Tripadvisor
London
Post
Inbox
Search

“Bit quiet midweek evening.”

The Green Parrot Bar
Order Online
Ranked #14,667 of 28,985 Restaurants in London
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Bit quiet midweek evening. Nothing to set the world alight. Functional averagely priced. No better than the handful of pubs so close by.

Date of visit: January 2020
1  Thank Jannerbloke
Write a reviewReviews (10)

Reviewed August 3, 2019 via mobile

Visiting the restaurant for the first time, we went for breakfast - sort of.

We arrived and there were around 10 customers. Waited 10 minutes for a menu. Other customers were complaining about the food whilst we waited.

The initial waittess was very polite and apologetic and told us after half an hour that that there would be delay. After another 15 minutes another, much more abrasive waitress came out, advised us the delay was because "the chef can't cook" and that she was telling us so we didn't complain at her daughter, the younger waitress.

She offered no apology whatsoever and was dismissive, telling us the food would be two minutes more. After 10 minutes we left without food. Can't tell you anything about the food because they couldn't deliver two breakfasts after over an hour.

Ordered an Americano which was actually a filter. Again as we left - no apology and completely dismissive attitude from the second waitress.

I'm a local resident and will always try to support small local businesses offering quality service and food - this is neither.

There are so many better options. Try nearby Cafe Provencal instead for reliable service and a good breakfast..

Date of visit: August 2019
2  Thank LukeGodber
Reviewed May 31, 2019 via mobile

TL:DR Not great. Not very authentic. Owner needs way more support. Go to Siam Niyom in Tulse Hill.

Long version

The man outside ( partner of the owner) who said don’t worry if you don’t like the food you don’t need to pay couldn’t have been more prescient.

The hostess was very friendly but we probably should have known all wasn’t well when the table opposite had to get up and ask for plates and rice as their dinner had been sitting in their table so long it was getting cold.

We both ordered the same style mains. Pad kra pao. Essentially holy basil and chilli. One tofu, one pork.

Food arrived. Sadly no basil or chilli in either dish. When we asked why not, our host checked with the kitchen and discovered they’d run out of both but sent out the dishes anyway. Ok. They were very apologetic. Asked for Nam Prik Pao. Didn’t know what that was out front but chef knocked some up with salted chillies.

It’s fine to run out of things. It’s fine for communications between kitchen and front of house to break down on occasion but it’s not fine for the owner not to recognise when a dish is leaving the pass missing it’s two defining ingredients.

Toilet seat is wonky. Taps need tightening. Dirty tea towel on the sideboard behind us. We should all support family businesses but this one needs a rethink. To be fair they didn’t charge us and I wasn’t sure about writing a review until I heard “there’s always one” as our plates were cleared having said it hadn’t gone well.

It hadn’t. And on this showing it won’t. Avoid.

Date of visit: May 2019
1  Thank asifby
Reviewed April 7, 2019

Have been past this place loads of times but tempted to go in by the recent good reviews. It wasn't a disappointment. Decor fairly basic, but attentive service was spot on. And food even better. Good value as well, including the wine (fairly limited choice, but fine). Whatever else you order it's worth getting the papaya salad too as a side (or starter) - lovely fiery citrus taste. I'd thoroughly recommend to anyone in the Herne Hill area. And as word gets round, definitely worth booking in advance

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed April 3, 2019

I should have paid attention to my nose, but the warm welcome overrode the unpleasant stale smell and inside the restaurant looked sparkling. Lovely to be greeted with an ice cold bottle of tap water without having to ask too.
Fish cake starters were OK but unexceptional. My prawn tom yum soup (3 prawns) was a starter size with a tasty broth, but the mushrooms had definitely seen better days. White button mushrooms become speckled with brown with age & a couple of them were not only brown but on the verge of slimy... Also, not such a big issue perhaps, I'm not crazy about melamine spoons...
OK, maybe the mains will be worthy of the great reviews we'd read?
Sadly, it all went downhill. The tofu stir fry struggled under a good inch of oil. We asked for it to be drained and they were good enough to cook another bowl from scratch to go with the sticky rice.(which was fine!). But my prawn salad had been forgotten so I sat staring at an empty plate while my companion began tucking into his replacement stir fry.
When it did arrive the salad looked great. Plenty of prawns, a lot of red onion and other veg nesting in a nest of lettuce leaves. I was happily munching away until I noticed a couple of prawns had a strange texture... most of them, I then discovered were pink one side & translucent blue the other. That did it I’m afraid. We asked for the bill - and they were gracious enough not to charge for the uneaten mains.
All in all it was a massive disappointment.
I’ve never ever walked out of a restaurant, and I’ve never written a bad review before. I am very sorry to be so negative but I think diners need to be aware our experience was far from 5*.
Was it just an off day? I’m afraid I won’t be going back to find out.

Date of visit: March 2019