“Great restaurant away from Central London.”
Review of The Greedy Cow

The Greedy Cow
Ranked #968 of 22,552 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: American, Bar, British
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Kids, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: East End / East London
Description: We Defy Definition - Yes, we do burgers, but we aren’t a burger joint. We do steaks, but we aren’t a steakhouse...Fresh - The word that inspired the creation of the Greedy Cow which continues to inspire our food today...We simply aim to bring you the best fresh produce and cook it in the most innovative and flavoursome ways, to deliver you a meal that will fill your stomach without emptying your wallet!...
London, United Kingdom
“Great restaurant away from Central London.”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I've been walking past this restaurant for the past 3 years and today was time I've been in. It is a great little gem in the East End of London offering great food, cosy atmosphere and pleasant service. I ordered the burger this time and will definitely go back to try the steaks.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank dasenp

• Hebrew first
London, England, United Kingdom
“Greedy Cow? More like the Stingy Cow”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

After a day in Central London, my partner and I were lured into the Greedy Cow on its promise of being London's Best Burger. Yet upon arrival, we were 'welcomed' with oversized menus stuffed in our faces and ushered to a faux cow-hide sofa. Distasteful. Against better judgement, we decided to ignore this bad service and we (unfortunately) provided this establishment with custom. We were kept waiting for upwards of 20 minutes in this dark and small room they call the restaurant. The staff were of no comfort either, scuttling about seemingly doing nothing to find us a table.

When we eventually were seated, there was a further ten minute wait for our orders to be taken. We were seated in between two first dates, it would seem. Never have I felt more awkward and uncomfortable. I envisioned due to the definition of 'Greedy' that not only would we be able to indulge in an extensive and adventurous menu but we would be able to do so with a large amount of room. However, it is evident we were mistaken. The name of this restaurant, it would seem, would be in reference to the money-grabbing, overpriced and underwhelming experience the Greedy Cow provides.

My partner ordered the vegetarian burger... Upon ordering, we did not realise that the definition of burger could be extended to a sloppy fried patty of sweetcorn and processed chickpea substitute. He also made the mistake of ordering a side of halloumi, which we saw standing on the hot plate for a good 10 minutes, drying out beyond the point of redemption. Paired with the dry and, presumably, days old bun, this burger (?) proved to be nothing more than a de-humidifier for the mouth. Never in my life have I tasted something so dry.

I did not realise that Mexican cuisine consisted of over-zealous slatherings of sour cream and minimal provision of watery, tasteless salsa. For this is what I received, having ordered the Mexican Burger. If this is Mexican cuisine, Wahaca has gone about it the complete wrong way. The burger itself was thin, soggy and bore little resemblance to the cow orientated décor of the restaurant (which was unsubtle and overpowering). Not only that but with the accompaniment of wedgies I ordered (which were unnecessarily dry and undercooked) came in chipped bowls. So did the salad of the couple sitting next to us. Either this is a style of East London dining I am as of yet unaware of or this establishment needs to hire a new pot-washer or buy some new crockery. These pots seemed to endured both World Wars and had spent the time in between and since in a tumble drier.

There was, however, a redeeming factor of this evening: the home-made lemonade. The lemonade was refreshing, if a little sweet. If you favour good quality lemonade over edible cuisine then this is the place for you.

Warning: if you're an associate student, or even a home student, at the nearby Queen Mary, there is nothing here to write home about.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank FinnbarLove
“Best kept secret restaurant in London!!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend have frequented this place a few times. We try and go every time we are in London!! Worth the journey on the tube. The owner is always there when we go and is always very helpful and welcoming. The food is incredible abd the price is good!!

• Visited April 2013
East London
“Deserving of its rave reviews!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Finally! A restaurant that actually listens when asking how you want your steak cooked. In fact, I'd go as far as to say Greedy Cow's was the best steak I've ever had! My partner who is far more adventurous with his food than I am thoroughly enjoyed his camel burger too. Small venue, so seating a little cramped and sitting arms reach of other diners is usually a no-go for me but the food was so yummy, I'll sacrifice this bugbear to return. Fantastic value for money, decent sized portions, friendly and attentive staff and the desserts are to die for. Great little gem in Mile End that really deserves its rave reviews. Boyfriend reckons the establishment is named after me too!

• Visited February 2013
Lugano, Switzerland
“Pleasant restaurant for meat eaters”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Excellent quality, good service, honest prices. It's not in an area tourists normally go to, but it's worth a visit if you stay in the East End. We had burgers and a fillet and they were tasty and juicy. We had a reservation and everything was easy and smoth. We were given a table close to a birthday party, but that was ok since service was fast enough. The manager came to check whether everything was fine and I always appreciate this.

• Visited March 2013