“Home away from home”

Ranked #37 of 843 Specialty Lodging in London
Split, Croatia
“Home away from home”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Thanks to the friendliness of staff (Alex and co), clean rooms and showers and free breakfast - it really felt like home.
Great location of the hostel is also a big plus!
The Walrus hostel is a must in London!!
Don't even hesitate :)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Solist_VL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 8, 2014

I stayed at the Walrus with my friend when we were in London. We stayed in a four bed shared female room with two other girls. I have no complaints. It was very basic but that's all we needed - who spends time sleeping anyways? We were in London to go out!

It was my first experience ever in a shared room and it was fine. The only thing I would say is to get up early and get a spot in line for the bathrooms - there was a little bit of a long wait, but no big deal. The price was definitely right at this hostel. The staff (i forget their names - two guys) were very helpful letting us print off our boarding passes and whatever else we needed to print. The breakfast was basic but good (I had toast and orange juice). The hostel is close to a train station but I never heard a single train sound. It is also close to the metro. I would stay here again if i was travelling to London on a budget.

PS - if you want hotel quality, stay in a hotel! If you want a good hostel on a budget, stay here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Angela B
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Simply put, The Walrus is the absolute best. I traveled to the UK in May with my best friend for a two week trip to explore London. The staff was accomodating before I even got there! They created a special booking for me for such a long stay and upon showing up at 8 in the morning were incredibly warm, welcoming, and carried my stuff up the stairs for me.

During the two weeks The Walrus truly became my home. I felt safe there. The breakfast was great. We would eat in the morning, snack for lunch, and that saved money for dinner! The atmosphere is fun with backpackers coming and going. The room was nice and clean and the bathroom at the end of the hall was private so I would get up early and get it to myself. You do have to remember that you aren't paying for the Marriott, you are sharing a room with other people so be mindful of that. You may not like everyone you have to share a room with. But none of that really bothered me. I would stay here over and over and in fact, I am! I will be back in May again and there is no other place I would rather stay.

If all of that weren't enough, what really sold this place for me is the staff. I can't find enough good things to say about them. Thoughout our stay they were so nice and friendly and anything and everything that I needed, they took care of. To the point of when we missed our flight home, we headed back to the Walrus and they welcomed us, made us dinner, helped us get into contact with our airline to rebook our flight, and then made sure we were on our way and did not miss going home again. I really made some life long friends that I have kept in touch after coming home. They are the lovliest, greatest people. Anyone staying at the Walrus is truly lucky to make their acquaintance!

Bottom line: Stay here. You won't regret it!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lada R
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We were in the 16/18 bed room. Sleep was totally based off who was in the room with you and we did have a group of 4 people who were especially loud. The shower in our room did not work and the bathroom was cold and did not have the facilities to wash your hands properly (which probably doesn't bother most people).
However, the staff is super friendly and helpful. Breakfast is basic but could've been worse. Location was great. Wifi worked well. I would stay again but maybe a private or a smaller room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank kng88
Nice, France
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Was very happy with my stay here, the fact that its so close to the main attractions is great! Only thing for me was that i was staying at the 4th floor, and with my super heavy suitcases (the stairs are pretty narrow as well) it sucks to take them up/down, however michael in the reception helped me take them up (thank you so much), but taking them down myself in the morning wasnt that funny. the staff is great, and either than that i dont really have anything negative to say about this place.

Room Tip: if youre able to choose, dont choose a room on the 4th floor if you have a lot of baggage
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Clean rooms and showers, friendly and helpful staff, great location, free breakfast. What else do you need in a hostel? Maybe a pub arround...and they've got one downstairs!

The Walrus is a must in London!

Cheers!

Room Tip: Maybe you should ask for a 2nd floor room, but just because they don't have elevators.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank mgrz1310
Paris, France
Reviewed January 22, 2014

I stayed with three of my friends in the 16 or 18 bedroom dorm, and I must say that we really enjoyed our stay there. We didn't particularly like some of the people in our room and the number of outlets for charging our phones was about 5 total. But hey, thats what we get for booking the larger room for a cheaper price. The bar downstairs is really cool, staff is super super friendly. I had some vouchers to print for 2 for 1 deals for sightseeing, and once I emailed it to the hostel, they printed multiple copies for me and stapled them together like they were turning in some important homework. My friend needed an outlet convertor but didn't have any more pounds, and the staff let her borrow it in good faith. They had recommendations for us on where to go, what to eat, and they have a great selection of beer for a discount if you are staying at the hostel. The free breakfast saved us loads of money because we would eat and then pack an apple or sandwich for lunch. Breakfast is toast with jams, peanut butter, or whatever toppings you like... plus a few different kinds of cereals, juices, and cookies. We walked to Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, the London Eye, and Buckingham Palace from the hostel, and strategically took the underground everywhere else. I fully recommend staying here!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends