“Unpleasant experience”

Ranked #613 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Copenhagen
“Unpleasant experience”
Reviewed February 14, 2010

I stayed at the Boundary for 8 nights recently. What could have been a nice stay turned out rather unpleasant.

The room was clean and big. Personnel generally nice and helpful except for one dragon lady in the cafe downstairs (Albion) who was often in a bad mood and was basically trowing items on the counter. The Boundary restaurant was a delight, I had dinner there twice and both the food and service were excellent indeed.

The bad points: the location is not very central, one has to walk 10 mins to Liverpool St tube and the surroundings are not very nice, many old run down buildings. I was on the 2nd floor and you could hear folks sometimes yelling on the street. There were some stains on the carpet of both rooms I stayed in. The first room I got didn't have a seat cover. I looked at it and was just flabbergasted. How can such a place let guests occupy a room in such a condition, I checked in very late so asked reception the next morning to have it fixed. When I returned late in the afternoon, nothing had been done, I called again and someone came to look at it and explained I could either wait to have it fixed or change rooms, I changed rooms. They offered me a complimentary bottle of wine and things were going up from there. However upon check out, the transaction was denied because apparently they'd charged me the whole amount when I checked in without explaining it to me. I use a debit card and had sufficient funds for my stay so I was rather annoyed, I had to call my bank abroad that explained that it'd already been charged.

I would definitely look for a different place when I return to London.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
4 Thank GammelMont
Michael R, General Manager at Boundary Rooms & Suites, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you for taking time to review Boundary, your feedback is valuable and most welcome. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Korean first
pop68
Reviewed October 12, 2009

We had a great stay at the Boundary ! The ( Eames ) room was beautiful and very big.
There was an extra bed placed in the room for our son, and still enough place to run around.
The service was excellent. The staff was very friendly. Every night when we came back from dinner there was a box with a foodsurprise placed in our room and the beds were opened, ready to go to sleep.
We enjoyed every little detail from the hotel. From the walls in the lift, to the books in the room, and the toilets in the restaurant. Also the rooftop is super ! No problem to go there by lift.
The hotel is situated in an upcoming neighbourhood with lots of little
shops and great restaurants.
It was a big big pleasure to be here !

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
London
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I adored the Boundary! Yes the lobby is small as per the previous review but they they call themselves "Boundary Rooms" and are not trying to be a big, corporate style hotel with a huge impressive lobby. To me it's the quality of the rooms and service that is important. Our room on the first floor was light and airy with 2 big windows looking out on to Boundary St. The bathroom was gorgeous and I took full advantage of the Ren bath products and fluffy robes. We ate breakfast twice at the Cafe on the ground floor, on the first day the service was a bit haphazard but no complaints on the second day. The food was suprisingly cheap and very good quality. We went up to the roof terrace for an early evening drink (we walked up the stairs from our room, so i'm not sure why the previous reviewer said they had to get permission?). This is a fantastic space with lovely fires and heaters to keep you warm, the wool blankets are a nice touch. Whilst not cheap, it was well worth it for the great views and general ambience. I'll definately make this my regular hotel in London now and i've stayed in the best. The staff are down to earth and genuine and the Spanish manager is sooo lovely! A super stylish place!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
Reviewed October 7, 2009

Of course, the design furniture (mainly Arne Jacobsen in the Scandinavian Room) is beautiful, rooms are rather big, with huge windows on the street but when you pay 220 British Pounds (250 Euros) per night, you have the right to expect the best, right? First, the main lobby is awful: tiny and dark, not welcoming at all. On the second floor, where rooms are located (third floor is for suites), the lobby was cold and smelled of food (there is one restaurant on the ground floor, and another one in the basement). Our room was nice, very bright, but not perfect. The bathroom was very dark (shaving was a challenge with so little light) and faucets and taps were loosely attached (yes, indeed!). Talking about fixing, one of the two window curtains was fixed the wrong way around, which means that light passes through in the early morning… (odd to have this kind of problem when you are staying in a Terence Conran Hotel)

One or two other things that we found truly annoying: at 7.50 (not 5) a.m. on Sunday morning, we were told that the Albion restaurant was not open for breakfast! We had to go outside to get some coffee! Another thing: you cannot go directly to the rooftop bar when you are staying in the hotel. You have to go to the ground floor and ask the “concierge” for permission to take the elevator to the rooftop! Last thing, which I cannot understand, they made us pay 1 pound every morning to have the Independent (or any local newspapers) delivered to our room! Again for 220 BP, this is really penny-pinching, don’t you think?

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple