“Not happy & am taking action”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tommy Miah's Raj Hotel
Ranked #361 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Fleet
“Not happy & am taking action”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2009

Not happy….
Following our stay at this hotel I am thinking of taking action on them via the small claims courts.
When we arrived we were taken to our room via a goods lift, which was fine, we were happy with our room, though thought it odd that there was a sign saying there had been no hot water all that day.
We went out and upon returning I opened the door and realised our room was flooded - the water pipes had burst. Management were not helpful and my friend who was staying in another room helped rescue what could be rescued of our stuff which was drenched - water was pouring out over the toilet and from the walls.
We asked for something in writing stating what had happened and were refused. After waiting in reception for a while to be moved we were told to go with a taxi driver who was told to find us a hotel!!
We then had to pay for our taxi to a hotel that was dirty and the rooms were cramped that was a couple of miles away, though we were lucky that the taxi driver could find us anywhere.
In the morning my friend had to get a cab back to the Tommy Raj to collect his car - again spending more of his own money.
We have called the hotel, who have been very unhelpful, lied (saying they refunded us - they didn't) and hanging up the phone on us.
We are looking into a small claims court now, as I don't feel they should get away with this disgusting behavior.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank flexer81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
pula, croatia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2009

Hotel was more than we expected. Room was nice and clean, bed was very comfortable and bathroom spacious and very clean. Location is great because Islington is interesting part of London (nice restaurants, bars, antique shops) across the street was two supertmarkets (they both work till 11 p.m.), and bus station (direct line from hotel to the central London). Little problem can be noise (can be solved with an ear plugs). Staff was great and very helpful.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brankojana
East Midlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2009

We only needed a crash pad and this was the right price in the right location. The Receptionist at check in was completely disinterested verging on rude. The room stank of stale smoke. Usually I'd reqest another room, but I assumed they'd all be as bad. The bathroom was at least clean and newly refurbished. The toilet cistern however made an extremely startling noise whenever the toilet was used and the drians stank. The bed was ridiculously uncomfortable but at least the sheets seemed freshly laundered.

Breakfast was a standard affair, but service was non-existant. When tea was finally forthcoming, I had to help myself to tecups from behind the bar.

I don't think I'd stay again or recommend this place. The Lift was a wheeze though.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Northern Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2009

I brought my father to see Arsenal and I was told this hotel is ten minutes from the stadium. It took us one hour walking.Whoever said ten minutes must have used a helicopter. I had seen the mixed reviews and thought I'd give it a chance.
The staircase and the floors are running at a slant and the carpet is lifting in places. At the top of the stairs the carpet is stuck down with tape and is very dangerous. If health and safety checked this hotel they would probably close it down.
The hotel have tried to refresh the look of the place with white paint and have covered the carpet.Check out my photos. No cooked breakfast, you just help yourself to toast.
We had to use the taxi base next door to go to Halloway road tube station, first journey was £5, same journey later that day was £8.50 and the next day was £8.00. These guys just charge what they like.
Bottom line is we would have been better off staying in a hostel.
I am not one of these guys who like complaining.I leave reviews for all my holidays and this is the first time I have had reason to complain. You can check out my other holidays at HOLIDAYS UNCOVERED.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2009

A year ago we stayed in room 106 which was wonderful- especially the great cooked breakfast and freshly cooked croissants. However more recently we stayed in the hotel for a weekend and we did not enjoy the experience. Firstly we stayed in room 207 which was awful as there was a small gap between the single glazed window pane and frame meaning that noise from the busy road outside was not insulated, resulting in no sleep that night whatsoever. We asked to move rooms, but the one of the staff said she had to consult her manager first and let us know later in the day and we were made to felt like we were incoveniencing her. Also no apologies for our bad experience. We eventually got moved to room 203 which was slightly better as we were facing the street just off the main road, but it was still quite noisy. The breakfast was a bit disappointing, as we had to pay for cooked breakfast if we wanted it rather than it being included in the price. The continental was okay with cornflakes, toast, yoghurt, fruit and muffins but only croissants from a pack this time. It's a shame our first experience was so much better than our recent stay there. Despite this, it is good value (quote online price of £55) if you get a room that is not facing the main road as the hotel rooms are decorated in a modern fashion, has a comfortable bed, flatscreen TV and a nice bathroom.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2009

Was a good city brake from Manchester. Family of three (no extra charge) for two nights at New Years Eve with youngest 14 to see fire work at London eye. (Raj hotel in islington, Elena hotel must be it's previous name.) Friendly staffs, clean rooms, comfortable beds, good bus service from the doorstep. Continental breakfast cereal, fruit, fruit yogurt, croissants, toast and jam, cake. Plus on New Year’s Day complimentary full English and with a glass of buxfizz, very nice. Car parking was a problem. Don’t know what I’d have done if canon bury rd. car wash-car park wasn’t there 0.8 mile away, £9 for day £14 for 24h. Other odd complaints, mangy staircase carpet, no mirror except one in bath room, no safe box in room, no clothe hooks in bath room. But, yes I’d stay there again.

Stayed December 2008
Harwich, Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2008

I have stayed here on many occasions as it is cheap and conveniant for events in the area that I go to. Even with the renovation work underway my room was clean and comfortable (as always) and you get a good breakfast which unlike most places doesn't finish early, you also can check out later which is good if you've been clubbing at weekends! I always like staying here. Basic but good, and the beds are always really comfy! Good value all round.

• Liked — location & breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Hotel Makedonia Ltd
Pasha Hotel
#904 of 1,088 in London
The Luxury Inn
#81 of 573 in London

Been to Tommy Miah's Raj Hotel? Share your experiences!