“This is the ultimate budget hostel in London”
Review of Westfield Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Westfield Hostel
Ranked #496 of 860 Specialty Lodging in London
Calgary, Alberta
“This is the ultimate budget hostel in London”
Reviewed November 11, 2010

I booked this hostel after figuring out that one, my bed & breakfast closer to the city was going to be over my budget and wouldn't allow for a friend to crash with me and two, that there was one of my favourite restaurants just up the street from where the hostel was.

I had never been to London before, so when I first arrived I was a bit surprised, but the location for me was fine. I could see how others might have issues - it is in an 'up and coming' neighbourhood, flanked by a few different music venues (amazing music, within blocks of hostel), cheap veggie and produce stores, and a fair number of off-license stores. I always wonder in an area where there are more junk food outlets, cheque cashing services and random 'wet spots' on the pavement how good the area is, but I digress.

The hostel is laughable - not really in a negative way. It is an old building, with older carpeting and facilities. It was more laughable because I swear I stayed in this same building when I was a university student in Vancouver - that typical paint on the walls that has been painted so many times it is an inch thick, that smell of old smoke and cooked onions, and an air of 'history'. Oh, and the only sign you see from the road is "AB Off Licence 24 Hour". !

The room itself wasn't bad - very very bare bones but there was a TV. I was in a 'twin' room - which were two single beds in a bunk bed style. It was fine. The pillows/ blankets were fine. The washroom wasn't the best, but it was fairly clean, shower was fine. The kitchen needed a good scrubbing down, but it was fine for the 2 times out of 10 that I used it.

The location was a bit not great if you are someone who likes to be right in the middle of things, but if you are like me and don't mind taking transit, then it isn't a pain. One "oyster card" for 17 pounds for the bus does you for a week, and there are buses to connect you to all areas of London about one block away, or if you are cheeky, you can use the tube which is 1.5 blocks away.

The price was the real seller for me - for 10 days, for 2 beds, the total cost was 280 pounds. So, 40 bucks or so a day for accomo in London? I couldn't beat that with a stick - the cheapest otherwise that I had found was 65 pounds a day, so more like the $100 and that was one bed only.

The other was the "service". Hilarious - there was literally no one in the building for the most part. It is a very very quiet spot, and it is very self-serve. So if you want to talk to someone, you are best to go to another hostel. If you need a crash pad, this will work.

Now, would I recommend this to someone - if they weren't fussed on strict cleanliness or service, and were literally falling into bed at 2am, waking up at 8am and wandering out the door for a cup of coffee, then yes. Probably best for over 26 year olds, because it isn't a party spot, but more of a crashing spot.

Also, as a single female traveler, I had no problems in this area of town. I've heard 'issues' with this space, but I didn't feel that at all. But I could see how others may, although you'd probably feel the same way in Camden or Brixton areas too, which is where some of the other cheaper hotels are located.

Generally though - if you set your expectations super duper low, and use this as a crash pad, you won't be disappointed. If you are disappointed, I'd say you needed to get out and spend more of your day in the city of London, rather than staring at the walls or floor of your hostel :-)

Oh, and I had free WiFi there the whole time - great reception - although it isn't the "hostels" I don't think - I think it was someone's from around the area!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Tenerife, Spain
Reviewed November 2, 2010

The Westfield Hostel is very well priced for what it offers. If you are looking for cheap but decent accomodation, it is a good place to consider. There are only a few rooms so it is not too busy. The hostel offers free access to a computer, in addition to having wi-fi everywhere. It is located near a market where you can buy affordable eats. The rooms are reasonably sized and the overall cleanliness is good. Beware, it is on the second floor of a building so the entrance is easy to miss.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Dont stay here!!! UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY DESPERATE. Dodgy payment deals and dirty hostel is not the one. ALL photos are deceiving and as someone mentioned, there are no spoons, forks, can opener, glasses or mugs. Moldy food in the fridge is not appealing either. Dirty bathrooms and weird smells in the building, but the one good thing is the great shower pressure and having a laugh about the place with the people you meet there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

London
Reviewed October 16, 2010

My partner and I had a twin room, and it suited us perfectly. The bunk bed frames were a bit creaky, but the mattresses were very very comfortable. The room was basic, but had its own small TV. There was some minor noise from the street but it didnt interupt our sleep at all. There was a bathroom on each level and was kept quite clean. If I was being picky id just complain that the bathroom floor mat was always damp but thats hardly the end of the world. The kitchen was well equipped, and we used it to cook our dinner pretty much every night. The internet worked without issue. The location was fantastic. It was within walking distance of both Shepherds Bush tube and overland station and Shepherds Bush Market tube station, as well as the Westfield Shopping Centre. Plenty of supermarkets and restuarants close by too. Would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Obviously not the best place in London but a very good option if you are looking for cheap lodgings whilst backpacking. The place doesn't seem too busy (less than half the dorm rooms had more than one person in it). Rooms are equipped with TV, and the double even had a complementary hair drier. The kitchen does have most of the normal things you would expect but it does seem to be a little low on spoons (maybe bring your own?). The book exchange is a decent size, but there are also 2 or 3 opshops on the way to the main underground station (central line) that have cheap books. Fresh produce is really cheap from the surrounding grocers/markets, and Morrisons has the cheapest produced food.

The shared bathrooms are decent (one on each of the three levels), but the top one was closed due to leakage. One of the main problems with the hostel is that the owner doesn't seem very interested in the issues that have occurred - such as the free internet crashing every five minutes. Didn't see any lockers while we were there, but we were staying in a private room.

It's definitely not a party hostel, and I guess the people seem a bit reserved with socialising, but if you just want a bed to crash each night it's a pretty good option.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple