“Rude staff who served me raw chicken!”
Review of Max Orient

Max Orient
Ranked #1,498 of 1,668 Quick Bites in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Camden
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My partner and I visited here during a day trip to London. We were enticed in by the spectacular decor on the outside and the extremely cheap price (for London standards) but I regret not walking further down the road and going to Spoons.

We were served at a busy lunch time period by the manager. The service was quick, but impersonal and sharp. After ordering, the manager rudely pointed at the stairs that lead to the overflow tables and left us to fend for ourselves, without explaining anything.

The food was ok. Some dishes were nice, some were quite bland. All dishes were lukewarm/cold instead of piping hot, but it was bearable for the most part.

I was tolerating the food until I cut into a chicken ball, freshly put out on the buffet, and the whole inside was raw and bloody. It put me off the rest of my lunch. I wrapped it in a napkin and complained to a lady downstairs restocking the buffet, and she slapped some papers down in front of me after getting them out of a cupboard. She said the colouring in the middle was from the removal of the bones and was completely normal whilst aggressively shoving these papers in my face which talked about hormones in the chicken they use. She snapped at a chef behind the counter, who then smirked at myself and my partner and stated they put food colouring in the chicken before cooking. What??? The lady quickly snatched the chicken from me and threw it away, then left me standing in the middle of the restaurant confused. I was offered no apology or refund. Nothing.

Although we left full, I left feeling queasy and wary at how it would affect my health. I fortunately only experienced a stomach ache and nothing worse.

Avoid! Walk a bit further into Camden and enjoy the many food stalls there, or the Spoons by the river if you want something familiar!

Date of visit: August 2019
Write a reviewReviews (248)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I've been there 3 times. It's a busy place. You cannot get a bigger table for a couple which it's not a big problem BUT THEY COULD SAY ABOUT IT MORE NICELY... One of cleaning ladies is very rude, no smile, no thank you, no good bye. Her face is saying: "why I am here, I hate all those people!! She looks like it's a punishment for her to work there... Even when she's cleaning tables she's so loud...

The price is fine, £8.80. I don't eat typical meet, only sea food so I've had lots of king prawns (really good), some rice and veggie's + salads. Also desert and orange was good. I will be back but I cannot promise that next time I won't say something to this lady...

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Called in here at 9 p.m. Was told that they close at 10, so we only had an hour - sufficient for our purposes. The staff are extremely rude - couldn't care less about the customer. At approximately 9.20 p.m. they started to stack the chairs and stopped replenishing the food. At no point did they tell us that the food on display upon our arrival would not be replenished. Upon complaining, the guy at the counter just laughed. The place is totally reliant on passing tourists who will probably never come back. We are not tourists, but will definitely never go back!

Reviewed July 31, 2019

Dont bother going there, hygiene poor and really bad staff and service, we were late going there, 9.30 and they didn't tell us they close at 10, but took money off us, we had 20 minutes to eat, and then they lied when we said we didn't come in until half 9, and should have told us, they tried saying we came in at 9.10, but we had the receipt with time on, and they were still rude to us, the hygiene issues with the place were most concerning, please dont go and take kids, as it could give them a tummy issue, our tummies are stronger! Overall, dont waste your money, theres a place called 'The Diner'around the corner, staff lovely there, not sure what good was like, we only had drinks, but try there, 'The Blues Kitchen' was fab, we had food and drinks there, go there!! We all loved it.

Date of visit: July 2019
1  Thank Rachgav83
Reviewed July 31, 2019 via mobile

I paid for 4 people to eat in this place which is an all you can eat buffet. With drinks cost me £52. Which was all fine. The website says it closes at 11pm and we arrived at 9:30 pm thinking we had plenty of time. We sat down picked our food and starting eating as you would, we were then told we were to leave by 10 as they were closing. When I asked why, they told me they close at 10pm. To which I replied why wasn’t I told they were due to shut before I paid. I was then called a liar when I said I’d only just arrived and that the person serving me saw me pay at 9:10pm. I showed her my receipt and then had a sarcastic reply from the man behind the bar saying”what you want a takeaway man”. An absolutely disgusting way to run a restaurant. Although the food was ok I would not visit this place again, really annoyed.

Date of visit: July 2019