“Second visit, but still first class.”
Review of Town Hall Hotel

Town Hall Hotel
Ranked #180 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was our second visit to the Town Hall Hotel since last October, but we were pleased to see that the high standards that so impressed us on our last visit were being still maintained.
After a long flight, at check in, we were given an apartment on the second floor. My wife may have shown a little disappointment, so Timmy, the lady at reception, immediately said that if we were not happy with the apartment, she would try to give us one on the lower floor, which was where we had stayed before. We found the apartment on the second floor was not to our liking as much as the lower ground so we informed Timmy, and she immediately arranged for us to have the exact apartment we had stayed in last year!
Andrea and his colleagues at the reception desk were always at hand to attend to any little detail, and housekeeping kept the apartment spotless at all times. Town Hall Hotel is situated at a Cul-de-sac which keeps it away from traffic, but is only a few minutes walk to the Bethnal Green tube station on the Central line which makes commuting in London a breeze. A convenient spot away from the crowds of Central London, with plenty of things to see and do in the locality. A visit to Victoria Park is a must. The Gym is well equipped, although the pool is a little small.
We will always return to the Town Hall Hotel when in London, and would recommend it wholeheartedly.

Room Tip: Apartments on the lower ground are more spacious and have easier access if the lift is busy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank scooter051
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Guest, I particularly enjoyed your comments left on Tripadvisor, thank you for these kind words. It is nice to read that we are keeping our high standards time after time. I am please that all our staff was helpful and went the extra mile to provide the service we are famous for. Rest assured that we will keep on raising the bar in orther to give you other many “first class” stays!
Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed October 25, 2013

When entering this building, I was particularly anxious as the interior has a beautiful (and precious!) decor, my 3 year old would definately like to adjust!
We had a 2 bedroom apartment that was perfect for our needs. Very spacious with 5* bathrooms and kitchen facilities. I loved the L'Occitane toiletries and gorgeous coffee making facilities (so much that I am going to buy the exact same machine at home!)
Eating wise, the restaurants are definately NOT child friendly and the menus are quite limited (totally lovely if you didnt have kids!) however there's a Sainsbury's a 5 min walk away and the kitchen facilities really help in that respect.
Location wise we loved it. A very multicultural community close to 2 major parks (Victoria + Bethnal Green) My son and I saw a show in the West End and from Covert Garden to Bethnal Green (5 min walk to hotel) it was a 15 minute journey all up.
The staff were BRILLIANT!! Cannot say how impressed we were with ALL of them, they could not do enough for you.
Will DEFINATELY stay again, first class!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the ground floor opposite the pool. The first night it was so noisy from cleaners in t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Julianne C

Dear Guest, I could not hold a smile thinking about all our lovely young guests walking around our lobby, enjoying our fabric Big Dog “Billy Willy” in the lobby sitting area and the swimming pool. I am glad you and your family enjoyed the stay. I also enjoyed reading that you liked, as we really do, our neighbourhood and the hotel location. This is exactly the concept we want our guests to have of our hotel, a welcoming home away from home with all the services professionally delivered in a quite part of the town away from the traffic and the noise of the city. Your kind words in Tripadvisor highlighted exactly this, thank you for that. Looking forward to welcome you back at THH in the near future. Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Impressive building, cool room layout, arty feel about the place, staff very friendly and relaxed. Would happily recommend this hotel to anyone. Only downside, outside the hotel there aren't many places to eat/drink. Like every hotel I can think of, have the heating turned up to oppressive levels.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DominicMurphy
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for your review left on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you had a very good stay overall and let me assure you that the heating problem in your room has been managed thank to your feedback, let me anyway use this occasion to give you my personal apologies for any inconveninence caused in this occasion. I hope to be able to welcome you back at soon to show you more about this brilliant part of the town! Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Lovely hotel in a transitional East London neighborhood. The design of the hotel was a mix of classic and contemporary with common areas that were unique and welcoming. The staff was excellent, finding an alternate room that fit our needs when the first one wouldn't do. The one bedroom suite was well designed with everything you might need right down to a washer/dryer. Our room was quiet, the bed was comfortable and came with a choice of soft and firm pillows. The Corner Room restaurant was casual with very good and definitely fit for foodies. The hotel was close to the Bethnal Green tube and lots of buses as well as Cambridge Heath Train service. If you want a tourist view of London this may not be the place for you, but if you are a more adventurous traveller this is great hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julouette

Dear Guest, thank you for your kind words left on Tripadvisor which highlight how much you enjoyed the experience. I am particularly keen on the various description of the building provided by each and every guest. You can see how even from different points of view our structure is loved and the conversion works done appreciated. I am glad to read that the room facilities were exactly what you expected for your stay and that our staff was once again on top of the situation providing you the right solution to enjoy thoroughly your stay. We are looking forward to welcome you again in the near future. Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed October 24, 2013

My husband and I spent the weekend at the Town Hall hotel whilst family were spending time in London.
Located in Bethnal Green it is a reformed Council building turned cool with modern fixtures and the Michelin starred restaurant Viajante.

