“Great location”

Best Western Maitrise Hotel
Ranked #793 of 1,071 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My fiancée and I stayed at Quality Maitrise for three nights, and we thought it was the perfect base for our first visit to London. The hotels is located close to the tube stations Kilburn High Road and Kilburn Park, and it's fairly quick to get to anywhere you want from those stations.

We arrived at 1 PM at this modern hotel and were able to check in straight away, which was great. Our room was quite small, but as we weren't planning on hanging out in the room too much during our London visit, we didn't see that as an issue at all. The shower was absoutely heavenly, with very good water pressure. The lighting in the bathroom was very good as well.

There's a small fridge for the guests' use in the room, which is great for storing water or beer or whatever you like. The room was very quiet at night and the airconditioning worked superbly. The design of the room was modern and minimalistic, and most importantly, it was clean!

The staff were friendly and made us feel very welcome.

However, there are three things that keep me from giving this hotel full score:
1. The bed was not very comfortable to sleep in at all. I have read somewhere that the hotel recently changed all their mattresses for orthopaedic mattresses, but in that case I think they've been cheated for the mattress toppers. I could feel the springs through the mattress, and I actually woke up a couple of times each night bebause of it.

2: The internet was very unstable. As I said, we didn't go to London to stay in our hotel room, so it didn't really matter that much, but it's nice to be able to google stuff when you're wondering where to go and so on.

3: The breakfast was really disappointing. The staff was unattentive (we never got the coffee they asked us if we wanted, and the buffet was rarely refilled), and the selection was poor. But I guess the selection is a bit culturally dependant, and where I come from the hotel breakfasts usually have a lot more to offer than pastry, yoghurt, fruit and some dry toast.

But all in all,Quality Maitrise offered just what we wanted as our base for our visit to London, it's close to the tube, the bathroom was nice, and everything was spotlessly clean. Wil definitely come back at another occasion!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheridon M, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Thank you kindly for writing us such a detailed review of your stay. Your feedback is so important for us to be able to monitor the services we provide for our customers.

I was happy to hear that you were mostly satisfied with the hotel and services provided. We have been experiencing some issues lately with the Free WIFI we provide for our guests and we are working with our IT team to improve this.

We did recently have new mattresses and we seem to have received a few complaints about them, the head housekeeper is monitoring this and we will endeavor to find a better solution.

Our continental breakfast also offers, fruit salad, cold meats and cheese and we offer a full a la carte cooked breakfast menu. I am going to address the service at breakfast with the staff with some additional training. Please accept our apologies.

Thank you again for your time and please call us for your next visit!

There are newer reviews for Best Western Maitrise Hotel

Reviewed May 13, 2013

This hotel looks hip, chic, boutique, french, modern and retro - and it is. There are a few thing you should bear in mind before deciding to book.....
The rooms are tiny (about 9ft x 10ft).
The wifi is so slow as to be unusable for anything other than emailing and static page browsing - even this will require the patience of a saint. Forget any video content.
Tv reception was also not working during my stay.
The beds are standard doubles, no room for a king size. They are also, lets be kind now, on the firm side.
There isn't much in the immediate area except a mini tesco opposite.
Good points include the following - clean and tidy, EXCELLENT shower, two stations very close, and a reasonable decent breakfast included
Hope that helps

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Joe_G186263
Sheridon M, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you for your review.

Whilst our rooms are cosy, they are comparative to most London City Hotels and equip with all mod cons. We had a problem in the hotel during your stay with the company that provides our broadband and internet, the system went down and unfortunately they took longer to resolve it that we would have liked, happy to report that all is now working again!

Our beds all have orthopedic mattresses to ensure a good night's sleep, we will monitor to see if other guests find them too firm as well.

Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to be able to welcome you back. As a returning guests please call us directly for your next stay.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

How many times have you gone to London and wished your hotel was more central? Or were happy that it was 'clean' as you weren't going to spend much time in it? The Maitrise is two minutes walk from Kilburn tube station and just 10 minutes from Paddington station on the tube. You can be in the centre of London within 15 minutes door to door. The hotel was very well priced and with a continental breakfast included we felt that we had real value for money. The hotel is spotless, well appointed with very efficient staff. Our only issue is with the room itself - it had no window. The May bank holiday weekend was very warm which made the room very stuffy without the air con on all night. This is our only negative comment and it will not prevent us from booking with the Maitrise again, although we will insist on a 'room with a view' the next time.

Room Tip: Insist on a room with a window. Everything else was perfect.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for this kind review. We are so happy you enjoyed your time in the City with the ease of being so centrally located.

When you make your next booking, call us direct to make sure you have a room on the upper floor!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

First thing's first, I honestly don't understand some of the negative comments on here! (especially the comments about the staff) I found this to be, by far, the best hotel I've ever stayed in while in London!

I found all the staff to be incredibly competent at their job, and everyone from the bar staff to the receptionist were approachable, eager to help and we were always welcomed with a smile!

The facilities in the room were much better than we expected, we felt like we got so much more than what we paid for! (The shower was particularly good!). The only criticism I would make about the room is that (as quite a few people have already pointed out) the air-con wasn't particularly good, and the rooms did get very hot.

The breakfast offered was very good, the restaurant offered nice, simple food (although we ate out, so didn't try it ourselves), and the bar was brilliant. We found that the 2 members of staff who worked their were very friendly and couldn't do enough for us!

