“A unique and brilliant experience”
Review of Town Hall Hotel

Town Hall Hotel
Ranked #219 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 5, 2012

As a wedding photographer I had visited the hotel three times in 2011, but each time purely for work, so when I received an invitation to an event in East London that required an overnight stay it was the natural choice. And with a tariff not much greater than the nearest budget hotel, it was great value too.

The hotel makes real use of it's unique building, with just enough of the original features left in place to give that link to it's past. With the addition of a great mix of art, mid-century modern furniture and contemporary fittings the designers have created an amazing setting like no other hotel I've ever been to.

The one small negative is it's location in a slightly run-down part of London, and so the views aren't particularly wonderful. But with interiors like this there's no need to look out of the window!

Our room (as with all the rooms except standard doubles) had a fitted kitchen area, but as we were only staying for one night we didn't get to fully appreciate this, apart from the great coffee machine. The bathroom didn't have a bath, but the shower was fantastic. There was a seating area and a super-comfy bed, and the iPhone dock was a great touch.

Our only contact with the staff was at check-in which was quick and painless, and the member of staff that dealt with us was very pleasant and gave us all the information we might need.

We ate in The Corner Room restaurant on the first floor on the afternoon that we arrived. My wife and I agreed that it has to be one of the best meals we have ever eaten, and at a ridiculously low-price for the quality of food served. The restaurant doesn't allow reservations, but turning up at 16:30 meant we had the dining room to ourselves!

Returning to our room after our night out in London we found the bed had been turned-down and a couple of gorgeous chocolate truffles left for us, which summed up the hotel really. Sophisticated yet relaxed, classy but not pretentious, and with amazing attention to detail.

Room Tip: Having seen a few of the rooms whilst photographing bridal preparations, it appears they are all gre...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. It is nice to know that following your previous work related visits, you had the opportunity to try us as a hotel guest and great to know that your stay was a pleasant experience. I am glad to hear that you liked the hotel restoration, its features and deco, which brings this great building back to its glorious days. I appreciated your kind feedback highlighting all those nice things we offer to our client, especially your note that said: "sophisticated yet relaxed, classy but not pretentious, and with amazing attention to detail" which crystallises exactly what we are doing here. I am glad to know that you enjoyed the visit at the Corner Room and I hope in the future there will be an opportunity for you try the Viajante Restaurant. Your comments will be shared with all the department heads here and should you decide to visit us in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist with any enquiry you may have. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Dear Guest,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,399)

Reviewed April 1, 2012

The location of this hotel is a bit of a turn off, but it is beautifully turned out. We attended a wedding over the last weekend of March and I can echo the comments of others in that nothing was too much trouble for the staff. They assisted in all aspects of the wedding, were happy to hlp us with the cheese and pies that we brought in the afternoon, stored items in the hotel fridge without complaint - it really felt like they were invested in the day with us. They also spent a good fifteen minutes helping us find out lost car keys!
I'd particularly recommend the 101-105 rooms - you have a whole lobby to yourself and the rooms are spacious and very stylish in layout. 101 and 103 as corner rooms have kitchens as well.
Many thanks to all the people who made the day so very special.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. It is great to know that you enjoyed the wedding reception and that the staff attending the service always went an extra mile whenever requested. I am pleased to know that you liked our Edwardian feature apartments 101 to 105, and that you felt that our service was well fitted into the reception that you felt they were almost part of it in a quite different way. This is a nice complement and we are pleased to know that we contributed positively to the success of this special event. Also I wish to inform you for future reference that all apartments, other than Double Rooms types, have an enclosed kitchenette in the apartment. I am also pleased to hear that the local area turn out to be fine, although at first impression it was less than positive. Thank you again for you kind feedback which has been shared with all the team here. Should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed April 1, 2012

Really nice hotel, love the interior design! The rooms are beautiful and very clean. We had a really nice meal in the evening in the Corner Restaurant with a lovely waitress, I didn't like the fact that we had to ask for salt and pepper and that there was no chocolate on the dessert menu but we had a delicious meal and the service was very good. I was very dissapointed at breakfast when we ordered egg, bacon and hash browns and got an egg which was nice but with it was a big piece of pork with some diced potato in a sauce that made the plate of food like a dinner not a breakfast. There is a limit to how creative you can be with bacon and hash browns and this went too far, I suggest the Chef Google Images's Hash Browns! Apart from the salt and pepper on the table thing, the rest of the selection of breakfast was delicious and fresh with freshly squeezed juices and delicious pastries. Overall very good but they need to refine a few things to get an excelent from me :)

