Marlin Apartments Aldgate
$251
$211
Trip.com
  • Pool
Strand Palace Hotel(London)(Great Value!)
$173
$207
$194
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
$154
$139
$274
$221
  • Restaurant
Park Grand London Lancaster Gate(London)(Great Value!)
$252
$227
  • Restaurant
The Nadler Kensington(London)(Great Value!)
$138
$400
$371
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewswashing machinegreat apartmentsbedroom apartmenttower bridgebrick lanemain bathroomthe penthouseliving areaspitalfields markettube stationfully equipped kitchenthe sofa bedgood sizeminute walklate checkreception staffbusiness trip
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed at the Marlin Apartments in July 2013 for 11 nights, on holiday from New Zealand. As a mature couple we were impressed with the large apartment with modern amenities. We were given an apartment on the 13th floor, which gave us some great views of London, including the Shard and Tower Bridge. Although the area is somewhat "intrepid" it has a couple of local Tesco Supermarkets within easy walking distance, and the Aldgate East tube station is about ten minutes walk - BEWARE - it has the tendency to be closed for maintenance each weekend! This can be circumvented by a good twenty minute plus walk through St. Katherine's Docks to Tower Hill Station. As mentioned, we were really impressed with the apartment, and the WiFi connection for our IPad worked well. For some reason, even though we were on the 13th floor, we still had a lot of traffic and people noise at night. The security was good with a swipe card to get in the front door, and we could get rid of our rubbish into a waste taker in the basement. All in all, a good place to stay, and very easy to use public transport via the tube (buy an Oyster Card).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrada S, Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Dickyb0y1,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent visit to London and the Marlin Apartments Aldgate. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much, the view from your apartment, our location and that you found our Wi-Fi connection impressive.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I booked this location because it had good reviews on trip advisor, now left wondering what people were thinking when they wrote them. Maybe their apartments were far superior to the many I was put into.

Upon arrival to this property the check in process was quite efficient - however it was strange that the photocopied an ID and Credit Card. I let the uneasy feeling go until we made it to the room. Every surface in the apartment was dirty, stain, or just tired looking - this was consistent among the several different apartments we were taken to after complaining about the first one. Several apartments later the problems were the same - seems a consistent issue around the property - BAD CLEANING/ POOR MAINTENANCE.

While the appearance of the apartments is nice - good size apartment with a full kitchen and even a washing machine - it was such a disappointment to see the lack of care taken in maintaining it. A breakdown of what I experienced:
Sofas are broken down/really worn
Carpets are stained beyond belief
Food still under the coffee table and sofa
Windows not cleaned
Toilet Paper left on balcony (Yes, it even looked used)
Bed had stains and hairs in it - I'm guess from the last guest
Floors un-swept with quite a large amount of dust in corners
Curtains marked up - some of which looked like dried blood (eww)
Lots of marks on walls which could be easily removed if someone actually tried

To make things worse - there are several construction sites around the property which are quite noisy and they start work early. Windows that do open should be shut as soon as it starts. Looks as if it will be going on for quite a while!

The staff onsite are incompetent/ just don't care and apparently all decisions are referred to a manager who is not present. It is a real shame to be honest. As a seasoned traveler who stays in serviced apartments often, this was a disappointment and quite appalling as to how the situation was handled by staff. I would not recommend this place to anyone - unless you don't care about sleeping or living in other people’s filth!! The decision was made to check out of this property and into a hotel for our week in London.

Please be aware when booking this property – I would avoid if at all possible!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank JennFlorida
Andrada S, Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear JennFlorida,

I am disappointed to hear that your experience at Marlin Aldgate did not live up to your expectations having read our positive reviews on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that you found our check-in procedure efficient; please be assured that Marlin takes data protection compliance very seriously. It surprises me, however, that the apartments you saw during your stay at Marlin Aldgate were not to our usual high standard, and I sincerely apologise for this. We pride ourselves on providing a premium product and service so I will personally ensure that all members of housekeeping are being trained to our best standards.

Construction workers are legally obligated to cease work during unsocial hours, but I do apologise if you were inconvenienced by any noise. Unfortunately due to the busy nature of the hospitality industry, speaking with management straight away is not always possible; however I would always personally ensure that I speak with any disappointed guests as soon as possible.

