“Business and leisure stay”

Marlin Apartments Aldgate
Ranked #76 of 869 Specialty Lodging in London
Morecambe, United Kingdom
“Business and leisure stay”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I had a couple of days on business in London and extended it into the weekend so my wife could join me. An apartment worked out really well with lads of space, much more than a hotel room. It also gave s the flexibility of having snacks, drinks in the apartment and not reliant on a hotel mini bar or restaurant. Marlin were very clean, really well equipped and excellent views across the London rooftops.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great location as its a 2 minute walk to the tube station. We were upgraded free of charge to a 2 bedroom apartment with stunning views over the city. Spotless apartment with all mod cons and very comfortable and would definitely return. Staff were very friendly.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We arrived at the apartments after a fairly convoluted journey. There should be a map that comes with your booking as Commercial Road has two directions from the Aldgate East Station.....and we took the wrong direction as the two parts of the road do not join! This is frustrating when you have just come from the airport from an international flight !
The staff on hand were helpful enough except that the map we had received from them did not have the apartments on it. As a result, we were completely flummoxed when our map did not appear to be correct!
There were advertisements in our apartment, on the front desk, and on a sandwich board outside the building advertising the apartments for £69 per night when we had paid £180 per night for 5 nights. When we asked if there could be any meeting with management to discuss this major discrepancy (we had booked only the week before) there was no response from them at all. Nor was there any attempt to contact us during that 5 day period.
So! While the apartment was spacious and had a washing machine/drier the lack of input from management means we would probably not stay there again ....they need to get their customer service sorted as it is non-existent.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nzenny
Andrada S, Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Karen G,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I am delighted to hear that my staff successfully helped direct you to our building, and would mention that maps of all Marlin locations can be found on our website.

With regard to our special rate promotions, in line with most accommodation providers we sometimes offer discounted rates for off-peak times in some of our buildings valid for certain apartment types. We apologise for any confusion caused but the rates you may have seen advertised during your stay were not for our particular building. Should you wish to take advantage of these deals for a future visit to London, please visit our website where our best rates can be found or if you do see one of our advertisements, please be assured that it will always clearly show which building is offering the particular rates and for which dates to guide you when making a booking.

I wasn’t aware of your request to meet me during your stay but would be delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back and ensure your stay is memorable for all the right reasons. Should you plan a return visit to London in the future please contact me directly and I would be happy to assist you.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed four nights in the Marlin Aldgate apartments in June 2013 and enjoyed it. We stayed in a two room apartment. It was clean and very well appointed. We had no problem cooking a couple of our own meals there. Also, to our surprise we had a washer/dryer combination which came in handy. The apartment is only a five minute walk from the tube which came in very handy touring London.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Andrada S, Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Steve O,

I am delighted to know that you very much enjoyed your experience at our apartments. Thank you very much for your lovely review and for taking the time to share your experience with Tripadvisor.

We are indeed very privileged to have such wonderful location, and that we are only a few minutes’ walk from the most important sites of London.

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the Marlin Apartments in July 2013 for 11 nights, on holiday from New Zealand. As a mature couple we were impressed with the large apartment with modern amenities. We were given an apartment on the 13th floor, which gave us some great views of London, including the Shard and Tower Bridge. Although the area is somewhat "intrepid" it has a couple of local Tesco Supermarkets within easy walking distance, and the Aldgate East tube station is about ten minutes walk - BEWARE - it has the tendency to be closed for maintenance each weekend! This can be circumvented by a good twenty minute plus walk through St. Katherine's Docks to Tower Hill Station. As mentioned, we were really impressed with the apartment, and the WiFi connection for our IPad worked well. For some reason, even though we were on the 13th floor, we still had a lot of traffic and people noise at night. The security was good with a swipe card to get in the front door, and we could get rid of our rubbish into a waste taker in the basement. All in all, a good place to stay, and very easy to use public transport via the tube (buy an Oyster Card).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dickyb0y1,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit to London and the Marlin Apartments Aldgate. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much, the view from your apartment, our location and that you found our Wi-Fi connection impressive.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Florida
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I booked this location because it had good reviews on trip advisor, now left wondering what people were thinking when they wrote them. Maybe their apartments were far superior to the many I was put into.

Upon arrival to this property the check in process was quite efficient - however it was strange that the photocopied an ID and Credit Card. I let the uneasy feeling go until we made it to the room. Every surface in the apartment was dirty, stain, or just tired looking - this was consistent among the several different apartments we were taken to after complaining about the first one. Several apartments later the problems were the same - seems a consistent issue around the property - BAD CLEANING/ POOR MAINTENANCE.

