“Shame as it is missing attention to detail”

Best Western Maitrise Hotel
Ranked #802 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Shame as it is missing attention to detail”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Good value for a room in London,however I would've like to have known there are no windows in the twin rooms before booking... there was an interconnecting door( locked ) but paper thin and we could hear all the conversations next door. Room was also noisy from above from early hours
The bath plug didnot work .
The internet didnot work and we were told to go to costa coffee.
We were not offered hot drinks with breakfast.
It is a shame as we need to travel again next week and I feel sad we could not repeat our stay as the hotel is well placed and good decor and clean.
I was also concerned about the other reviews that have not received their £50 back yet.

Room Tip: Ask about window
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank louise629
Sheridon M, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

I am sorry we seemed to have failed to meet your expectations. All of our twin rooms are advertised as basement and do not have windows. We have invested in air conditioning in the rooms and corridors and fresh air vents to keep the rooms and corridors lovely and cool.

I will look into your comments about the soundproofing and see what can be done to minimize this.
If you would like to return to the hotel please call contact me and i would be happy to discuss making a booking for you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We booked in advance 2 twin rooms for 4 female friends. When we got there only 1 room was twin. They had shortage of rooms. The twin room was downstairs - no window , ok but would prefer daylight. Towels although replaced were not always replaced in same quantity. We had to ask for these to be sent up. The double room was v small. We had a fridge which was great in the heat as we stocked up in water in tesco across rd. didn't approve of £50 charge for insurance for accidental damage. Kilburn pk def the nearest tube station , however road poorly lit on one side - felt a little uneasy walking back in evening. Continental breakfast fine but we had to ask for tea and coffee several times before it arrived. Fresh fruit salad delicious and refilled often, but the fruit bowl really needed some attention as there was some black fruit in it the first day we arrived. Staff courteous but sometimes communication was poor eg fan didn't work in bathroom but they sent a man to fix it when really we only needed to be shown how to turn it on. No info in rooms about hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank puddleplum
Sheridon M, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we appreciate your comments and feedback.

I am sorry we did not have the two twins rooms you booked, I am investigating with the reception team why this happened.

All of your comments have been taken on board and i would like to offer you a discount on a future stay in any of our hotels. Please email or call me to discuss should you wish to make a booking.

Isle of Wight
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Great value. Stayed here with my mother in June for one night as we required a hotel not too far away from Wembley Stadium. We had a twin room which was more than adequate for what we required.

Rooms were small and simple but clean and good value for London (compared with others).

A couple of things;
Bit of a mix up at breakfast- we had paid for an English breakfast in advance and initially were told we'd need to pay a further fee- this was soon resolved when we presented our confirmation and kitchen staff clarified with reception.

Yes you could hear other guests and heavy fire doors slamming- but for one night it was fine.

Overall a good stay. Not too far from wembley on the overground, clean, modern and convenient.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank xXloulabelleXx
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Booked this hotel for one night a couple of weeks ago as part of a trip to London I had organised for my boyfriend's 21st birthday. Despite booking a double room and receiving a confirmation of the booking, upon arrival we were told there had been a problem and they only a twin room to give us.They only offered a free breakfast for the next morning as compensation, which we did not take as we had already made other plans.

When I asked later at reception if any other form of compensation for our inconvenience was available, I was told that a free breakfast or dinner was all that could be offered. I feel, however, that paying the same price for a room I did not want is extremely unfair. Since the stay was part of a birthday present, not getting the room I had booked was extremely disappointing, and the offer of a free breakfast not good enough.

Once we had got home, I emailed the hotel to see if anything else could be done to compensate and I received no reply.

The room was clean, but was a conjoined room with very thin doors so we could clearly hear the people next door talking/laughing/snoring. Also, I think our room must have been under the kitchen, because from 5am the floor right above us was extremely noisy with people going back and forth, so once woken up by the noise it was difficult to get back to sleep.

In short, not what I expected from an apparently 4 star hotel, and am particularly disappointed by the lack of response to the email I sent them. Wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Charlotte383
Thank you for your review.

