“Imaginative menu did not disappoint”

Hix Oyster & Chop House
Reserve with OpenTable
Hix Oyster & Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,814 of 24,439 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, British
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Clerkenwell
Description: HIX Oyster & Chop House is situated a stones throw from Smithfield Market, London’s historic meat market. Originally a sausage factory and then a fish restaurant, many of its original features remain. The wooden floors, marble oyster bar, tiled walls and linen tablecloths go towards creating an elegant yet unfussy dining room. The menu reflects Mark Hix’s signature British style with seasonal and daily changing dishes featuring oysters from around the British Isles, and a selection of meats and steaks on the bone.
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is a smart but relaxed upmarket restaurant with an atypical menu. The cooking was excellent and the service discretely attentive. I had a very enjoyable Sunday dinner with friends and look forward to going back. Do check out the address carefully before you set out as it is not easy to find the little street where this restaurant lurks.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have been wanting to eat here for a long time but what a disappointment. The bad vibes began shortly after we arrived when it took a long time to even be asked what we would like to drink, let alone have one. (good job we had a pint in a nearby pub beforehand!)
My wife's fish could have been anything...tasteless! My meat was covered in a strong barbecue sauce which made it difficult to separate the real meat from the fat and gristle; what I did find was not a lot.
Hix seemed to be catering for business people on expenses who perhaps are not so fussed about how good the food is (I know I've been there). My budget is not unlimited but I know what is good food, so these occasions all need to count. It's expensive here but that's O.K. if it's good; sadly, it was not.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

The place was busy for a week night. Couldn't get a table so we sat at the bar. Service was a bit slow mainly because the bar staff were busy making drinks/cocktails rather than trying to deal with food orders. Had the burger which was nice and the chips were average to be honest. The place itself was nice but overall it was an expensive eating experience with little atmosphere, probably due to where we sat.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Popped into Hix Oyster and Chophouse for Sunday Lunch with family and I couldn't fault it. The quality of the food was outstanding, it is easily the best Sunday lunch I have had in a restaurant.

We began with the sharing starters, the whipped beetroot and goats curd were the standout dish in the selection. Moving on to the main event the roast chicken and roast sirloin of beef were great. The whole chicken for 2, comes inverted on a sliver platter with its legs in the air, the waiter carved it for us and left us to tuck in. The chicken was served with some sautéed chicken livers which added a unique and unusual dimension which personally enjoyed but may not be to everybody's taste. Despite a bulging waistline I managed to tuck into a spotted dick and custard which was the perfect end to my lunch.

The service was personable and efficient, just the right level of attention. My only criticism would be that it wasn't very busy so the atmosphere was a little lacking. Given the standard of the cooking I would highly recommend that people head out on a Sunday and give Hix a try.

Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Went on valentines day didn't have a booking but luckily they had 2 places at the bar to eat at . Was glad we was sat at the bar as we were the centre of the atmosphere . My wife chose a steak of the board that they bought out and explained every cut which was impressive . I'm a sucker for a good pie so chose the shin of beef slow cooked pie . This is the best pie I've ever tasted , perfect crispy pastry and slow cooked shin of beef that melted in the mouth incredible . Would definitely come back again . Only down side was the price of the beers on draught I had Sam smiths which I thought was expensive £8 a pint .