“Very comfortable hassle free stay”

Best Western Maitrise Hotel
Ranked #746 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Glasgow
“Very comfortable hassle free stay”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Booked to stay here at short notice and got a pretty good deal for a VIP room through hotels.com. After reading some reviews I was a bit apprehensive but I have to say I had a very pleasant stay.

Check in was quick and efficient and the guy on the front desk was very pleasant and welcoming. The £50 thing - they basically put a £50 blocker on the card in case of damage or use of the mini bar but the issue is the mini bar is not a mini bar, it's a fridge - there is nothing in it !! So I don't quite get this policy as any charges could be put onto the credit card you booked with in the first place - and taking 7-10 working days to credit this back is not good enough in my opinion. !

That aside the hotel entrance and hallways are very pleasantly decorated and well lit. The room I had was on the 3rd floor and was a VIP room. It was pretty small and the view from the window was just scaffolding which was a bit unfortunate. The room had a safe, a fridge (not a mini bar), plenty of hanging space, tea and coffee making facilities (no breakfast tea however, just green and herbal), ipod docking station and TV with plenty of channels. The bed I found very comfortable (some may find it a little hard) and thus had three very comfortable nights sleep.

The air con is very efficient, a little noisy as most are and with it being a small room you might notice it a bit more than normal, but it's very effective. The gem however is the shower, it's amazing ! Monsoon style with plenty of hot water which is a great start to anyones day. The bathroom itself was very nice overall if a little small but as I was on business on my own it suited me just fine.

The wifi is free and easy to use (which can't be said for some bigger hotels) but for a business traveller there is no workspace in the room - just about enough space for the laptop under the TV (which is set into a unit in the wall) but the chair is too low for typing - so a bit of a hassle if you have a bit of work to do.

I didn't eat in the hotel as I had a room only rate so can't comment on the food but the breakfast layout and the restaurant itself looked nice - the kitchen always seemed to be closed when I came in from work however !

Location wise it's very good for the tube as you are 5 minutes walk from Kilburn station (not 30 seconds as some have said) however I would agree the area is not the nicest for going for a walk at night. Shops wise there is a tesco express and a very nice (and big) starbucks directly across from the hotel - apart from that it's fast food outlets galore !

So overall I had a pretty pleasant stay and would return in the future if I could get a room with a desk.

Room Tip: VIP rooms will give you a few more home comforts but no desk is a pain for the business traveller.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Beautiful hotel,lovely rooms.
Everything is very clean.
I suggest everybody to spend some days in this hotel.
It's Two minutes far from the underground station of kilburn park.
Last but not less important thing.. Cesar (the receptionist) is a very kind and efficient boy Who helped me and my girl friend about everything!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Mazzo7
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2012

After reading some of the awful reviews on here, i was expecting to be greeted with a greedy, money grabbing dungeon, but after staying there i don't really see what all the fuss is about. Yes, the rooms are fairly small but if there's just two of you staying there for a night then it's fine. The bathroom was an ok size and clean and the staff were all friendly. The only problem i had was that the bed was a little creaky which meant you could hear others moving around at night, and there was a control panel next to the door that wouldn't turn off, so a bright light was on all the time.

Aside from that though, it was fine. Situated opposite Kilburn Park tube, it's really easy to get to and we weren't asked for the £50 deposit that i've read about on here.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

A group of us visited London for a friends wedding, following some searches we chose this hotel as it seemed a good price for a 4 star hotel.

This is where it all started to go wrong, yes the hotel is pretty modern in terms of decoration, but its basically a block of shops/flats converted into a hotel, there is nothing 4 star about this hotel. i would class it as 3 star at the best.
They class this hotel in Maida Vale - IT IS NOT IN MAIDA VALE! The hotel is in Kilburn on Kilburn High Road, it is situated in a bad area and I would not recommend walking around at night time - the hotel has no car park.

The receptionist was friendly but I can imagine a snail being faster, it took me 4 attempts to get our key card working - she was pleasant but sorry useless. The guy that worked there, when she wasn't around, was extremely rude.

There was 6 of us staying in hotel, 2 double rooms and 1 twin. They lost one of the double room bookings which took nearly 1 hour to sort - nightmare.

I was in the twin, this was in the basement - it smelt of damp and sewage in the basement, it was vile. There was a constant beep noise every 3-4 mins, sounded like a dead battery in a smoke alarm, which was so annoying and kept us awake.

The room was TINY - barely enough room to walk around, the bathroom was like a shoe cupboard! There were no windows, there was no fresh air and it was very unpleasant.

And I know it wasn't just me as there was another couple from USA complaining about the hotel and the lack of room available.

We had the continental breakfast booked, which consisted of orange juice, an apple and a croissant. It was not pleasing at all, the selection was poor.

The only positive thing I can say is the Hotel is a 2 min walk from kilburn tube station

Room Tip: If you must stay here, avoid the basement.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Richard H
Cairo, Illinois
Reviewed September 28, 2012

we hust come back from london one week ago, we booked in this hotel because it's very comfort with the transport(subway,autobus) just 40 second from hotel.
the room is nice, u 've all what u need in this hotel,room is clean, lovely staff, and u've the tea in ur room for free :) (good idea)
davvero è fantastico molto vicino a tutti i trasporti, pulito e in camera hai tuuto cio che serve

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed a this hotel last week for 4 nights. After reading several bad reviews we were a bit worried about what we would find at the hotel. However we were pleasantly surprised. The staff at the hotel were helpful and friendly and the room was lovely. The one thing we kept reading was the lack of widows, our room did have a large window which did not open however the air conditioning was adequate enough. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was also lovely. The hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the tube station which takes you direct to places such as Picadilly Circus, Baker Street- Madame Tussauds and the overground train station is a mere 2 minute walk. There is also a tesco conveniently located accross the road. Overall we were very happy with our stay and will definitely be staying again if we visit London again!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor
2 Thank Rachael K
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband an I travelled from Western Australia, paying in full for our 'Executive Room at the 'Zero Quality Maitrise Hotel' several months earlier. We confirmed our arrival details and e-mailed them to inform the hotel about our check in time.....we were horrified to be told at reception that there was NO room for us. The hotel have broken their written contract with us which is a breach of contract in British Law. After much discussion with a staff member who spoke almost no English, we were eventually shuffled off to a much lower grade hotel some distance away which was one step up from a YMCA which was very far removed from the standard of hotel we had paid for and had expected. Run a mile from this hotel. Shut this place down soon it has no right to call itself a hotel and has absolutely no scruples. Four Star hotel....you would get better service in Wandsworth Prison !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family