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. It is a pleasure to know that you liked the hotel and the interior design and that you thought that hotel is very clean and well maintained. I am pleased to hear that the dinner at the Corner Room was well appreciated, even though we did not fully satisfied your expectations. I have shared your comments, including your breakfast hot dish, with the head chef and F & B manager, which will conduct an investigation on the matter and thank you for sharing these particulars with us, which is of course very useful information. Thank you for choosing the Town Hall Hotel for your stay in London and I can confirm that your feedback has been shared with all the team here. Should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed March 29, 2012

We had booked a standard room, but were upgraded at arrival. We got a spacious room with a kitchen hidden behind folding-doors. The great bathroom had a tup behind a glasswindow with a curtin to the room. Furnitures, armaturs and lamps are modern design. Important is as well, that the room was very quiet. The hole hotel is so great decorated and trendy/cool/hipt. The breakfast - even the continental - were great, delicious and with lots of different choises. Hot meals available for 4£. Free wifi and dockstation in the hotel. The nearby museum of childhood is a visit worth. You are in centrum in 15 minutes with the subway. It gives you a opportunity to see another part of London away from the beaten track.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Ingriddenmark

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. It is nice to receive such a positive feedback and I am pleased to hear that you like the hotel with its various trends from the previous century, while at the same time offering the modern day comforts. Good to know that you found the apartment nice and quiet and that you liked the breakfast selection at the Corner Room. I am pleased to know that you took the opportunity to visit the Childhood Museum next door and that you find it easy to travel with the tube to central London. Thank you so much for all your comments and I can confirm that I will shared them with all the departments here and should you decide to return to the hotel in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist you personally. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed March 27, 2012

We organised a wedding reception at Town Hall Hotel on 24/3/12. They did us proud. A superb service. Enthusiastic, young , intelligent and helpful staff. Nothing too much trouble. Attentive but discreet, efficient management , light touch, relaxed atmosphere. Beautiful surroundings - straight out of "Hercule Poirot". Really different as a wedding venue. 2 excellent wedding planners took care of all the arrangements. Stylish venue, with plenty of flexible options for a wedding - rooms for guests, rooms to get ready in, rooms for drinks, banquet,creche, disco etc. Good contacts with local services. Faultless planning and skilful execution of our big day. We loved every minute of this hotel - it is a special place for a special day. Apartments come in a huge variety of styles. This is a hotel for a special occasion when you want to push the boat out. They were so eager to please. This hotel offers a unique personal service, not like the big chain hotels and usual brand names. The food is Michelin star cuisine, with an award winning restaurant. It seems to focus on connoisseurs of fine dining. Our family would wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to any traveller, particularly if you appreciate real quality and fine style, and wish to see the quality side of life in London Treat yourselves! Roger.

Room Tip: The hotel offers 2 bedroomed apartments, with 2 bathrooms, and full kitchen facilities - even a wash...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Charles050
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. First and foremost congratulation to you both. I am pleased to hear that you loved the hotel so much and that it was the perfect choice where to celebrate your special day with family and friends. I am pleased to hear your kind compliments, on the service received from my colleagues throughout the evening, and honoured to know that we successfully managed to make you feel proud of the choices you made. We are equally proud of being selected, for your special day and glad to know that you would highly recommend us to your friends. It is great to know that you liked the hotel refurbishment, with the mixture of previous century trends blended together to bring the history of this magnificent building back to life. It is very encouraging to receive such a positive feedback and I have passed all of your feedback on to our department heads here and in particular to Sylwia and Angela, which worked very hard to guarantee the success of your wedding reception. Should you decide to visit us in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist with any enquiry you may have. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed March 26, 2012

The position is in Bethnal Green. This is a turn off for many as the area is kindly described as up and coming. However it is only 400 metres from the subway which is brilliant except in peak hour and will take you anywhere. There is a Tesco’s around the corner – say 600 metres - and a small Sainsbury’s near the subway. There was a good Italian restaurant over the road but I had the impression that they were not there for long. I hope they are. Other restaurants around the area did not look that prepossessing.

This hotel is an oasis in the area and is regarded as such by locals. A lot of money spent on this hotel but all well spent. The building is a tour de force. It looks brilliant and the fixtures and fittings inside are tasteful. The fitness centre, pool, breakfast and dinner café are all great.

Check in could be a bit more formal and conventional however they still strike a nice balance.

