“A perfect city weekend”

Ranked #48 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Yorkshire
“A perfect city weekend”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This is my second stay at an Apex hotel and I was not disappointed. I had one night booked as a birthday treat and I was delighted to get a free upgrade . My room was big and very comfortable with everything I could need . The service at the reception , the bar and breakfast was excellent . The location is great as its near the tube and the river but down a back street so feels like a bolt hole and if it wasn't for the refurbishment work on the building next door it would of been lovely and quiet . I had an early start so it wasn't a problem for me but if you are wanting a lie in best check the work next door is finished as it starts early even on a Sunday ! The hotel itself was great and I shall be booking at an Apex again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed recently for one night on a DBB special offer.

Pros ;
Room.Paid £20 extra for superior room with balcony.Worth every penny.Extra [?] King Size bed.Fantastic bathroom with walk in shower and DEEP bath for soaking after a long day in London.No bath salts though.Sit outside and enjoy a drink.Smoke if you wish to.Mini sprays for face and pillow provided along with eye gel.Housekeeper asked if we required a turn-down service.

Breakfast ; Usual superb breakfast from Apex.Choice of Continental or Full British included in price.
Service ; 5* service from all staff.Typical,in our experience,of all Apex hotels.

Cons ;
Coffee in room.The coffee in a filter bag is awkward to open and use.The result is not worth the effort.Poured ours down the sink.Nespresso machine would be more in keeping with the standard of room and Apex standards in general.

Dinner ; Sorry Apex.This is the third time we've dined at Apex [including City and Temple] and we haven't been able to finish a meal yet.
I realise it is difficult to offer a menu to please an international clientele both in choice and quality.Maybe it's time to concentrate on one type of cuisine e.g.Best of British or similar.
The design and flavour of the meals we've had would not encourage casual visitors who are not staying in the hotel and does nothing to dispel the old adage ' never eat in your hotel '.Hence the overall mark of 4*

Would stay again for sure due to the many positives.But we would go out in the evening to eat,reluctantly.

Room Tip: Ask for room with balcony.Floor to ceiling windows give lots of light.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SimonDavisJunior, General Manager at Apex London Wall Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear JamesR,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to London. I was delighted that you enjoyed the quality of our contemporary deluxe room product featuring their own private balcony (which i would definitely recommend reserving again should you look at re visiting during the summer), along with the high standards of guest service we work tirelessly to achieve.

It was pleasing to note that through booking directly you managed to take advantage of our Dinner bed and breakfast package which we feel offers fantastic value for money. Thank you for your comments regarding our dinner options and please be assured that we will certainly take your comments into consideration when writing our future seasonal menu options.

I am also happy to say that we will shortly be introducing Nespresso machines for all our Deluxe and Junior Suite room categories affording our customers more variety for their in room tea and coffee options.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon and do remember when booking to visit our direct website for our best rates and package deals.

Yours sincerely,

Simon Davis
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 27, 2013

From the moment we stepped through the door the staff could not have been more helpful, helping us with our luggage, upgrading our room and offering us advice about the surrounding area.
Then we arrived at our room, fabulous. Spacious, clean and a wonderful bathroom.

The breakfast next day was delicious and once again the service was great.

Only reason why the hotel didn't get an excellent is that my account was debitted and I was not alerted as to why. Phoning them tomorrow.

Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

A great base in the city. Very comfortable superior double room, excellent service, attentive staff, quiet, clean stylish hotel. Excellent cocktail bar, but quiet on a Sunday eve.

Only criticisms: 1. Faulty safe. Locking mechanism didn't work and staff were unable to fix it whilst I was staying. Management did offer me use of the safe in reception as an alternative. 2. Couldn't get Bose iPod dock to work. As no technicicians available, gave up and played music on iPad instead!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank BethSUK
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

A very stylish hotel with a lively bar and very nice restaurant. We had a free upgrade to a room with a bath as well as a shower - we used both and they were excellent. The room was smart, stylish and spotless, and while not huge was certainly spacious enough. The 40 inch TV had numerous channels including Sky sports 1 and Sky 1. All the staff we had dealings with were helpful and courteous.
Downside is that everything has a 12.5% "Service Charge" added - including drinks I purchased myself from the bar. They also leave space to add a further gratuity as well on the receipt. Unless you argue with it each time, it is mandatory and I wish they would just include it in the stated price. Weekend visitors should know that virtually all the nearby shops and coffee houses seem to close all weekend - presumably because they get most of their trade from the large city businesses during the week. All in all though we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and were very tempted to extend it by an extra night (only the appalling weather stopped us). We would certainly stay there again.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Great hotel, very friendly staff. Good food, nice room and at the weekend, a very peaceful location.The hotel is about 15 minutes from the West end, by tube. Its a 5 minute walk, to 3 tube stations. Because its so quiet in the City, at the weekends, there were no people, sirens or traffic noises. The sound proofing in the rooms, was very good too...no loud loo flushing, or door banging, from other guests. I will be going back.

Becky

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Apex

I've been in both Apex London Wall and Temple Court on the same weekend (I like to experiment), so I'll put the same review on both hotels.

The room in the first one was a lot better, without an hesitation (in the first, the room was exceptional, in the second, it was nice also, but smaller and more worn out).

I booked both of them on the Apex web site, which gives you a £10 voucher for each stay, assuming I'll be using it for the breakfast. Bad luck, they are valid for any food or drink, BUT the breakfast

So, I tried cocktails, but the choice was limited by the lack of available ingredients (believe that or not, in both places, they were missing lime, and in one of them, even crushed ice). In the Temple Court I finally opted for a very good ciabatta sandwich.

In the London Wall, I was woken (relatively) early by roadworks right under my window, and as a compensation, I've been offered the breakfast (excellent, by the way).

Depending on your interests, both are very well situated, that's only a matter of choice.

• Stayed January 2013