Our room was quite large industrial chic and had quite a comfortable bed; the shower was quite difficult to operate but was overall okay.

Breakfast wasn't the best, the eggs which were additional to continental were either too oily/salty or just oily! On the last day of our stay they ran out of coffee leaving some guests quite anxious.

I would definitely recommend eating at the Michelin starred Viajante even despite an unfortunate incident with the game meat I experienced during the nine course meal.

Overall, the stay was okay; the hotel has an extremely arty, cool feel that perfectly suits east end Bethnal Green; the rooms were comfortable and stocked with L'Occitane amenities along with the free wi-fi. Breakfast was disappointing and Viajante was extremely wonderful all up until an unfortunate incident.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest, I have thoroughly analyzed the review you left on Tripadvisor, let me thank you for your detailed report. I believe that as much as we provide a nice experience to our guests there is always room from improvement and our guests reviews are what we need in order to understand how we did from a firsthand experience. Let me apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and let me assure you that these were just random episodes and not the rule. Rest assured I personally spoke with the managers involved and everything has been straitened so that you will have the fuul Town Hall experience for your next stay!
Many Thank and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Good things: The hotel was really nice and stylish - mixture of old fashion pieces of equipment and decoration and extremely modern room facilities, great amenities (Occitan !!!) Swimming pool - big enough to really swim, after long business day - good relaxation. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is good, may be selection is not too big but everything is fresh and tasty. Kitchen has all accessories (salt, pepper, dish washing liquid etc. and this is very pleasant as in other similar places you have to look for these things and go and buy them...). I am not saying about plates, pans, oven etc, as this is more or less the same all around the world.

Not so good: The area does not look too friendly, metro station not far away, but I would not go outside in the evening for a walk. Not too many options to have dinner outside as nothing is close to hotel (of course they have two restaurants but it's nice to have other options as well). May be in a couple or more years it will become nice and modern but so far it is not and you have strange feeling about it.
In the room you have nice kitchen equipped with all necessary things but not all of them work properly and instructions how to use them are not provided and you have to ask for assistance to use this equipment.
Hotel provide WI-FI but if you do not have your computer with you - it will be useless as no computer station is available anywhere in the hotel, if you still need access to Internet they will ask for 100 UKP deposit and borrow you IPad to sit next to reception and use it. It means that this 100UKP will be blocked on your account for more then 30 days. Little disappointing.

In general I would recommend this place if you go for longer than 3 days and stay in the hotel with your family, but only if it will be special price including breakfast. Otherwise to pay standard price for such location even if hotel is nice and everything is practically fine I would not recommend.

Room Tip: Corner suit on 3rd floor is great
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest, let me thank you for this very analytical review left on Tripadvisor. It is nice to hear that we did not fall short your expectation and that the hotel with its amenities and the room equipment was what you were looking for. I understand that you were a little let down about the area, and at a first look it really seems like some place out of the paths but let me assure you that there is a lot to do around in this up and coming area. Like you said the gentrification is taking place and little bistros or mama cooking restaurant open on a daily bases. It is a matter of fact we added on in our list three new places just last week. We all agree it is not the west end with its grandiose houses or famous department stores but we have quite a few celebrities in the movie world, music or art that live around here and many intact parks make the neighbourhood a green oasis. We are looking forward to welcome you again and give you the keys of this treasure chest! Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My quick review-

Modern, clean, helpful staff, FULL KITCHEN in our room and I don't believe we paid extra for it (stove, microwave, dishwasher, dishware, utensils, clothes washer & dryer) all this is very helpful if you are planning a long stay and are trying to stay on budget.

We also loved that it had the option for American electric outlets.

We (my boyfriend and I) would definitely come back!

some things to note- breakfast is not included but they do have a nice restaurant that offers breakfast and dinner.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank arguelcld
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear Guest, it is a matter of fact that the firsthand experience is always the best way to speak about a hotel, and I am pleased to read that yours was very good at the Town Hall Hotel. Thank you for your kind words left on Tripadvisor. You said it right, we really want our room to be welcoming not only for the local guests, the overnight guests or the solo travellers but also for our many guests coming from abroad, the long stay ones and the families. That is why our best sellers are the apartments, the 94% or our total units, where you can easily recreate the home atmosphere lacking in so many hotels nowadays. We cannot wait to welcome you back!
Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole