“Lovely!!”

Ranked #799 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Lovely!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed a this hotel last week for 4 nights. After reading several bad reviews we were a bit worried about what we would find at the hotel. However we were pleasantly surprised. The staff at the hotel were helpful and friendly and the room was lovely. The one thing we kept reading was the lack of widows, our room did have a large window which did not open however the air conditioning was adequate enough. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was also lovely. The hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the tube station which takes you direct to places such as Picadilly Circus, Baker Street- Madame Tussauds and the overground train station is a mere 2 minute walk. There is also a tesco conveniently located accross the road. Overall we were very happy with our stay and will definitely be staying again if we visit London again!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rachael K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband an I travelled from Western Australia, paying in full for our 'Executive Room at the 'Zero Quality Maitrise Hotel' several months earlier. We confirmed our arrival details and e-mailed them to inform the hotel about our check in time.....we were horrified to be told at reception that there was NO room for us. The hotel have broken their written contract with us which is a breach of contract in British Law. After much discussion with a staff member who spoke almost no English, we were eventually shuffled off to a much lower grade hotel some distance away which was one step up from a YMCA which was very far removed from the standard of hotel we had paid for and had expected. Run a mile from this hotel. Shut this place down soon it has no right to call itself a hotel and has absolutely no scruples. Four Star hotel....you would get better service in Wandsworth Prison !

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank mikecgoodall
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

As a regular hotel user I know what to look out for. I stopped at this hotel last night and give you my experience to consider.

I booked the hotel through CWT (a well known business traveller portal) for B&B @ £121.29.

I arrived around 9:30pm to be told 'sorry no booking'. I showed her the email confirmation and she then said "ok found it now". She then said "sorry no room - but I can give you a single basement room". This was the smallest room I have ever stayed in! It was very hot and the aircon didn't make any difference but made a loud noise in doing so!

After a night of little sleep I got up early (they didn't bother to honour the wake-up call either).

At checkout they told me the price was £141.29. Obviously I challenged this and again pointed to my confirmation. They backed down and said ok to the £121 price. Next I presented my AMEX, which she had taken the night before as a guarentee. "oh AMEX. We have to charge a service fee to take payment against this of £5". Of course I told them no way and again they backed down.

I have stayed in this hotel once before without any of these problems and when I asked what had happened he told me "it's our Olympic rates - and the management are trying to recover"

Only positive comment is that Breakfast was ok.... and they didn't try to charge me for it!

I will NEVER stay in this hotel again and urge others to avoid it to!

Room Tip: Try ot get one above ground!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GDaddy-Scotland
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

breakfast was included in price but was t that good, it was just ok!
but personal and service was really good. I liked how clean the hotel was and the best thing was that it was close to central london

• Stayed August 2012
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

This Hotel is great for you who want to enjoy London, live at a nice hotel with great communications to the inner city - and don't want to spend a fortune.

We stayed for two nights. The location is nice, it's not central, but still you can get to Oxford street, for example, in about ten minuets. The bus, which goes all night by the way, stops right outside the hotel entrance and costs only £1,30. You also have the tube a short walk from the hotel, so thats excellent.

The staff is really helpful. Our first night we had some problems with a couple of extremely loud partying guests and the gentlemen at the desk got to it right away when we eventually felt that we've had enough and called down to the reception. Also, there were some issues with the breakfast that, according to supersavertravel, should have been included but was actually not. This the receptionist took care of immediately and the next morning we got breakfast as promised. A nice, standard breakfast (although, as a tip to the management, some boiled eggs and veggies to have on your morning sandwich, would be great!). Overall, very friendly and helpful staff!

Our room was very nice. I was quiet afraid the be put in one of the notorious windowless rooms, but we got one with a nice view over the neighborhood rooftops. The room was not very big, but nor was it very small. Quiet perfect, I would say. Complementary coffee and tea, was I nice surprise too. The bed was very hard, but since I like that I was pleased. The air condition was, in my experience, not very loud (they tend to be that sometimes...), and we could easily sleep with it on. The room did not have a mini bar, but for us that didn't matter. The hotel has a nice bar downstairs anyway.

In the neighborhood you can find all sorts of restaurants and pubs. I would personally recommend the Italian place, right by the hotel. Great food and really nice staff. Also, we discovered afterwards, the hotel also gives some discounts at that restaurant - don't forget to ask about that! (The prices, however, are more than affordable even without the discount.).

One negative thing though is the deposit you have to make when you check in, apparently in case of something breaking in you room(?!). Not only do I perceive this as a little bit rude (since there already were some broken things in our room such as some tiles in the bathroom, the towel warmer and the TV) it's, in addition, quiet a lot to ask for £50, I think - especially since you don't get any information about that when you book. This I have never experienced anywhere in the world - especially not at a 4 star hotel! - when I've traveled (possibly at a youth hostel someplace...) Normally a hotel just take a photo copy of your credit card or passport (which they also do here), in case of any problems or unpaid bills. Also, the deposit takes almost a whole workweek to get back after check-out. This, I don't like at all and I especially think that this is information that guests should receive beforehand.

However, I would definitely stay here again and I would absolutely recommend this hotel to my friends. In mostly all aspects, you get good value for your money, really nice treatment from the staff - whenever you might need it! - and a pleasant stay nearby the inner city of London.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LucyAndersson
Paul K, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind feedback following your reservation here in London with us.

Naturally I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay & I do agree with you that this is a fantastic property in a great location!

We are now putting a procedure in place to resolve the issue of cancelling the pre-authorisation taken on arrival.

I would like to explain that the deposit is taken to cover any telephone calls that are made in the room or for any drinks charged at the bar.

It is my hope that you will return to us in the near future.

Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is the best value hotel I've ever stayed at in London.

The building is modern and well-maintained, the room was clean and well-equipped (good TV, air conditioning etc), the staff were friendly and helpful, the bathroom & shower were fantastic and the location is very good for anyone wishing to explore west London.

The room cost only £81 which is very cheap for London so I was not expecting the place to be great. In fact, this was fantastic value and I will certainly be looking to stay here again, next time I go to the cricket at Lord's.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank paddy C
Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to read such a positive review from your stay with us.

It is always very refreshing for the team to see that their hard work is recognised & we are all very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay.

The hotel is perfectly located for the cricket at Lords & I hope that you will continue to return to us for the rest of the cricket season.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I thought the hotel would live up to the ratings on here but it absolutely didn't. Everything about this hotel was a disappointment. When I checked in the receptionist made me sign all the paper work then asked for a £50 deposit. Let's hope it's back in over the next 2 days as they claim. I booked a queen size room, the bed was barely a double, then the guy at the front said "all British Queen size beds are like double beds". (I couldn't believe that he was actually being serious). Not to mention the bed was uncomfortable and hard.

The remote wasn't working and TV had one channel and it would have been better if there was no volume at all because the maximum channel volume was like a whisper. You could barely hear anything. I was told that the building had a power failure and over 70% of the hotel tv's were affected, thus there was only one channel. The guy said that it would be fixed in the next 2 weeks, as if that would help. I seriously don't know how this hotel has such high ratings on here. Take my word for it and spend some extra pounds and get a real budget "Quality Hotel"

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank travetelic
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for providing a review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry that there appear to have been issues during your time at the hotel & I would like to speak to you regarding this.

Please contact me at the hotel so that I can gain a full understanding of the issues & what can be done to rectify them.

I do hope that you will consider returning to us in the near future but please do contact me so that we can talk this through & reach an agreement.