“Nice Views but Terrible, Overpriced Food. Worst Steak in London!”

Rotunda Bar and Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Rotunda Bar and Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3,785 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Euston / Kings Cross /St Pancras
Description: The Rotunda ethos isn't complicated - great food and a great atmosphere.While our guests go some of the way in ensuring the latter, our canal-side location means we provide the perfect environment in which to relax and enjoy yourself over a hearty meal and a healthy dose of one of our many wines.While here, you'll browse a menu that changes daily and features mouth-watering meat cuts from our own farm in Northumberland.Rotunda - old fashioned about food.
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I ordered the most expensive steak on the menu and it was tough and tasteless. One of the worst steaks I have had in London. I then ordered Rhubarb Crumble for desert and asked for it without custard as I cannot eat anything with milk in it. They told me it could not be made without because the deserts are pre-made! Pre-made with custard! They then came back and said they could make it without but when it arrived it was only a Rhubarb Jelly with no crumble and far too sweet. I asked them where the crumble was and they said I could not have it with the crumble because of the custard on it. So they had just scraped it off. Terrible for £6. They should have said this before they brought it out.

On top of that, my friend had part of a paper cake wrapper inside his desert. Oh, and they charged for a medium glass of wine when we ordered small then took 10 minutes for 3 of them to debate it when I questioned the charge. On the positive side, it is in a lovely location with nice views of the waterways. However, the food was terrible and overpriced.

On top of that, my friend had part of a paper cake wrapper inside his desert. Oh, and they charged for a medium glass of wine when we ordered small then took 10 minutes for 3 of them to debate it when I questioned the charge. Nice location but terrible food.

1  Thank ukmagicman
GreenandFortune, General Manager at Rotunda Bar and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Dear customer,

I firstly would like to apologise for your recent visit at the Rotunda. We do pride ourselves on having our own farm so regarding the comment on your rump steak, it is something that we as a company are working hard to get to the bottom of. We think that it may be a bad rump.

We take great care along with our farmer to do our best by producing beef that no one else can match, but on this occasion we have fallen short on the standard that we have set ourselves.

I can also assure you our desserts are not pre-made but all made on site. Our crumble is made with butter and that is the only reason why it wasn’t possible to have it with the rhubarb. I do agree you should have been warned when your order was taken.

It is hard to comprehend where the wrapping paper came from as we are not using any for our desserts.

I can only apologise for what seemed to be an easy thing to fix when it came to your glass of wine which I can only imagine it didn’t help your dining experience.

I would love to see you back at the Rotunda, to demonstrate we are not only a “nice view venue” but a lot more than that. On your next visit I would also love to show you around our hanging room to give you an idea how proud we are of our steaks.

I hope to see you soon.

Cedric
Retail Manager

Reviewed May 3, 2013

A great location with lots of potential that sadly does not live up to it. t looks as though it should have table service but you have to go to the bar. They had some outside tables that you were not allowed to use unless you were eating - virtually all of them empty. We did sit down at a table (about 5.30) and ordered some tapas (eventually - the first menu had no food in it and no wine list). The table wasn't properly set up either. The food was okay but nothing great. We then ordered another glass of wine only to be told that the manager had said we couldn't order from the table but had to go to the bar, even though we had ordered the rest from our table. We asked to see the manager and the waiter disappeared but no manager appeared. Eventually another waiter appeared and took our order. The food was okay but nothing special.

The staff didn't seem too interested in the customers the manager was invisible, apart from apparently banning staff from taking orders.

Hi there,

Having recently joined the Green and Fortune team, I would like to personally apologise for your bad experience at the Rotunda restaurant. The team has now been briefed to use flexibility or to seek a manager in circumstances such as this one.

We are in the process of changing the bar menu to a simpler back and front menu to avoid such incident to happen again and it will also invite customers to order at the bar.

I have also made all staff members aware of how to anticipate customers’ needs, request and to also communicate to the management team a lot more. A managers was present on the night but was unfortunately never made aware of your request to see him.

I really appreciate customers’ feedback, good or bad as it can only benefit our customers and us on the long run. There was an opportunity on the night to make it up to you and unfortunately we failed on some basic levels and I do apologise for that.

I’m really looking forward to meeting you soon and I hope you can give us a second chance.

Warm regards,
Cedric Chervet-
Retail Manager

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We can walk here from where we live, and the first really sunny day of the spring arrived today, so that's what we did, had lunch up here at Rotunda.
There are tables outside on a terrace that overlooks the Canal, and the wildlife is very pretty, as are the barges. However the entire terrace is in the shade, due to the immensity of the building the restaurant is housed in, therefore it was really too cold to sit out! We tried, oh we tried, but eventually we had to come in. In hot summer (don't laugh, we do get hot days) this cool shade would be a welcome relief.
The draught beer was "off" as they say, so I had a bottled Moretti and my husband had a Hercules Lager, from an independent brewery.
There is a restaurant menu, and a bar menu. The meat is the big thing here. We went for the bar menu. It looked as though you can have small plates to share, also there are sandwiches, but my husband went for a beef and marrow burger, and I opted for the pulled pork in a brioche bun. Except I didn't get a brioche bun, just a burger bun, but that was OK. The burger was top quality the pulled pork very good, but served with crisps, which I thought bizarre- a little.
Well, we don't normally go for dessert, but when I saw Eton Mess, I just had to go for it! It was a real surprise, lots of fun, the meringue came up looking like a mushroom......
The service is good, the place is a popular choice because of its location, and there are lots of workers there as the building houses, amongst other things, The Guardian offices, a concert hall, art galleries, it is a buzzing place. Long ago it was a waste land and I remember that you walked up Goods Way with fear and apprehension. Or you didn't walk up Goods Way at all! It was a forgotten desolate place, and it has been transformed, so hooray for progress! I recommend Rotunda as a relaxed lunch venue.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Ate here the night we arrived in London, on concierge's recommendation. I had very well prepared Dover sole. It would have been better if the server had filleted the fish before I started to eat, but the taste was great. A bit noisy (but it is a bar/restaurant, so somewhat to be expected). We'd go back.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We ate in Rotunda at Kings Place between concerts on a Sunday. The restaurant is light and contemporary and has a pleasant outlook on to the canal. Our roast beef was of excellent quality, as were the roasties and came with a reasonable selection of vegetables. Staff were well trained and courteous. The price is comparable with similar restaurants and on this occasion the quality exceeded the competition.