“Charming but disappointing”
Review of Mike's Guesthouse

Mike's Guesthouse
Ranked #262 of 566 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 30, 2012

i really wanted to like this hotel. the aesthetic is great. the art is great. it's next door to st mungos homeless hostel which is refreshingly egalitarian for a boutique hotel. they were really friendly. and they gave us a discount without being asked as we booked the last available room at short notice.

HOWEVER, the website quoted our room (room 5) as having a king size bed. when we called up he said it wasn't king size but queen size - which would have been fine. a chart on the wall in the hotel itself confirmed it was queen size. but the bed turned out to be 50 inches wide - ie 10 inches smaller than queen size and 4 inches smaller than a standard double! it was very comfortable, but way too small for two people. when we let them know we were bluntly assured that it WAS queen size whatever we said.

secondly, after a snug but slightly cramped night's sleep, we opened the window to let some air in. about 2 minutes later the entire window came crashing down out of its frame. it was a huge hefty piece of reinforced steel wood and glass, and would have decapitated me (i'm not exaggerating) if the arm of the day bed hadn't stopped it from falling straight on my head. again, we mentioned it to them and were told we hadn't opened the window correctly, and that they'd jsut passed a health and safety inspection so it wasn't any risk.

finally, their website advertises a large and hearty breakfast. there was indeed a great spread of continental breakfast fare, but it should be mentioned that it was a COLD breakfast.

ended up feeling a bit cheated. this is an EXPENSIVE hotel, and while the decor is genuinely charming, they seem to want you to pay boutique hotel prices but only receive no-frills service - somehow justified by the 'rough' aesthetic they promote.

Room Tip: Get them to measure your bed for you and tell you how wide it actually is - and ask them for a user...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank senorlimpio
Rough_Luxe_Manager, General Manager at Mike's Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Dear Limpio,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.

We always appreciate the time it takes to review our venue and take on board all feedback, with a view to continually improving our product every day.

On this occasion, I am saddened to hear that we did not live up to your expectations and, having read your review, I would like to address some of the issues that you have raised.

Firstly, please allow me to apologise for the incident involving the window in your room. As I explained at the time, there is a mechanism on each of our newly installed windows that allows us to remove the lower portion of the frame for cleaning purposes. The window was not faulty, however I can completely appreciate that having this portion of the window fall inwards, when trying to open it, would be a less than pleasant experience. For this, I apologise unreservedly. Since this incident occurred, we are planning on placing discrete signage in the rooms, or on check-In cards, to highlight how to operate the window mechanism. This will be in force ASAP and, in the meantime, we always double check that the window is fixed in place and verbally remind guests not to loosen the mechanism.

With regards to our breakfast offering, nowhere on our website do we advertise our offer as "large and hearty", so I do not understand what may have given you that impression. You may have garnered this from another source, however we cannot be responsible for the opinions of individual reviewers or third party websites, and they are not representative of the views held by Rough Luxe management. Our breakfast offering is one of our key selling points, and we take pride in the delivery of both the quality of our products and the service style in which they are delivered. We always take on board our guest recommendations and comments where this is concerned, and have developed an offering that is both aesthetically pleasing and nourishing for those with a busy day ahead.

In closing, I would like to say that we will endeavour to use your feedback to improve our services throughout the hotel, however we believe that we do already offer outstanding service and represent good value for money, whilst sticking to our ethos, which is to be a "home from home" for our guests.

Reviewed November 22, 2012

ThIrd stay at wonderful Rough Luxe. Recently changed managers but as always the same terrific vibe.

If you want:
-the antithesis of corporate
- Immaculate cleanliness ( thanks Pedro)
-Going the extra mile (thanks Peter for making my meeting so hospitable and offering
teas, biscuits etc)
-lovely care and helpfulness ( thanks Steve)
-a relaxed, warm, informal temporary home ( thanks all)
- great location ( thanks Kings Cross)

THIS IS IT!

Room Tip: Go for no 8 with the bath tub!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Dear hshotels,

Many thanks for the time you have taken to review your recent stay with us, and for writing such a wonderfully kind comments.

It was an absolute pleasure having you stay with us, and I am delighted to hear that Peter went the extra mile during your meeting in the dining room. Everyone likes a wee biscuit, and it's good to know that he shared them with you.

We do pride ourselves on being slightly out of key with most hotels, in that we take a relaxed and informal approach in our service style and I'm glad we hit all the right notes for you!

I will pass on your kind words to both Pedro and Peter - I am sure they will be as pleased with your review as I am, and I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future.

Warmest wishes,

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Brilliant three nights spent at Rough Luxe - a quirky wee gem hidden in the heart of a bustling city - you need to go wiith an open mind. If you are after fluffy dressing gowns and slippers forget it! If, on the other hand you are after character, charm and a huge dose of the extra-ordinary then this place is for you. Warm welcome from fellow Scots Steven (hence the luxury Scottish products in the bathrooms per chance?) and his team. Amazing spread at breakfast. Loved all the quirky touches. Lunchtime recommendation was spot on! All in all a great few days - real laid back Rough Luxe! Don't want to praise this too much as it might mean it's fully booked when we next venture back! Thanks again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank champgagneguzzler

Dear Champagneguzzler,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us, and apologies for the rather late response! We have been out of action on TripAdvisor for some time, due to a long forgotten password and the daily business of breakfasts and check-Ins, however I am ecstatic to finally be able to thank you.

It was an absolute pleasure having you guys stay with us, and although I didn't spend as much time with you as I'd hoped, I'm glad I had the chance to at least wave you off on your journey back to Scotland.

Speaking of Scotland, I am so pleased to hear that you like our luxury bath and shower products and, as you rightly pointed out, they do indeed come all the way from the beautiful Isle of Arran.

