normal option of the nearest budget chain (which, in London, is often not that much cheaper than the deal we got here)

I certainly would look at staying again, for longer, if we find ourselves in London for 3 or 4 nights; that might be dependant on getting the same sort of discounted rate though.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest, thank you for the kind word and the very thorough review left on tripadvisor which highlights your feelings about the hotel. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the building, the hard work put into it to project the refurbishment, the challenge to match the classic character of the furniture with the modern design of the rooms and finally the innovative room setting. I am sorry to read that you din not have the chance to experience all the facilities of the hotel during your last visit but we I am confident you are looking forward to try them all during your next stay!
Many Thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at the Town Hall & will be back for certain.

We stayed in an apartment and were impressed with the thoughtful way that the room had been converted - I'm normally keen to get home when I stay in hotels but I wished we stayed for longer at the Town Hall.

All the staff were extremely helpful and polite & clearly took pride in their work.

Although the hotel is located on the fringes of Central London Bethnal Green tube was only approx 5 mins walk away.

We had dinner in Hoxton Square which was within easy walking distance - we also took a walk down Brick Lane which is nearby and directly adjacent to the square mile - you get a different view of London here but there is lots going on if you know where to look.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Robin2008

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your nice review left on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to learn that you would have loved to stay with us longer and indeed great to read that you were impressed with the building conversion, your suite and the service received from our staff. I am also very pleased to see that you went out your way to discovery the many treasures this areas has to offer, with its melting pot of cultural diversity, spanning from food to spices and trendy boutiques and vintage stores all around. I hope to be able to welcome you back at the THH in the near future and in the meantime, should I be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly on this email. Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights in November. From arrival till departure, the staff, without exception, were genuinely friendly & helpful in a very nice way.
We had a one bed apartment, which was just amazing. Tastefully furnished, comfortable, spotlessly clean & very quiet. It was such a pleasure to come back to after a tiring day doing tourist stuff in the city. The level of equipment in the apartment was impressive, with a washer / dryer, dishwasher, hob, oven, microwave, fancy coffee-maker etc. etc. Also, soap etc. provided for the machines & fresh milk & bottled water (free) daily renewed in the 'fridge.
The bedroom was of a similar standard, with a comfortable bed (not like the concrete slabs you tend to get in many hotels) & a small flatscreen TV for when you wanted to watch in bed.
The swimming pool was pretty neat with a fully equipped Gym (which I avoided!).
I believe the food in the Hotel is supposed to be impressive. We didn't try it - mainly because my Wife is vegetarian, & although they did have veggie choices, they just weren't what she was feeling like at the time.
Anything negative? Not really. The dryer in the washing machine didn't work when we first used it, however, when we reported the fault, they took our wet clothes away and dried them for us. Also, the drier was repaired in less than 24 hours. Things can go wrong in any Hotel, but it's how they deal with problems is what counts. Ten out of ten to the staff here.
Together with most of those who have reviewed this hotel previously, I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. It may not be in the centre of the city, but it's only 15 minutes by tube to Oxford Circus & I can vouch for the claim that the tube station is only 5 minutes walk from the Hotel as we're both in our late 60's & we managed it easily in that time.

Room Tip: We had an Apartment on the inside, overlooking the pool which was very quiet - absolutely no traffic...
1  Thank JackGlasgow

Dear Guest, I read with interest the nice review you wrote on TripAdvisor, thank you for this. I am delighted to see that we did not fall short your expectations and the room was equipped with what you wished to have. I am also glad to know of our staff prompted reaction to rectify the situation with the broken wash machine, by taking away you wet clothes to be dried while your suite wash machine was being repair. We are looking forward to welcome you back a the THH in the rear future and should I be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly. Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed November 12, 2013

From the moment we arrived (and were upgraded to a suite), we were treated wonderfully by the staff from Town Hall Hotel. They've got that great balance between professional and friendly from the person on the reception, to the staff in the (amazi

1  Thank bairstow_boys
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review in TripAdvisor, which although looking incomplete, it gives a very clear idea of what you most liked of Town Hall Hotel. I am delighted to read your kind comment on the professionalism of our staff and I have appreciated that, amongst all your reviews on TripAdvisor, ours is the only one that received your excellence approval, which makes us proud and re-energises our teams confidence to continue delivering our service concept to a higher levels with the aim of receiving more satisfaction results from our guests. Thank you for stay with us in this occasion and I hope to be able to welcome you back to the THH in the near future. Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole