“An absolute gem”

Ranked #68 of 842 Specialty Lodging in London
Uk
“An absolute gem”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I needed a two be apartment to enable my husband and I to attend a function while mother in law babysat the two children. What I hoped for was a clean apartment with a good view (I did request a balcony view with views for my five year old.) The apartment was brilliant. As requested we had apartment 27 on the 12th floor, west tower with lounge/ balcony views stretching from the O2 right round to the Shard and Tower Bridge. From the bedrooms we could even see the Gerkin. My five year old so was thrilled with the views. It also helped that the DVD actually worked, which is a nice touch especially when you have children to enetertain.
Obviously as we were in London there was street noise, sirens etc but this was not hideous and perfectly reasonable given where we were located.
The apartment itself was spotless. The kitchen was well equipped despite the microwave not having a turntable in it, this did not stop it being useable. The litchen had everything that you could need. With a Tesco's Express really near it was easy to get what we needed for dinner for the children and mother in law and breakfast for us all the next morning.
My mother in law opted for the sofa bed in the lounge, which had the most amazingly comfortable mattress, quality not at all thin and useless. The cot that we requested was perfectly useable, mattress a bit stained, but it was a cot. We simply doubled up the bottom sheet and it was perfectly fine. The towels were clean and planty of them and the luixury toiletries a really nice touch. We all slept really well.
The area is which the apartments are is currently being re-developed but they are about 10 minutes walk from Tower Hill or really close to Aldgate East and Aldgate tube stations. A few posters here have commented that its not a great area, perhaps true but the apartments are very secure and the area is improving. This was our first time at any Marlin Apartments but we will definitely be using the apartments again. They are cost effective and a really nice base in the city, either short or long term.
My final comment is that after leaving the apartment, but mother in law found that she had left a ruby and diamond ring in the apartment. I quickly called the apartments while my husband headed back to find said ring. The lady at reception could not have been moire helpful. She located the ring and called me back to say that she had it, my husband was able to pick the ring up very quickly but the receptionist did offer to send the ring to us. This thoughfulness and honesty really just added to the whole excellent experience. I would recommend these apartments, the great staff really added to the whole experience. Thank you.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with views.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank WeiryTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Athens, Greece
Reviewed April 21, 2012

This is a great find, and as I have tried serviced apartments before but not had good success this came as a great surprise. I was going to book at The Stratford location but after reading reviews on Trip Advisor I decided to go a little more expensive and stay at the Aldgate location.
Staff were great , friendly and helpful. The apartment, one bedroom was clean with great furniture and appliances. Washing machine, dishwasher, oven and everything you need. Good bed and bathroom and free wireless internet.
Its in the city but easy to get to anywhere you need in the centre of London and I would always stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a city facing rooms, views are excellent
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank go2mike
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I've stayed here twice the first in February this year. Managed to get a good weekend deal for a 1 bedroom apartment. As usual apartments were clean and tidy, well maintained. Wifi connection was decent, not the fastest though.

The kitchen is relatively big in size which is a plus point if one intends to cook, comes complete with all utensils. Has a microwave and fridge. Bed and pillows are comfortable. The shower has a good amount of force. Bath products are from L'Occitane which was a nice touch. Living area consists of a couch, coffee table and dining table for 4. Very cosy.

Only qualm is the location. Though the closest tube, Aldgate East is in Zone 1, it is on the Hammersmith line which tends to have disruptions on the weekends which automatically adds to the travel time to the more central areas.

Other than that I'd highly recommend this place, way better than most hotels in this price range.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2012

The appartments were nice,the staff were helpful and friendly.Having a Kitchen was excellent as I didn't have to eat out every night.

• Stayed January 2012
DeclanCS, General Manager at Marlin Apartments Aldgate, responded to this review, April 14, 2012
Dear G0905,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I have passed on your encouraging comments to the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Marlin in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2012

these apartments are just fantastic. I had the pleasure of staying in one of the 2 bed penthouses and it was wonderful. they are clean, spacious and superbly appointed! didn't want to go home!

Room Tip: the pentouses are fab - from 95 you cab see the Gherkin, the Shard, one end of Tower Bridge and the...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Haybo
Dear Haybo,

I enjoyed reading your five star review. I am so proud of my team for making you feel welcomed and comfortable at all times. Thank you for letting us know we exceeded your expectations.

We all look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed March 21, 2012

Ive stayed with Marlin four times now in London and I love them. We use them as a base for work and they are ideal. They are really like a home from home place in the middle of the city. They are pricey but worth any extra over travellodge crap. Try them you def won't regret it.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Fredrickson2
Dear Fredrickson2

Thank you so much for the lovely comments. I am thrilled to see that the staffs were able to make you feel at home.

We look forward to continuing to offer you top quality service.

Please contact our reservations team for your next visit as the best available rates can be obtain by booking direct.

hayling island
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Lovely apartment for a weekend break in London. Looked nearly furnished to a very high standard, bed comfortable, sitting room area and fully fitted kitchen with dishwasher and washing machine. To be honest not a great part of London to go out in of an evening. But we felt safe and secure in the apartment and not far from underground and buse routes. Within walking distance of Tower Hill region and St Katherines dock. Would definately stay again.

Room Tip: "Ask for a room with a balcony and views toward tower"
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Barbara C
Dear Barbara C,

Thank you so much you wonderful feedback, I was thrilled to read your 5 star review. I have passed you comments on to the team in City Towers and they are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcome you back to Marlin in the near future.