I do hope that you will be able to vist us (and London!) again very soon, and hopefully next time I can give you a proper guided tour of the house and show you some of the artwork, along with a brief synopsis on each piece.

Until then, from the team here at Rough Luxe, best wishes to you all, in the Highlands of Bonnie Scotland.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stay in hotels 200+ days/year and while I appreciate the luxury and predictability of large chain hotels, I fell in love with this place the minute I walked in the door. While the decor is most definitely not to everyone's taste, it's certainly stylish, quirky and really thought through. The beds were DIVINE, the linens expensive, the towels like soft, fresh clouds and the toiltetries local and luxurious. The breakfast was superb; it all felt like I was staying with my hipster, comfort-conscious best friends in London. While the area is still rough, the transit links are superb -- and you're close to the action in Shoreditch/Islington. A tip - the rooms were originally set for one bath shared for every 2 rooms. So, there are 2 rooms clustered around a bath. They now rent the entire 2 bedroom/1 bath cluster. So, I arrived and found myself with a huge room and a side room - both with the most amazing queen-sized beds. I ended up luring a friend across from the States to fill the second room; keep this in mind when booking -- they will also at times rent just a room with a bath, so if you don't want the extra room (which could be used as a sitting room, as well), then make that request with the hotel at time of booking. I love this place!

Room Tip: no a/c, so beware of high-floor rooms particularly in the summer
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Rough_Luxe_Manager, Manager at Mike's Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to write your very kind review. I am delighted to hear such wonderfully positive feedback, both about the charm and character of the hotel and of the service you received during your stay.

I recall your visit clearly, and it was an absolute pleasure having you and your family stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast spread , and the eggs if i remember.

It is always a pleasure to know that our very quirky and unique hotel concept has been fully appreciated by you and I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Kind Regards

Peter Grima

Rough Luxe Hotel.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

I may understand that it may not be unanimously shared by other customers but I really enjoyed the peculiar character of this place and I appreciated the warm welcome and the kind attention during our stay. If you arrive with the Eurostar, I warmly suggest to book here as you just need to cross the street without suffering the noise or the chaotic life which usually surrounds the railway stations. The rooms are small but very charming. I stayed there with my mother and my nephew and you cannot imagine how difficult it is to find an hotel in London offering a room for three persons with full comfort for sleeping. It is either an extra bed which is not very comfortable or two separate rooms. Here I was proposed two communicating rooms sharing the bathroom and it is was very practical. If you were not scared by climbing the stairs - no lift, as my Mum was complaining, thus adoring the place and the charming tenants - you were rewarded by a nice and romantic view of the old station and the London roofs from your bed. Nice and clean bathroom, I adored the lavender shampoo and the ginger and bergamot body lotion. The breakfast is simply perfect, very good products and you feel treated as somebody staying in the house, not as a simple customer passing by.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cmala
Rough_Luxe_Manager, General Manager at Mike's Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Dear cmala,

I recall your visit clearly, and it was an absolute pleasure having you and your family stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed the breakfast spread and hope enjoying the lovely weather we experienced.

It is always a pleasure to know that our very quirky and unique hotel concept has been fully appreciated by our guests and I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel at some point in the future.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

Really really nice hotel. A few adorable room. Difficult to describe them, the best is to see the pictures on the website as the concept is unique.
The owners are very helpful, you feel like at home, a heaven in that crazy city.
A small but great terrace outside to enjoy a tasty breakfast.
The hotel is just in front of St Pancras (but in a quiet street), a few steps from the Eurostar.
Free and good wifi.
Note that there is no TV, no lift, the hotel room are quite small. So if you are looking for a hotel with kind of Hilton services and without charm, it is not for you; if you are looking for stylish and lovely boutique hotel with great service: book at the Rough!

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Jacqvan,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review of your stay at Rough Luxe. We are truly thankful for your kind words and so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us.

As you pointed out, London can be quite a crazy city, and so we're glad you found our lovely hotel to be an oasis of calm during your stay.

I am so pleased to know that you truly appreciated the concept of Rough Luxe; the quality of service we strive to deliver and the overall experience of our charming property.

I do hope that we can someday welcome you back from Geneva to make even more wonderful memories of Rough Luxe and of London.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

From the moment Leo Checked us in we knew we were going to have a great stay. He is so personable and made us feel right at home which was lovely because we were both dog tired and my husband was sick. He knew we had taken the overnight flight and basically said- whenever you get up let me know and I will set out your breakfast for you. This seems like a small thing, but it was so nice to to have to worry about being up a certain time when you are trying to recover from jet lag.

The hotel is just gorgeous and though the rooms are cozy we had enough room to be comfortable and the set up and design just gave me a happy feeling. The bed was very comfortable & I loved that the window opened overlooking a quiet alley covered in green and some gorgeous rooftops that were lovely to look over at night.

We were both enamored with the breakfast spread. I absolutely loved the yogurts set out in the glass bottles. I just can't get yogurt like that anywhere in the states. The croissants, toasts, butters, jams, and honey were all divine. Every morning we looked forward to breakfast- which is normal for me, but for my husband it was quite out of character and I loved watching him get excited over the selection of juices, teas, and toasts. We ate in both the indoor dining room which was really beautiful, but I loved eating outside at the back of the hotel the most.

Wether giving us restaurant recommendations or a museum pass out of his own wallet Leo was an absolutely perfect host and I hope we get to stay with him on our next trip to London!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are uniquely designed - you can check out all of them on the hotel website and requ...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Rough_Luxe_Manager, General Manager at Mike's Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Dear Whirlsofcurls,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your very kind review. I am delighted to hear such wonderfully positive feedback, both about our lovely and rather scrumptious breakfast spread and about your host, Leo.