“Over priced distinctly average food”
Review of Il Baretto

Il Baretto
Ranked #4,077 of 23,873 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Description: Il Baretto Wine Bar and Restaurant in London's very happening Marylebone Village is another winner from the stable of restaurateur Arjun Waney, who brought you the stellar Roka, Zuma and La Petite Maison. If you're looking for a super Italian cuisine and would like to avoid both chain restaurants and designer price tags, Il Baretto in Blandford Street is an excellent choice. Located between Marylebone High Street and Baker Street, Il Baretto has a smart wine bar located on the ground floor and a cavernous basement dining room that is a stylish restaurant for group parties and celebrations. Popular with a local crowd, as well as with tourists and shoppers from Bond Street, this restaurant serves up authentic Italian recipes and we love the spaghetti con astice with lobster, sweet chilli and garlic sauce, and the risotto ai carciofi, a creamy artichoke risotto. Pizzas and dishes from the robata grill are winners too.
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Was not my selection of a restaurant but was surprised by the pricing on the menu when I looked before I went to the lunch, and was even more surprised when the expensive food was found to be distinctly average - my scallops were over cooked (at £14, I'd have expected better), the beef was nice enough but not £28 worth, and it was slightly overcooked as well - when I ask for medium at this price, I expect medium and not "done"

Waiters seemed to vary from overly attentive early on, to disinterested when you actually wanted to order

All in all, a rather unsatisfactory experience

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Booked a table for Friday night. Food very average and not worth the high price. Service very slow. Waiters rude and unattentative. I think the waiters think that they are bigger than the customer and that they are doing us a favour letting us eat there and that the experience is all about them. Wrong! They stand around like peacocks talking to each other, shove your bill in your hand and dont even look at or engage with you whilst this whole process goes on. Rips the ticket out of the machine and turns and leaves with zero engagment or thanks. I have never been to a worse restaurant for staff attitude and atmosphere and certainly would not go to Il Baretto ever again. There are plenty of good restaurants in Marylebone who know how to treat a customer, choose one of them instead.

1  Thank Neil C
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We got a table for 4 at 8pm on a Friday with no reservation - waited maybe 10 minutes. I think we were lucky, as the downstairs room was pretty much 100% full. There is a small bar at street level which looked good.
I read some of the other reviews, which are mixed. I wonder if that's because people dont know what to expect. This is quite fancy Italian food - we all had pasta dishes and we all were very pleased with the food. Mine was squid ink tagliatelle with seafood. Others had lobster ravioli, and an ossobuco ravioli. You don't get a huge portion but for me it was about right.
The home made breads are delicious. The desserts are also very good. I thought the wine was average, but I didnt choose it. They make a proper espresso. The pizza on the next table looked very good.
As so often, I think this is about expectations. There is a breed of Italian restaurant/bars in London where the food is more adventurious and complex than in a 'traditional' Italian restaurant. I think Il Baretto is a decent example.
Service was very good - maybe we were lucky as I see others have complained - but I thought it was fine. The crowd is very mixed. There were a couple of families with children, a few groups, all pretty upscale. It isnt cheap. Four people, two courses and coffee, one bottle of wine came to £200 including tip. But we had a good time and really for W1 that isnt so bad.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great welcome by all the staff, very cosy basement resturant, silver service, lots of staff.
Food was ok not brilliant, table wine was poor considering the price.
Garlic bread is home baked in clay oven all open to see, an expensive experience.
Deep pockets are required

Reviewed February 6, 2013

I was with 4 colleagues and had an excellent evening, the food was lovely, the wine devine and the service excellent, made better by the fact that I did not pay, would happily do so though!