“A terrible example of Greek food”

Yialousa Greek Taverna
Ranked #5,688 of 23,375 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Greek, Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bloomsbury
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I ate here last year whilst staying in the area on business. We attempted to eat at local/non-chain restaurants during our 5 day stay in London and this was close to my hotel. The food was poor. I went for the moussaka thinking that a Greek restaurant should be able to create a good one every time - it was terrible and just thrown together with whatever ingredients they could put their hands on.

The interior was very scruffy and the waiting staff were not overly polite. At a table nearby, a man was having to have serious words with the manager as things had been added to his bill which he hadn't had, so we were careful to scrutinise our bill.

I would not recommend this to anyone staying in the Russell Square area.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

had a very average meal here. nothing appalling but nothing i would recommend either. service was adequate but a bit disinterested. wouldnt go back

1  Thank Gill M
Reviewed December 8, 2012

This conveniently placed greek cafe is staffed by friendly, attentive people. The food is served in generous portions and is good quality. Presentation is sometimes poor, but if you are looking for a plateful of tasty food at a reasonable price you should not be disapoointed. The meze (£30 for 2) is especially good.

2  Thank JohnanChris
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We decided to try this restaurant only because it was opposite the hotel we were staying in and we were too tired to go further afield!
We were given a lovely welcome and we got the ball rolling by ordering an even lovelier bottle of Syrah!
We ordered greek sausage, grilled halloumi and broccoli soup. I didn't try the soup but apparently it was good and had a little kick. The sausage and halloumi were fine.
For main we had rabbit stifado, moussaka and lamb kleftikos. The stifado was very flavoursome, as was the lamb which melted in the mouth. I didn't try the moussaka but it was polished off and pronounced tasty! The portions were large and were served with beautifully cooked vegetables.
None of us could manage dessert but we did have coffee which was very good.
We left smiling!

2  Thank laura j
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I will start with the best part. The waitress was pleasant and efficient. There is nothing else that I could praise. The starters were the best part of the meze. A few Greek dips scooped from a tub with cold bread.
The main course looked appalling; almost cold and with such an unappealing appearance my wife refused to touch it.We left very quickly without finishing - so did several other people. The owner did not ask anyone if they had enjoyed their meal. Not too surprising really.

2  Thank JMT43