Charlies Hotel
$288
$279
Hotwire.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Room and bathroom to small, could hardly move in room, no space for luggage. Breakfast and friendlyness of staff was very good.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Jacobus M
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I'll keep this brief, give you some facts and you can decide for yourself.

I was forced to stay here due to London being almost completely booked out. I am a seasoned traveler and stay in hotels all over the UK and Ireland almost every week for the past 6 years. I rarely write reviews but felt compelled to share my experience.

My room was tiny, damp, dark, had worn carpet and smelled musty. Wallpaper was flaking off the wall. The ensuite was so small that you had to leave the door open to use the toilet, the 'ensuite' itself was the source of the the damp smell. The mattress was thin and uncomfortable and worn out. No tea/coffee facilities. The bedlinen, towels and duvet cheap and nasty. I checked under the bed and wished I hadn't. My door didn't close properly so when anyone opened any other door in the 'hotel', it rattled loudly waking me up. I learned to cured this by wedging a sock in it. The breakfast was poor, served in a small kitchen where you are forced to sit communally.

You could forgive some of this if the room was cheap, but this was not.

On a positive note the staff were friendly and there is free parking - there ends the positives.

Never EVER again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Piarais M
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Me and 3 of my skint mates decided to go to London for a 3 night stay, along with catching the Flaming Lips at Alexandra Palace, therefore we needed somewhere cheap that would basically give us a bed, a shower and a breakfast whilst allowing us to use our money in the city instead!

It's true the hotel does need a revamp. The two staff we dealt with were friendly and although the breakfast didn't provided much selection for a cooked one, it was still satisfying.

The room 2 of my friends stayed in had a new bathroom which was big and very clean and modern. The room was a bit dingy but clean and comfortable. We got the bad deal with a room which was much brighter, but in need of decoration and had two single bed cramped in. The bathroom was very dark, very cramped with horrible orange mildew on the shower head. No matter how "cheap" a hotel is there is no excuse for this type of cleanliness. Due to the price, we just grinned and beared it! The beds were comfortable enough and we weren't woken up during the middle of the night by anything untoward.

The hotel itself was easy to find and 5 minutes away from Tufnell Park station, itself around a 15 minute tube ride to many of the major destinations. Overall I give the hotel 3 out of 5 (2 stars for my room, 4 stars for my other friends room).

Pro's: Decent price with breakfast, decent location.
Con's: Rooms hit or miss, dated overall, orange mildew on shower head.

Room Tip: The twin room first to the left at the bottom of the stairs (closest to the fire exit) has a nice bathroom. The twin room directly in front of the bottom of the stairs has a small, dirty bathroom.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mouse1903
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We booked a night at Charlies purely for somewhere to stay whilst we attended the Arsenal match at the Emirates. The decor was tired but overall the place was clean and the big bonus was off-road parking which made us feel happier parking the car. The staff had a basic understanding of english but were pleasant enough though we had little reason to ask them for much.
The room in the basement was clean and functional, the TV worked intermittently after some jiggling with wires. The shower had hot water, unfortunately too much as we could not adjust the temperature so were unable to use it fearing second degree burns!
The biggest drawback for us was there was no tea making facilities in the room, a big no-no for us in this day and age!
All in all this hotel did more or less what we wanted, we arrived did what we wanted to do, slept and lef,t all at a reasonable price for London.
By the way breakfast was cooked well but I personally could have done with a bit more. Not the best hotel in the world but not a horrific experience!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple