“Excellent value for money!”

Best Western Maitrise Hotel
Ranked #753 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money!”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

First thing's first, I honestly don't understand some of the negative comments on here! (especially the comments about the staff) I found this to be, by far, the best hotel I've ever stayed in while in London!

I found all the staff to be incredibly competent at their job, and everyone from the bar staff to the receptionist were approachable, eager to help and we were always welcomed with a smile!

The facilities in the room were much better than we expected, we felt like we got so much more than what we paid for! (The shower was particularly good!). The only criticism I would make about the room is that (as quite a few people have already pointed out) the air-con wasn't particularly good, and the rooms did get very hot.

The breakfast offered was very good, the restaurant offered nice, simple food (although we ate out, so didn't try it ourselves), and the bar was brilliant. We found that the 2 members of staff who worked their were very friendly and couldn't do enough for us!

The only criticism I have after leaving is that it wasn't really made clear when the £50 deposit would be payed back into my account, and i haven't received it back yet (although we did only leave yesterday!).

I will definitely stay here again the next time i'm in London!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank LLDale
Sheridon M, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear reviewer, thank you for taking the time to write us this very kind and honest review.

It is refreshing to hear that you found the staff welcoming and helpful, this is very important to our business. I have shared this review with the team and for them this is very important.

We have just completed some filter cleaning of the air conditioning units today and i think this will ensure the system is running effectively. Thank you for bringing that to our attention.

The pre-authorization which is taken at check in is blocked by the bank as security for the hotel but not charged and is usually released within a few days depending on the issuing bank. We are speaking to our bank to see if there is another option we can use so customers do not have to wait for the pre authorization to be released.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights.
Positives
1) Decor
2) Price cheaper than other similar (based upon photos online, not necessarily actual) hotels in London
3) Clean
4) Room adequate- bed, bathroom, blackout curtains, tv
Negatives
1) Staff unaware of services listed in Welcome booklet (eg. Laundry service, complimentary tea/coffee). ? Poor training of reception & wait staff
2) ? No longer providing services listed (ie. laundry service)
3) Temperature of room- woke in sweats first 2 nights & unable to be in room without Minimal clothing; required aircon to bring down temperature to a bearable level.
4) Wifi Internet not useable (unable to open even 1 website during time of stay)
5) small room
Will find somewhere else to stay next time.

1 Thank Synthamin
Sheridon M, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thanks for writing us the review. I am sorry to hear you found the hotel inadequate.

I agree that the staff needs further training, we have a new team in the hotel and as much as we try and cover everything it's difficult for them to remember all of the services we offer. Training is ongoing.

Because the hotel is located in such a busy area with high levels of carbon pollution from the main street, our windows are sealed and the rooms are fully air conditioned, you have to leave your room card inserted in the slot to activate the system and keep the air conditioning running.

Thank you for your comments.
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I booked this hotel as from the website it looked quite nice - however I was very disappointed.

I was allocated a tiny room (which is fine) but it had no window. There was a window but this looked into some kind of store room. The room had an adapted bathroom so it was quite large, however there is no way you would get a wheelchair around in the room so completely pointless.
The toilet made a huge noise every time it was flushed... and the shower, although having a huge shower head only sprayed through a few of the holes (the others were blocked - a serious case for Legionella here...)
My TV didn't work - I asked reception to check it when I went for dinner and it still wasn't working when I got back. When I called reception again they said that they would get someone to come and look at it. 1/2 hour later - still nobody and I called again. They informed me it couldn't be fixed that night.
I then asked about the ipod dock (that are in all rooms according to the website) and I was told not all the rooms have them.
The minibar advertised on the website is actually just a fridge - perhaps it should be advertised like this.
There is no mirror near a plug socket to dry your hair.

The restaurant was very poor - I wouldn't really call it a restaurant, I would liken it more to a builders café.. Hardly any choice on the menu and certainly not Sumptuous as advertised.

On check out nobody asked if I had enjoyed my stay or offered any apologies for the lack of TV. Not sure I will stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SAash911
I would like to thank you for writing us a review.

I am very sorry we did not meet your expectations on this visit. Our TV's are looked after by an external company who maintains the system. I am told by reception that they reported the TV issue but the company was unable to send someone until the next day. We are now addressing this with the company.

We have changed our website and those of our partners to advertise the hotel as having mini fridges and not Mini bars, unfortunately some third party websites may hold incorrect information about the hotel and if and when this comes to light we do do contact them to correct that information. This is also the case with our ipod docking stations.

You will be pleased to know that we have just relaunched the menu for the restaurant offering a bigger selection of freshly cooked food. The new menu goes live this week!

Once again i am really sorry we did not make the best impression this time, if you would like to come and stay with us again please contact me personally to arrange your stay and i will be sure to give you a discount as well.

many thanks
Bordeaux, France
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights in April 2013 as part of a wedding party and it was a disappointing and frustrating experience right from the start. When we arrived it took us about 20 minutes to check in as the reception staff were very slow (to put it politely) and had trouble spelling our names and understanding the concept that two rooms had been booked under the same name, for two different people. We were asked to pay a £50 deposit for the mini bar, fair enough maybe, but when we got to the rooms the mini bars were in fact empty!? The air con in the room was very ineffective and it was hot and stuffy. Breakfast service was shockingly slow, there were nowhere near enough tables, or staff, and the cooked breakfast, when it came, was not definitely worth the extra £8.50 added to our bill. When we tried to order from the '24 hour room service' menu around 1.30am, we were told this was unavailable as the chef had gone home. For the price we paid for this hotel the whole experience was very disappointing. On the plus side, the room and bathroom were clean and well-presented, if a bit on the small side. It was a shame the service didn't match up to the high expectations presented by the decor.