The only criticism I have after leaving is that it wasn't really made clear when the £50 deposit would be payed back into my account, and i haven't received it back yet (although we did only leave yesterday!).

I will definitely stay here again the next time i'm in London!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LLDale
Sheridon M, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to write us this very kind and honest review.

It is refreshing to hear that you found the staff welcoming and helpful, this is very important to our business. I have shared this review with the team and for them this is very important.

We have just completed some filter cleaning of the air conditioning units today and i think this will ensure the system is running effectively. Thank you for bringing that to our attention.

The pre-authorization which is taken at check in is blocked by the bank as security for the hotel but not charged and is usually released within a few days depending on the issuing bank. We are speaking to our bank to see if there is another option we can use so customers do not have to wait for the pre authorization to be released.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights.
Positives
1) Decor
2) Price cheaper than other similar (based upon photos online, not necessarily actual) hotels in London
3) Clean
4) Room adequate- bed, bathroom, blackout curtains, tv
Negatives
1) Staff unaware of services listed in Welcome booklet (eg. Laundry service, complimentary tea/coffee). ? Poor training of reception & wait staff
2) ? No longer providing services listed (ie. laundry service)
3) Temperature of room- woke in sweats first 2 nights & unable to be in room without Minimal clothing; required aircon to bring down temperature to a bearable level.
4) Wifi Internet not useable (unable to open even 1 website during time of stay)
5) small room
Will find somewhere else to stay next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Synthamin
Sheridon M, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thanks for writing us the review. I am sorry to hear you found the hotel inadequate.

I agree that the staff needs further training, we have a new team in the hotel and as much as we try and cover everything it's difficult for them to remember all of the services we offer. Training is ongoing.

Because the hotel is located in such a busy area with high levels of carbon pollution from the main street, our windows are sealed and the rooms are fully air conditioned, you have to leave your room card inserted in the slot to activate the system and keep the air conditioning running.

Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I booked this hotel as from the website it looked quite nice - however I was very disappointed.

I was allocated a tiny room (which is fine) but it had no window. There was a window but this looked into some kind of store room. The room had an adapted bathroom so it was quite large, however there is no way you would get a wheelchair around in the room so completely pointless.
The toilet made a huge noise every time it was flushed... and the shower, although having a huge shower head only sprayed through a few of the holes (the others were blocked - a serious case for Legionella here...)
My TV didn't work - I asked reception to check it when I went for dinner and it still wasn't working when I got back. When I called reception again they said that they would get someone to come and look at it. 1/2 hour later - still nobody and I called again. They informed me it couldn't be fixed that night.
I then asked about the ipod dock (that are in all rooms according to the website) and I was told not all the rooms have them.
The minibar advertised on the website is actually just a fridge - perhaps it should be advertised like this.
There is no mirror near a plug socket to dry your hair.

The restaurant was very poor - I wouldn't really call it a restaurant, I would liken it more to a builders café.. Hardly any choice on the menu and certainly not Sumptuous as advertised.

On check out nobody asked if I had enjoyed my stay or offered any apologies for the lack of TV. Not sure I will stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SAash911

I would like to thank you for writing us a review.

I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations on this visit. Our TV's are looked after by an external company who maintains the system. I am told by reception that they reported the TV issue but the company was unable to send someone until the next day. We are now addressing this with the company.

We have changed our website and those of our partners to advertise the hotel as having mini fridges and not Mini bars, unfortunately some third party websites may hold incorrect information about the hotel and if and when this comes to light we do do contact them to correct that information. This is also the case with our ipod docking stations.

You will be pleased to know that we have just relaunched the menu for the restaurant offering a bigger selection of freshly cooked food. The new menu goes live this week!

Once again i am really sorry we did not make the best impression this time, if you would like to come and stay with us again please contact me personally to arrange your stay and i will be sure to give you a discount as well.

many thanks

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights in April 2013 as part of a wedding party and it was a disappointing and frustrating experience right from the start. When we arrived it took us about 20 minutes to check in as the reception staff were very slow (to put it politely) and had trouble spelling our names and understanding the concept that two rooms had been booked under the same name, for two different people. We were asked to pay a £50 deposit for the mini bar, fair enough maybe, but when we got to the rooms the mini bars were in fact empty!? The air con in the room was very ineffective and it was hot and stuffy. Breakfast service was shockingly slow, there were nowhere near enough tables, or staff, and the cooked breakfast, when it came, was not definitely worth the extra £8.50 added to our bill. When we tried to order from the '24 hour room service' menu around 1.30am, we were told this was unavailable as the chef had gone home. For the price we paid for this hotel the whole experience was very disappointing. On the plus side, the room and bathroom were clean and well-presented, if a bit on the small side. It was a shame the service didn't match up to the high expectations presented by the decor.

Room Tip: There are basement rooms that don't have windows.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for writing us a review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay.

Having reviewed your check in, it seems there were several guests at the reception at the time of check in. There is one receptionist doing check-in's and one PC so it's difficult to speed up the process. With this particular group booking we did ask the party to provide us with full names to be entered in the system prior to arrival to avoid any delays at check in and i suspect the staff just wanted to check the details to ensure everything was correct.

We ask for a £50.00 refundable deposit either by cash or credit card as a pre-authorization. This is for security on your room and can be used for incidental charges such as bar drinks. All of the staff are aware that we do not have mini bars, we have mini fridges for guests use.

It seems some rooms still had the information about room service which we discontinued, we have now removed all of these.

Once again i am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and I thank you for your comments which we we take on board.