My only critique outside of the room would be the main restaurant. We wandered in and asked to see a menu. There was no menu we were told – they asked what you wanted and then made this. The problem for many will be – a) what will I end up with and b) how much will this cost. If there was a fixed cost then this works. However if not then the problem is if the hotel is out of the ordinary for where it is the restaurant is certainly out there. This is not Kensington. Maybe I don’t know enough and maybe they are doing really well but I would like something a little more conventional.

Staff at the hotel were first class. The food in the café was good and the breakfast was also good although basic selection. What was there was teriific.

Now to the hotel’s facilities - they are great. The room we had was well decorated and quite lavish. It had a washing machine dryer combination and cooking facitlities. The bathroom was very modern and a great use of texture. There was also a curtain to separate rooms. A DVD player if youwante dto watch something you had brought wigth you. Very large and very clean and comfrable. I would bgive the rooms ten out of ten.

The fitness centre was also first rate for a hotel of this size. Too often fitness centres are put in thoughtlessly (probably by people who have never been in one) but this one was well thought out and had a sauna and a shower. It also had a great pool although for lap swimmers it was hard to push off on one end as it was all steps. I ama swimmer so am being picky. I managed and loved the set up. The hotel is even better from the outside. It reputedly cost a lot of money and to mine it was worth it and locals should embrace this hotel as heralding a change to the area. Someone with foresight renovated this building and is to be commended.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor on your recent stay at the Town Hall Hotel & apartments. I enjoyed reading your detailed feedback and very pleased to hear your thoughts the restoration of the hotel is worth every penny spent on it. It is great to know that you found the hotel comfortable, stylish and well furnished, meanwhile retaining its grandeur appearance, internally and externally. I am glad that you found the hotel to be well equipped with nice facilities and it is good to know that our staff extended their friendly services throughout your. Thank also for describing the local area and how easy it is to travel to central areas of London from the hotel, which will be very useful to other guest planning to stay at the Town Hall Hotel. Regarding your comment on the Viajante restaurant (main restaurant), we do not provide a La Cart Menu but instead it offers a blind-style tasting menu. The food in itself is a journey through different flavours and textures and it is innovative and constantly changing. There are different prices based on 6 courses at £65 or 12 courses at £90. Please note that drinks are a not included. The unconventional concept of the restaurant, as it is for the hotel, it is in fact thought to be unusual to allow and experience out of the normal and I can confirm it has been a tremendous success, obviously due to our patron chef Nuno Mendes culinary innovations and expertise. Once again thank you for your fantastic feedback and for choosing the THH for your stay in London. Should you decide to return to the hotel in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed March 23, 2012

Staying at the hotel. This is just a temporary review, full review later . .

Nice hotel and well furnished. But poor service, service is poor compared to other 5 star hotels or compared to other star hotels even.

My booking was breakfast inclusive. In all 5 stars I have visited in London/Europe they would deliver the included breakfast to the room for an extra charge, but in this hotel, if you want breakfast in your room: 1) they charge separately the full price of the breakfast item you want from their alacarte breakfast menu (for room service), and 2) they cannot deliver to your room the same items as in the 'inclusive breakfast' because as they told me "it is difficult to take an order for so many breakfast items" (so in this hotel the service is centred around the convenience of the hotel and it's employees than the reasonable convenience of its customers, however in other 5 star hotels in London such service is standard procedure).

This is NOT 5 STAR service, it is making life as difficult as possible for the customer. So if you want the breakfast that was inclusive in your booking - to be delivered to your room(for an extra charge of course) - they will make sure they will not deliver it and so this is not the place to stay. If I had known this beforehand i would never have come here.

p.s
Their menu says if you have allergies then inform us beforehand. Their meat sandwiches are made as they told me- "with Rye bread only". Their menu does not say the bread is Rye and i ordered the meat sandwich 2 days ago and had bad problems. I asked them yesterday if they could make my sandwiches with some kind of wheat bread(white or brown) and i shall pay extra, but they said "sorry we do not offer wheat bread with sandwiches"(even though they do have wheat bread with other dishes(standard procedure in all other 5 stars though)).
Their allegy advice was just name sake obviously. Their menu has very few dishes and so you cant find alternatives.
Food prices here are more or less the same as other 5 stars.

Bigger Picture: Some employees provide a very good service and some very bad, but the problem is more the system/policy in my opinion. Obviously the problem here is a policy/system where they will not budge to offer minor changes/services to the customer, services that are standard in most 5 star hotels, total and unreasonable inflexibility.
A pity I did not know this before i landed here.

Being unwell i preferred to eat in room and not travel about.

Would they be prepared to mention on their website clearly 'breakfast included in room rate will not be delivered to your room, even if you are prepared to pay the full price extra'.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo