“Hmmmm....”
Review of Mike's Guesthouse

Mike's Guesthouse
Ranked #262 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I must start by saying that I realise I didn't "get" the Rough Luxe.

Upon reflection, it was as it said it was, but wasn't what I expected
I decided to stay there last Sunday evening, on Dee's birthday, as a special treat on our way back from an overnight in Paris.

The plus side: Brilliant Welcome (Antonio lives on the premises, and is a delightful man, who manages to be caring and attentive without being smarmy...a difficult trick to carry off. From first introduction, for example he knew, and used, our first names, although even this may not be to everyone's taste)
The bed was probaby the most comfortable Hotel bed i have ever slept in, and I consequently had a brilliant night's sleep
Hand made toiletries were a nice touch
Breakfast was generous, with lots of choice and much enjoyed.

On the negative: "shabby chic" to me is not meant to resemble someone in the middle of decorating. The public areas just look as if they have got as far as stripping the paint and wallpaper and left it at that.
The rooms are small, which is fine, given the limitations of the Grade 2 building, but 2 bedrooms which anyway share a bathroom is not a "suite", or even a mini suite. We had rooms 9 and 10, on the top floor, but we never did get a key to open 10, so had to jam the door with beer mats so we could get at our stuff!!
The contrast between shabby and breathtaking luxury (the bathroom, presumably) was undermined by the fact that the "luxury" wasn't very well executed, with loose plumbing fittings, and poor tiling.
I think the "world famous designer" was trying for an idea which just didn't come off .
The place is too self conciously quirky, and tries too hard to be different for my taste
At the price, i could have had a room at the Hotel Russell, and some change, which is, I think, what i would do in future
Mark Chamberlain, Preston

Room Tip: Don't bother with a "suite" !!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Volante1
There are newer reviews for Mike's Guesthouse

Reviewed October 17, 2011

The good: the staff are exceptional.

They act as if the hotel belongs to them and they opened last week, trying to delight. It works.

How often does someone randomly ask you if you want coffee brought up to your room, for no charge? A very nice touch.

The rooms are funky, they took what must have been an unwieldy building for a hotel and make it work.

The breakfast is amazing, one of the best I've ever had in a hotel. (fresh-squeezed orange/ginger/carrot juice anyone?). Loved it.

Great location, fairly quiet/well isolated although I recommend earplugs for the incessant sirens.

The less good: The room was tiny, like Japanes tiny.

It was ok for us, because we're a young couple and wanted to be together, but otherwise it might not be convenient.

Breakfast at a big table, forcing interaction among guests, is not everyone's cup of tea...

It is kind of expensive. But I would stay there again, and would recommend it to couples especially.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2011

First of all I’d like to say that I haven’t stayed at the hotel myself but my dad did when here visiting me, and considering that he is not such a technologic person, I have decided to put a review myself!

I am stunned by this hotel! I have always been travelling on a budget and mainly in hostels and I am not used to such luxurious places, yet this hotel is absolutely AMAZING!! From the design to the furniture to the breakfast and to Mr Antonio, a Spanish nice old chap wearing colourful suspenders!

Breakfast is the best thing on earth (yes, they did let me have breakfast there), the basil bread is absolutely amazing and they have some kind of “orange - carrot - don’t know what” juice that is delicious!! And the croissant! Oh oh oh!! Just yummi!!!

Rooms are tiny, but let’s be honest! It is an historical house converted in amazing hotel, and if you are not picky or a Paris Hilton kind of person, who cares about the size of the room? At the end of the day you are not spending your day inside!

I have also asked to have a look around in the empty rooms and I have seen the best, most amazing copper bathtub! U know, those with the lion’s feet? Wow!!!!

And obviously thanks again to Mr Antonio for all his help and looking after my dad and open me the hotel door every 5 minutes and Pedrooooo for smiling at all times!!

So...if u can afford it, GO FOR IT!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Marie C
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Let's just start off with the fact that my wife and I were at the end of our 3 week stay in the UK and Ireland and were ready to go home...so anything short of our own house was going to be a letdown. As others have stated, this hotel is for a certain type of traveler...and my wife and I are NOT that demographic.
We found that the hotel is more like a guesthouse. You'lI need a set of keys to enter at all times, and if you're on the third floor, expect a very narrow and steep winding set of stairs. If you have heavy luggage, it will be a bit of a struggle.
The street the hotel is located on had a couple of men and women who were out front shouting and drinking from bottles right next to the entrance until it got too dark every night. Also, since there is no air conditioning, you'll want your windows open so you may hear them in your room as well.
The bathroom had a shower, which was fine, but it was very dark and narrow. Also didn't get the "tv" hanging on the wall in the room. It didn't work and if it did, it was black and white. The wireless internet did exist, but not all the time and it was very slow.
The staff was very friendly and helpful and I don't have anything but thanks for them. They were so nice, it makes it hard to tell the truth on this review, but honestly, we just did not care for this hotel or location.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ckgosch
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Small rooms but very comfy beds and quiet for area. Run by charming leo who was very helpful and hospitable .Lovely breakfast in courtyard very continental.
This would not be everyones cup of tea very shabby chic but individual and fun.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angelina688
Reviewed July 14, 2011

When I told my snobby English cousin that I was staying at the Rough Luxe his response was: "Boutique hotels are just an excuse to overcharge you for small, shabby rooms with no service." Well, cuz, you're right and wrong. The Rough Luxe's rooms are small, but they're shabby chic, and although you won't get the kind of service you can expect in a full-size hotel the staff are very sweet and accommodating.

The property is an old, converted small hotel done in a quirky, artsy style. There's no lift, so beware if you have heavy luggage, and there's no air con, although the rooms are provided with Dyson fans. There's free wifi and a great breakfast. The location is very convenient to transportation, just across the street from the King's Cross and St. Pancras stations. It's not a terribly glamorous hood, but there are a handful of restaurants and bars in the side streets that seem to be leading a vanguard of artsy gentrification.

All in all, it's a good choice if you're 1) looking for something reasonably inexpensive in London (which is always hard) that isn't a hostel or a lower-end chain and 2) you think you'd appreciate its offbeat charm.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We loved this hotel for our 3 night stay. It is unique, a little differrent, cute , fun etc. The location is excellent, with train, bus and Tube stations a few steps away. We are failry experienced travelers, and had a great time. The breakfast served anytime is great if you like European style breakfast, with breads , cheese jams, etc.
The small staff is very friendly, the garden cute.
The baths were excellent and roomy. The "beds" are unique oversized sofas that sleep like a bed. The rooms are small, but functional. If you need a Marrriott don't stay here.
There is no elevator.
There are several local pubs and eateries that we enjoyed.

Room Tip: All the rooms are different so ask before you book.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple