“Manager with an attitude”

Kensington Square Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Kensington Square Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,820 of 24,121 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Went for a quick lunch today as this charming cafe is in my neighborhood.

The female server was welcoming and fast to set me up with a table.

With sun peaking through the clouds I opted for an outside table with a bit of warmth. The manager then came over and started opening the awning to shade the table. I said, "oh if you're closing that for me, I'm enjoying the sun and don't mind it". The manager said, "other people don't like being in the sun". Since there were only two tables outside and I had one, it was obvious that there wasn't anyone in the other. He relinquished closing with a quip "if someone else comes it will be closed!". OK then!

I looked over the menu which looked delicious - most items described as "home made". I told the server that I have an allium allergy; garlic, onions, shallots, leeks & chives. She said, "no problem" to my inquiry of the Salmon Tartar & Avocado. Stating that the chef would just make one without those ingredients.

She returned to say that wasn't possible, but, I could have any one of a few items the chef marked off as "safe" for me. I chose the Croque Monsieur. Then the manage came over and told me that garlic or onions is used in "everything" on the lunch menu except the Scrambled eggs and the Poached Salmon. Not interested in either I suggested leaving the Bechamel sauce off the Croque Monsieur. The manager told me that the chef makes all the Croque Monsieurs AHEAD AND THEY ALL HAVE THE SAUCE ON THEM!! Really??? After that asinine comment I decided that the manager wasn't having any "special orders" today. I ordered the Banana Bread. That arrived cloyingly sweet and very dry.

The manager attended to the other table several times and never made an attempt to look my way, and certainly didn't ask how the Banana Bread is. Clearly, if he were looking, he could see I took one bite and that was it.

After 1 1/2 hours (really, I'm not making this up) and the other table ate lunch, coffee & dessert and left the server came over and asked if I wanted coffee.

I told her the bread was dry and she apologized and took it off the bill. I then asked about the chef, could the chef really make everything AHEAD OF TIME, have no initiative to make a sandwich for a customer or be creative enough to avoid allium??? To be honest, I know that "special orders" are a pain - I'M A CHEF TOO. However, if you want repeat business accommodating someone is a nice gesture.

I was then told that the manager made up the story and just didn't want to serve me. WOW! I went inside and made a few comments to him about his attitude. He didn't care, no surprise.

3  Thank AOneWorldTraveler

Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

First of all, the food was excellent. Scramblef eggs cooked perfectly with some of the tastiest mushrooms I had. The coffee was above average. Second, the view is nice if you sit outside, and the interior isn't so bad. Service was courteous and efficient. I would say the only downside is that the portions are a bit small for the price, but definitely one of the best breakfasts I had in London.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Went here for brunch, which was a full English breakfast, and wolfed down every mouthful. Delicious. Good quality food, very pleasant service, fresh and clean decor. Worth the money and would definitely go again.

3  Thank Simon B
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I was recently on the lookout for a stylish brunch venue for a party of 22, which is a rather tricky task in central London, it turns out! However, really glad I found Kensington Square Kitchen - it's a lovely little place, just tucked away enough to feel really personal, yet very central and really easy to find. We had a large table downstairs - perfect for our group as it then meant we had the whole of this room to ourselves - and excellent food and service. Upstairs also looked lovely for smaller tables of 2-4. Really good value and lovely, helpful staff. Would highly recommend!

Reviewed November 27, 2011

Went for Sunday brunch, my omelette salad had a worm in it (alive and moving). The waitress looked at it and said "oh" and showed it to who I think was her manager, who asked whether I wanted another one or something else. No apology at all. You'd think they would wash their salads!!!

3  Thank Ashhhok