“Vacation Nerdvana”

Context London Tours
Ranked #89 of 704 Tours in London
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Context London organizes small-group walking tours of London led by scholars and experts in a variety of topics. Walks happen daily or can be arranged on request and cover such topics as art history, architectural history, cuisine, and the major sites of this city.
Kemnath, Germany
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Vacation Nerdvana”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Myself, husband, and son had a marvelous tour of the British Museum with Caroline, who was an absolutely knowledgable and charming docent. She made the tour engaging for my son and also for me, spending time talking about our areas of interest and really engaging us in a dialogue about the history laid out across the museum. We've taken many tours with Context over the course of our travels, but this is the first time I've had a chance to spend time with Context London. I will definitely make Context London a part of my next trip and I would absolutely recommend this to families with children as a wonderful way to jazz up a trip to a museum. Even bright kids can find case after case of artifacts yawn inducing, but Context docents know how to bring out the stories and the magic of history for kids (and adults). Best vacation treat ever!

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Maggie L

London, United Kingdom
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 281 helpful votes
“Superb, intelligent tours”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I had a tour with Sarah Jane at Westminster Abbey and was genuinely astounded by the level of information she had at her fingertips, and the easily accessible (and child friendly) way she communicated it. It would be easy to be overly detailed and onerous in this Shrine of a Nation, with over a thousand years of history, but it was all done in a way which made even a wayward eleven-year-old confirm that it was 'cool', 'sick' and 'awesome'. Having been on several over the years, I can heartily recommend any Context London tour - you won't be disappointed.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank LSO1973
Dexter, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Hidden London”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I spent several fascinating hours earlier this month exploring the hidden (sometimes in plain sight) corners of London. Philippa, my fantastic guide and new friend, was enthusiastic and knowledgeable about all aspects of the City's history and we explored sites ranging from Roman to Reformation to Victorian to World War II. Highlights included part of the Roman city wall in an underground car park, a Newgate prison cell in a pub cellar, the Roman amphitheatre under the city government buildings, several churches of particular interest and a couple of Wren designed church towers turned into current day residences. I could rave on, but I have to leave some surprises for those of you lucky enough to take this tour!

Visited January 2013
3 Thank JLPearson
Bavaria, Germany
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Edinburgh tour history of medicine and review of old town/new town”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We were a group of 4 visiting Scotland over the New Years and planned this on a Sunday when some of the normally visited sites were closed. As our schedule was tight and jammed packed Alice managed to combine a variety of tours into one with the emphasis on the history of medicine. We all work in the medical field but in various capacities and she was able to provide history, information, and interesting facts pertaining to each profession. One of our members had a knee problem so Alice included a pub stop to allow time for a rest.
Having taken a multitude of low cost tours in a variety of European cities that offered little factual information I would recommend Context tours for a much more in depth informative tour. The smaller size is ideal for asking questions and gaining greater insight.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank mo_and_jc
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“The Tour is Worth the Price”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

After reading the great reviews on trip advisor, I decided to book the "Truth and Illusion" tour of the National Gallery for my partner and I (ages 24 and 25). I have to admit I was a little worried that it wouldn't be worth the somewhat expensive cost. Fortunately, after taking this tour, I can say it is definitely worth the price. Although I enjoy art and enjoy learning about it, I myself am not very knowledge on the subject, so I was thankful to have such a learned guide to walk us through the National Gallery. Our guide (Eowyn) was so incredibly knowledgeable that she transformed our visit to the National Gallery into quite a fun and interesting experience. Unless you already know about the subject (and if you do, you probably aren't really looking for a guide) I really don't think you can experience the Gallery in the same way that we did with Eowyn as our guide. I found myself fascinated with works that I would have otherwise quickly passed over. She really helped to put the works into historical and cultural contexts and provided interesting anecdotes. Furthermore, on a personal level, she was very pleasant and engaging. Overall, I would say that if you can afford it, this tour is worth taking. The National Gallery is pretty large and our Friday tour lasted about 4 hours and we covered about 75% of the Gallery.

Visited December 2012