While the appearance of the apartments is nice - good size apartment with a full kitchen and even a washing machine - it was such a disappointment to see the lack of care taken in maintaining it. A breakdown of what I experienced:
Sofas are broken down/really worn
Carpets are stained beyond belief
Food still under the coffee table and sofa
Windows not cleaned
Toilet Paper left on balcony (Yes, it even looked used)
Bed had stains and hairs in it - I'm guess from the last guest
Floors un-swept with quite a large amount of dust in corners
Curtains marked up - some of which looked like dried blood (eww)
Lots of marks on walls which could be easily removed if someone actually tried

To make things worse - there are several construction sites around the property which are quite noisy and they start work early. Windows that do open should be shut as soon as it starts. Looks as if it will be going on for quite a while!

The staff onsite are incompetent/ just don't care and apparently all decisions are referred to a manager who is not present. It is a real shame to be honest. As a seasoned traveler who stays in serviced apartments often, this was a disappointment and quite appalling as to how the situation was handled by staff. I would not recommend this place to anyone - unless you don't care about sleeping or living in other people’s filth!! The decision was made to check out of this property and into a hotel for our week in London.

Please be aware when booking this property – I would avoid if at all possible!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank JennFlorida
Andrada S, Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear JennFlorida,

I am disappointed to hear that your experience at Marlin Aldgate did not live up to your expectations having read our positive reviews on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that you found our check-in procedure efficient; please be assured that Marlin takes data protection compliance very seriously. It surprises me, however, that the apartments you saw during your stay at Marlin Aldgate were not to our usual high standard, and I sincerely apologise for this. We pride ourselves on providing a premium product and service so I will personally ensure that all members of housekeeping are being trained to our best standards.

Construction workers are legally obligated to cease work during unsocial hours, but I do apologise if you were inconvenienced by any noise. Unfortunately due to the busy nature of the hospitality industry, speaking with management straight away is not always possible; however I would always personally ensure that I speak with any disappointed guests as soon as possible.

I hope that you will allow us the chance to provide you with the true Marlin experience during a future stay in London.

Kind regards,

Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment on our arrival. Soon after that things started to get messy.
1. No ac and no fans. You have to pay extra to rent a fan.
2. There was a glass coffee table in the reception area. On our second day I accidentally stumbled into the table, breaking it. The girl at the reception said that they put a flower pot on the table everyday to prevent such incidents. The flower makes the otherwise transparent table noticeable, but hotel staff forgot to put it on in the previous evening. Another guest who witnessed it said that she was thankful that her daughter was not involved since she had barely missed the same table a day earlier. When I was informed that I would have to pay for the table ($275 CAD, which has since been charged to my credit card) I had a brief chat with their manager. I didn't want to be absolved completely but stressed on the fact that hotel management should share the expenses since it was a safety hazard just waiting to happen. I was told that no incident took place with the table in the past four years so it had nothing to do with safety. This reminded me of a safety presentation at my place of work - a major reason for all accidents is the "We have done this so many times, nothing can happen to us" mentality. I also mentioned that there was no flower pot as the reception girl admitted. At no point I denied to accept my responsibility but only wanted the hotel management to admit that they failed on their part too.
3. On our sixth evening we were quite rudely asked to move to a one bed room apartment since I was paying for a smaller accommodation only and there was a booking for the two bedroom apartment the next day. We were in the hotel at least till 10 am the same morning and were not informed about checking out (10.30 am is the check out time). It was very late in the evening and we were forced to switch with my young kids after a tiring day.
4. I have travelled to different parts of the globe, have mostly been benefitted by tripadvisor reviews and never had encountered such unfriendly and rude behaviour from any hotel management earlier. Therefore I think it is my duty to narrate my experience for all people wanting to learn more about this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CanadianMusafir
Andrada S, Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear CanadianMusafir,

It saddens me to hear that you experienced some problems during your stay at Marlin Aldgate.

Due to the typical climate in London, air conditioning is not usually necessary. However due to our limited supply of fans we do charge a small fee.

I am sorry to hear about the incident with the glass coffee table. Unfortunately as per the terms and conditions of your booking, it is necessary to charge guests for any damages or breakages incurred during the stay. However, I do apologise if the explanation for the charges was communicated in an unsatisfactory manner.

As regards the issue of the change of apartment, I’m pleased to see that you did indeed benefit from a complimentary upgrade for the duration of your original reservation with us. After check-out, you then unexpectedly returned later in the day after there were issues with your flight. At very short notice we were fortunately able to accommodate your family in our last available apartment however this was already booked by another guest for the following night so it was necessary to relocate you for the second night of your extended time with us in London. I’m delighted that we were able to assist your family at such short notice and hope your onward journey was a smooth one.

I hope that aside from the incidents noted above, you enjoyed your stay at Marlin Aldgate.

Kind regards,