“Book now to get in on the ground floor before THH really takes off”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Town Hall Hotel

Town Hall Hotel
Ranked #153 of 1,088 Hotels in London
San Francisco, California
“Book now to get in on the ground floor before THH really takes off”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

The THH is a great value. A fix star hotel with 3 star prices. The main reason why this is such a great value is because Bethnal Green has yet to experience the level of gentrification that the Shoreditch area has experienced. If THH were located a few miles west near Liverpool Street Station, room prices would double.

But signs of gentrification were there when we visited: New condos/flat under construction nearby; a popular Italian restaurant opened earlier this year across the street; Foodie Broadway Market experiencing great success 15 minutes walk away, etc). The Google Maps view of Cambridge Heath Road (from when they took those images 1-2 years ago) and when we stayed in Sept was very different. And I anticipate the area to really take off by 2015 (though no guarantees).

Even if the area remains the same, THH has lots to offer for those who want to avoid the tourist hoards: 1) The local institution E. Pellicci (with rave reviews from pretty much everyone) is just a short bus ride away and 8 minutes walk from the tube station 2) Hipster Brick Lane, Shoreditch, Truman Brewery, Broadway Market and Hackney in the East End are all nearby 3) V&A Children's Museum is next door 4) Tube Station is 5 minutes walk -- not a touristy walk but we never felt unsafe 5) Buses to Tower of London, Liverpool Street Station stops pretty much in front of the side entrance of the hotel 6) Michelin Star Viajante and amazing Corner Room restaurant are located within the hotel. 7) Regular corporate and wedding events held in the meeting rooms means that this has become a "happening" place.

We loved the fresh milk and macaroons we got every day. Also loved the interesting design touches throughout the hotel and the history of the place as a former town hall. Having a washer/dryer (not available in all rooms) meant traveling light and avoiding having to check-in luggage at the airport. Out of the way location meant no traffic noise at night and fighting crowds during the day. The free weekday shuttle to Liverpool Street Station or Bank Street was very convenient if we wanted to avoid rush hour traffic on the Tube.

I got the sense that the staff was still a little green and inexperienced. They were earnest -- eager to help. They were not like the polished folks who have worked for years at the Ritz or Four Seasons. So if you're used to traditional polished 5 star service, this hotel will probably not fit the bill. And that could explain some of the feedback here where the service was less than polished. But we experienced a staff with their heart in the right place.

There were still some rough edges:

1) There were no doorman at the entrance to help guests with their luggage up the stairs to the hotel. Perhaps building a ramp would help the perplexed guests we saw looking around, wondering if they were in the right place and struggling to carry up their bags up the stairs.

2) The US socket in our room didn't seem to work. But we easily got a converter from the front desk.

3) The hangers were the "US budget motel variety" that only worked in the closet and not anywhere else. Surely no "five star" hotel would have those types of hangers but they did. Are they really worried about theft of hangers? It seemed out of place given that we had nice fluffy robes, slippers and upscale amenities like ipod docking station and extra high ceilings.

4) The sound carried in the hotel and we heard the music from the events. But both weekend events are the hotel stopped before 11pm - which seemed reasonable.

5) There was a little misunderstanding with our room booking but the staff was great in resolving it and making things right when we checked in.

All in all, if you're interested in exploring East London -- THH is a great option. We had a great stay -- enhanced by the wonderful staff

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ALTippet
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Guest let me begin this answer telling you how much I appreciated your very insightful review left on Tripadvisor. Thank you for your precious highlights and your suggestions. We cherish all our guests’ reviews, especially when they come from a very experienced traveller’s pen, because they give us the chance to improve in those details that make the whole difference. Rest assured that I put already in place the necessary improvements, I met with the Heads of Departments involved and made sure that the improvements will be acted immediately. You came in a particular stage of our life as hotel and we had few new comers in the front office team and this might explain why the service was wholehearted but still lacking some professionalism. I am really confident that this will not be the case for your next visit! I appreciated the journalist cut review of the neighbourhood which describe well what is going on in this part of the town and the precious information given about the transportation, very useful for whomever is planning a trip in London and is choosing the hotel where to stay. I am looking forward to welcome you again!
Many Thanks and Kind regards, Sandro Desole

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here at the start of our honeymoon trip around Europe and we were very impressed. We spent a long time trying to find a hotel that wasn't outrageously expensive but that has a good location to all the tourist attractions and good facilities. This place didn't disappoint! It's out of the tourist area but the Bethnal Green tube station is 5 mins walk from the hotel in which you can get to most attractions in about 10 mins.As it was so close to the tube we didn't use a taxi once (not even from the airport) and travelled around London via the tube and walking.