Please accept my apologies that you did not have a response your email, unfortunately I was on annual leave for 2 weeks and have only today returned to work. As soon as i have read your email and investigated further i will be in touch.

I am sorry that your stay with us was not a positive experience.

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Sent an automatic email by booking.com to outline what I thought of this hotel. Overall, not good.

Based on your experience, how would you rate Quality Hotel Maitrise, Maida Vale’s description?

"Quality Maitrise Hotel has luxury bedrooms with free Wi-Fi. The 4-star boutique hotel is situated in fashionable Maida Vale, just a 3-minute walk from Kilburn Park Station, which offers direct services to Paddington station, Oxford Circus & Piccadilly Circus.

Set in a grand Victorian town house, the modern bedrooms at Quality Maitrise Hotel Maida Vale have a flat-screen TV and tea/coffee making facilities. All rooms have a chic bathroom with a designer power shower.

Rafkins Restaurant and Bar features a lively open-plan kitchen, and serves a creative menu, while the contemporary bar offers light snacks and beverages.

Just a 5-minute tube ride from elegant Paddington, Quality Maitrise Hotel Maida Vale is just 1.5 miles from Regent’s Park. The famous Abbey Road Studios are a 15-minute walk away."

My response is below, it doesn't really emphasise all issues, but covers what was asked of me and I believe it gives you the general idea. We booked this venue for a gig at Wembley Stadium, it worked for what we needed it for. If I was expecting 4* luxury with my fiancé for a romantic weekend away, I would have been very disappointed.

"I wouldn't update the statement, I would update the hotel to match. The bathroom was indeed chic, when first built. The shower head left a lot to be desired (as an example). Dead flies in the partition between the windows and glass which ensures they are not opened, do not scream 4* luxury.

I wouldn't change the detail around you bar / restaurant either - just light a fire under your staff so they understand a little urgency. A hiring manager should also expect a good degree of English to be spoken.

The staff at reception were blunt and straight to the point - efficient I assume but not conducive to front of house."

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank samcat-lynlet
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we appreciate your comments and observations and will take these on board to further develop our services and facilities.

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

On arrival no one at reception when someone did arrive could not operate systems. Got to room at 6 pm but had not been made up so moved. Room had no natural light. Bed very small. Staff very polite. 50 pound damage deposit a surprise. Second day found only one bath towel. Inclusive continental breakfast very good. No info in room of hotel or area. On checking out was told systems did not allow for deposit held to be refunded immediately due to banks being in finance I did not accept this so was offered to charge and then refund my deposit card this I did and assume it will be a dr and cr same day in my account watch this space

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Jacknorton55
Thank you for your review.

To respond to your points- A damage deposit is a standard procedure in hotels. A cash deposit is returned at check out and a per-authorization on a card may take up to 14 days to be released depending on the issuing bank, the only way it can be released immediately is by the hotel completing the original transaction and then doing a complete refund- we are speaking with our merchant supplier to find a better option for our customers.

Unfortunately when the hotel was constructed it was agreed with the council that the windows must be sealed which is why all rooms are fully air conditioned. It takes up to 10 minutes for the air conditioning to kick in.

We appreciate your feedback to continue to improve our services.
Sudbury, suffolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and chose this as it was only £220 which I thought was not bad for a 4 star hotel in London. But all was not good tv did not work for first 2 nights the bed sheets where not changed within our entire stay, the rooms are very hot. We also wanted to extend our stay while we where there by 1 night and they said it will be £126 for the night which I kindly refused considering how much I paid for 4 nights. Restaurant was nice we thought but with London prices don't forget. Next time we go to London it will back to a good old premier inn or something.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

I am sorry you were not satisfied with your stay at our hotel. Our room sizes are comparative to most London hotels with all mod cons and new facilities. I gather the hotel was not all bad as you wanted to extend your stay with us, although you felt the price was not right.

Thank you again for sharing your views with us as we use this valuable feedback to improve our services.