Room Tip: There are basement rooms that don't have windows.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for writing us a review. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay.

Having reviewed your check in, it seems there were several guests at the reception at the time of check in. There is one receptionist doing check-in's and one PC so it's difficult to speed up the process. With this particular group booking we did ask the party to provide us with full names to be entered in the system prior to arrival to avoid any delays at check in and i suspect the staff just wanted to check the details to ensure everything was correct.

We ask for a £50.00 refundable deposit either by cash or credit card as a pre-authorization. This is for security on your room and can be used for incidental charges such as bar drinks. All of the staff are aware that we do not have mini bars, we have mini fridges for guests use.

It seems some rooms still had the information about room service which we discontinued, we have now removed all of these.

Once again i am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us and I thank you for your comments which we we take on board.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I normally write Yelp reviews - http://www.yelp.com/biz/quality-maitrise-hotel-london#hrid:y7-ScZ-l5YQ_ZeYW6ii0pA

Regarding a stay from 21-26 April 2013 in a double room.

My partner was in London on business, and I decided to accompany him and work remotely from the hotel room for the week. Through his work, we had The Quality Maitrise Hotel for 5 nights. For the majority of the stay, it was passable for London.

Pros
- Close location to the tube
- Close to our where our friends live nearby
- Walking distance to where my partner had to be for work
- Free wifi
- Plenty of shops nearby, if you needed them
- Free breakfast, if you like that sort of bog standard spread

Cons
- Really spotty wifi - which really interrupted my day-to-day for work (so I had to get up really early or stay logged on late to ensure I got what I needed done)
- You couldn't open the windows
- From time to time, the smell of weed crept in to the room (see previous con about not being able to open the window to air out the room)
- Rooms are minuscule, and if you have been on business travel like myself and have previously spent a week elsewhere in Europe... there is barely any room for large suitcases and other bags

Major gripe(s)
First - going down for breakfast, we were asked for our room, which we provided, and apparently it had already been crossed off the list. We obviously wouldn't lie about what room we just came from, because we have the keys!

What really set me off... Since I was working remotely all week from the hotel room, the only real chance housekeeping could come in to clean was 1-2 times when we went down for breakfast. So when I checked out of the hotel this afternoon, the front desk informed me that there was a note for our room saying we had taken a power adapter??

Front desk receptionist with black hair: I have a note here that says you took the power adapter
Me: Pardon? What power adapter?
Front desk: It adapts the power
Me: Yes I know, but we live in the UK we don't need a power adapter
Front desk: But it says here you took it
Me: Um, but we didn't.

Completely baffled by this blatant accusation... 1) What power adapter? I never saw a power adapter when we were plugging in one of our many phone/laptop chargers into the wall 2) WE LIVE IN THE UK, we don't need power adapters!

It was an OK stay, which culminated with a ludicrous accusation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank LexingtonG
Thank you for writing us a review. My sincere apologies that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations.

Without being able to check your exact room number and dates of stay, with respect to the breakfast incident of having your name already crossed off the list , unfortunately some customers from time to time give wrong numbers when they come down , usually as an innocent mistake but the room cards do not have numbers on them for security reasons and the staff take their word for it, so i am guessing that is what happened in this instance.

In regards to you being accused of stealing, i think this might be more a problem of communication than an accusation. The staff issue the adapters from reception and normally just make a note of the room number so they can collect them at check out. From reading this i am sure it was just a mistake in the staff either writing the wrong room number or that a guests may have changed rooms and that information was not modified. Either way i am very sorry it came across to you as an accusation, please accept my apologies and i will address this with the team.

If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me and i would be happy to hear from you.

Many thanks
winchester
Reviewed April 21, 2013

On first sight, any hotel in Kilburn High Road is going to be questionable. But, to be fair, for a night or two, this hotel is perfectly acceptable. The rooms are small, the bathrooms are probably the smallest I've ever seen, but everything was spotlessly clean and, to me, that's important.

Like other reviewers I agree the bed was a little hard. We had a room at the back that overlooked a pigeon dropping favourite of Kilburn's pigeon population, some scaffolding and a graffitied wall.

The girls on reception were extremely warm and helpful and the decor was contemporary (not really my thing) but tasteful. We didnt sample the breakfast (continental, included).

My only advice/criticism was that there were no frills. Take your own soap, shampoo etc. The products offered in the bathroom were not much more than a handwash. Tea and coffee facilities provided.

For £119 a night with a good link to central London it was ok. If you want to double your price then go to the Marriott in Maida Vale. Times it by ten and you get a better room at Claridges or the Ritz.

Room Tip: The front is likely to be noisy, the back is not aesthetically pleasing. I'd probably go for th...
1 Thank lily23007
Sheridon M, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Thank you for writing us a review for your recent stay, we really do appreciate the feedback.

Whilst we would like to provide better views for all of our rooms, it is the unfortunate side to being centrally located in a big and vibrant city like London. The rooms at the front are actually not any more noisy because they all have triple grazing.

We also have additional toiletries should our guests require them, hotel toiletries always come in miniature sizes so we can put new ones daily.

Once again thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
Middleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Perfect location is the only plus i am afraid, sweltering hot rooms, air con not the best, beds so uncomfortable (am actually writing this while unable to sleep), leaky shower heads (which got reported but never mended), really really poor stay. Can not state enough how painful it is too sleep on these beds, breaks like these you normally enjoy going away, unfortunately can not wait to go home, please take this review on board before booking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
I would first of all like to say thank you for taking time to write us this review as it is essential to our business so we can improve and make changes as and when necessary.

I was sorry to hear that you had an uncomfortable night's sleep. We have invested in Orthopedic mattresses for all of the beds in the hotel so i was a little surprised to hear that you found it uncomfortable. I will continue to monitor if we have further complaints.

Thanks again