I hope that you will allow us the chance to provide you with the true Marlin experience during a future stay in London.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We were upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment on our arrival. Soon after that things started to get messy.
1. No ac and no fans. You have to pay extra to rent a fan.
2. There was a glass coffee table in the reception area. On our second day I accidentally stumbled into the table, breaking it. The girl at the reception said that they put a flower pot on the table everyday to prevent such incidents. The flower makes the otherwise transparent table noticeable, but hotel staff forgot to put it on in the previous evening. Another guest who witnessed it said that she was thankful that her daughter was not involved since she had barely missed the same table a day earlier. When I was informed that I would have to pay for the table ($275 CAD, which has since been charged to my credit card) I had a brief chat with their manager. I didn't want to be absolved completely but stressed on the fact that hotel management should share the expenses since it was a safety hazard just waiting to happen. I was told that no incident took place with the table in the past four years so it had nothing to do with safety. This reminded me of a safety presentation at my place of work - a major reason for all accidents is the "We have done this so many times, nothing can happen to us" mentality. I also mentioned that there was no flower pot as the reception girl admitted. At no point I denied to accept my responsibility but only wanted the hotel management to admit that they failed on their part too.
3. On our sixth evening we were quite rudely asked to move to a one bed room apartment since I was paying for a smaller accommodation only and there was a booking for the two bedroom apartment the next day. We were in the hotel at least till 10 am the same morning and were not informed about checking out (10.30 am is the check out time). It was very late in the evening and we were forced to switch with my young kids after a tiring day.
4. I have travelled to different parts of the globe, have mostly been benefitted by tripadvisor reviews and never had encountered such unfriendly and rude behaviour from any hotel management earlier. Therefore I think it is my duty to narrate my experience for all people wanting to learn more about this hotel.

2  Thank CanadianMusafir
Andrada S, Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Dear CanadianMusafir,

It saddens me to hear that you experienced some problems during your stay at Marlin Aldgate.

Due to the typical climate in London, air conditioning is not usually necessary. However due to our limited supply of fans we do charge a small fee.

I am sorry to hear about the incident with the glass coffee table. Unfortunately as per the terms and conditions of your booking, it is necessary to charge guests for any damages or breakages incurred during the stay. However, I do apologise if the explanation for the charges was communicated in an unsatisfactory manner.

As regards the issue of the change of apartment, I’m pleased to see that you did indeed benefit from a complimentary upgrade for the duration of your original reservation with us. After check-out, you then unexpectedly returned later in the day after there were issues with your flight. At very short notice we were fortunately able to accommodate your family in our last available apartment however this was already booked by another guest for the following night so it was necessary to relocate you for the second night of your extended time with us in London. I’m delighted that we were able to assist your family at such short notice and hope your onward journey was a smooth one.

I hope that aside from the incidents noted above, you enjoyed your stay at Marlin Aldgate.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is a great place to stay, it is on the east side, close to Canary Wharf, nice apartments, clean and a lovely staff, Irina and miss Eliotti took good care of us. There is easy access to the tube system and taxies all around. Tesco is just two block away. For two couples who want to tend for themselves or a family this is great. We are two adults and 3 kids and it was perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony and a nice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Andrada S, Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Casper M,

I am pleased to see that you appreciated our standard of cleanliness, that you found our team so helpful and our location very central.
We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Our party was three adults and two teenagers. This was a brilliant place to stay for the week we were in London. We had two bedrooms and two bathrooms, with a sofabed in the living room, great for the five of us. The apartment was very spacious - we were surprised at how large the bedrooms were and the living room was quite nice too. With two teenagers we had a lot of laundry, so having a washer/dryer (soap provided) was a godsend. Dishwasher soap was provided too, along with very nice shampoo and conditioner. TV excellent.

We saved a lot of money be being able to make our own coffee, breakfasts, snacks, etc. Staying in a hotel for a week would have been more expensive, but also harder since we wouldn't have had all the room to spread out. Definitely a good way to go if you are going to be in London for more than a few days.

We stayed at the Marlin Apartments in Aldgate, which is by the Tower of London. (There are several Marlin Apartments all over London.) The Tower was within walking distance, as was London Bridge, Tower Bridge, the Clink Museum, Spitalfields market, Jack the Ripper tours and the Golden Hinde. It is located in an area with businesses and residences, so there are plenty of places to eat and supermarkets within easy walking distance. There is some construction going on, but it didn't bother us - we were up early in the morning anyway. The apartment has very good insulation, so we rarely heard anything if the windows were closed.

The views from the windows and the balcony were amazing. Didn't expect that but quite enjoyed it. Tube station is 5 minute walk away. We went all over London, out to Stonehenge and Warwick Castle, and were very pleased at how easy it was to get around from the apartment.

The staff were friendly and helpful.

2  Thank Marianneza

Dear Marianneza,

Thank you very much indeed for your comments about your recent stay. I am very pleased to hear that you like the size of our rooms and the views of our apartments.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, that you found your time in the apartments memorable and that you enjoyed the local area so much.
We hope to have the pleasure of being your host again soon!