The facilities were great with your own kitchen so if you don't feel like eating out every night you can cook. The hotel room also had enough space so you didn't feel cramped. As well as a dishwasher they had a washing machine and dryer and provided free bottled water and milk in the fridge daily. We stayed here in autumn so it wasn't too cold but we found the room was quite warm with the central heating, but the room had it's own air-conditioner so I just turned that on and we cooled down in no time, in fact we even got cold and I had to turn it off.

The hotel is about 20 mins walk from a 24/7 bakery in brick lane which is renowned in London and they do awesome bagels with cream cheese which we deliberately walked to twice to enjoy a bagel.

I can't think of any negatives from our stay there and would definitely consider staying there if we visit London again.

I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom H
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Guest, how nice it is to read your kind words left on tripadvisor, Thank you for your complete feedback. What you wrote is really exhaustive and gives who is planning a trip in London sufficient information to choose your destinations properly. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the room with its feature and the vicinity of the subway and the bus stops. This was one of the criteria that guided us to choose this property. I smiled when I read about the bagel bakery in brick Lane, it is my favourite too! And it is one of the many places around here to be discovered and repeatedly visited. I cannot wait to welcome you again during your next trip in London and Congratulations again! Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

This is a unique hotel, full of history, charm and art. What a thoughtful use of space! It might not be central but there is so much to see in the area, so much history and contemporary art.
Your stay will not be complete without dining at the Viajante, the Michelin star restaurant offering delectable tasting menu. And if chef Nuno Mendes happens to be around, your experience will be complete!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FineArtTraveller
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for sharing this nice comment on Tripadvisor. I am glad you liked the hotel and the way we brought the building to new life. I was also pleased to read that you like the neighbourhood, with all the interesting things to discover, to taste and to experience here. It is really on point what you said about the symbiosis between the Town Hall Hotel and the Viajante restaurant. One cannot exist without the other and when you experience both your stay is enhanced to a different high level. Our Michelin star restaurant has recently reconfirmed this prestigious appointment with the consequent delight of its many estimators! Make sure you will visit us soon to have another great stay! Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with mr and mrs smith boutique hotels. Arrived in room with no macaroons as originally stated in hotel confirmation. Check out the following day on our confirmation of booking said 12 midday. Yet we received a call at 11:10 saying we were meant to check out by 11am and so can we be out room by 11:30. I then called reception back informing them that our confirmation said midday check out. The hotel missed that special customer service regardless of it being a very pricey hotel to stay in. Hotel itself is very stylish. Just a shame customer service does not match this high star rated hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank CharCrut
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for your words left on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear of your unsatifactory outcome of your visit at the THH in this occasion. I take very seriously all the reviews examining all the details described in order not to fall short our guest high expectations. I took note of what you wrote and I followed up promptly and noticed that there was indeed a discrepancy with regards to the check-out time. This has now been rectified with our partners. Rest assured this incident was an isolate case and not the rule here at the THH. Please eccept my sincere apologies for any inconvenince caused in this occasion and I hope this incident will not deter you from visiting us again in the future. As gesture of goodwill I would like to offer you a complementary late check out on your next visit. Should you decide to return to the THH, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally take care of your requirements!
Many Thanks and Kind Regards, Sandro Desole
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

The location may seem odd but if you like Brick Lane, Shoreditch and Spitalfield, stay here. The apartments have fully equipped kitchens which can bring your costs down if you don't fancy eating out. We also had lunch at the Viajente which was a fabulous experience.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your nice review left on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed the rooms with all its features, the neighbourhood and our Michelin Star restaurant “Viajante”. We wanted to create a place where to have fine dining of the best kind, cosy and spacious rooms all in a nice area and so we did according to your words..”a faboulous place”. We cannot wait to welcome you back. Many Thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I could be verbose, or I can simply say...book this hotel each and every time you stay in London. The staff, the room(s), the facilities are all impeccable. I adored my week there and will always book a room there (until the prices go up, based on word of mouth).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guest,
Let me thank you for your kind words left on Tripadvisor. I believe that little more can be said about your stay after this thorough review. This is what we are aiming for and would like to hear from each and every guest, that is why we work so hard on this regards and conscientiously read and analyze every review received. Rest assured we will keep our high standards and once back you will verify it in person! We cannot wait to welcome you back soon. Many Thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole