“The Worst Greek Restaurant Ever”

Yialousa Greek Taverna
Ranked #5,647 of 23,391 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Greek, Turkish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bloomsbury
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I will start with the best part. The waitress was pleasant and efficient. There is nothing else that I could praise. The starters were the best part of the meze. A few Greek dips scooped from a tub with cold bread.
The main course looked appalling; almost cold and with such an unappealing appearance my wife refused to touch it.We left very quickly without finishing - so did several other people. The owner did not ask anyone if they had enjoyed their meal. Not too surprising really.

2  Thank JMT43

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I'm rather surprised by the negative reviews here - unless there has been a further change of staff. I ate on a Sunday evening, alone. I was welcomed into the restaurant by two girls who held the door for me, and offered a table in the corner. I found the service attentive; none of the waitresses were Greek, but the kitchen staff are. When I asked for a 5 minute break between courses, I was given it. There were some spiced Greek olives on the table. For a starter I had squid, which came in a tomato sauce and tasted pleasant. For my main course I chose stuffed pepper. This came with a lovely large fresh salad, Greek yoghurt, and tomato sauce. Afterwards I had baklava, which was lovely. The whole meal including half a bottle of house wine was just over £30.

1  Thank Family152
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Looks nice after the refurb. But unfortunately very poor. Chose the meze and very disappointed. Not sure what one of the meats were.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I had dined here on many occasions in the past and found it to be friendly and good value for money. However, it is now under new ownership and bears no resemblence to its former self.
The waitresses were friendly and the food which my wife and our family ordered was satisfactory. My own was of little better than canteen quality, mushy and tastless.
Worse was to come when a man whom I assume to be restaurant manager explained that the bill contained a compulsory 10% 'service charge' which was for the management and not for the waitresses.
I paid the bill and gave our waitress a tip. Frankly, I was sorry for such a friendly young lady working in such a sad place.
We shall never return.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

I was looking for a Greek restaurant. I am vegetarian and Greek salads and cheeses are quite good. so after a beer in London Pub I crossed the street.
food wasn't really good... wine (just a glass) was terrible
a group of six Taiwanese seat in front of my table and I saw a fight between the waitress (trying to sell them expensive food) and the clients ordering a different dish. embarrassing indeed. but the Taiwanese won...
no one Greek inside and almost all waitresses were Italian. one of them seated in the table close to me and she started eating like she did not eat in the past 2 weeks.
bill wasn't friendly at all and when I went out no one told me "goodbye" or "see you next time"!
they knew already I will not come back...