“With Steak this good, who cares about politeness!”

Le Relais De Venise - Marylebone
Ranked #1,760 of 24,404 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Neighborhood: Marylebone
Reviewed July 6, 2014

This is an unusual restaurant experience. Firstly you have to Queue around the block in the hope of entering the hallowed ground and getting your hands on the meat treats provided. However the queue moves quickly and you can entertain yourself by watching the people on the rooftop gardens around the place, or imagining a mafia style turf war between the steak restaurant and the vegetarian restaurant opposite. For us it took about 40 minutes on a Friday night, however this made the job of finally stepping into the door the more sweeter leaving the people licking the windows remaining outside. When we finally seated we were taken through the procedure very efficiently. The choice is similar to the early Ford Cars, you can have colour you like as long as it a Salad for Starter and Steak and Fries for the main course. The Salad was fine but when we got onto the piéce de resistance we realised that we were in steak heaven. It was Excellent and when we first tasted it the table resembled the scene from "When Harry Met Sally". They give you a bit, you eat it and then they give you a bit more. You are allowed to choose your pudding, but this is not their focus. The wine was good and general London Restaurant Value. Would have marked as excellent, however one of the Waitresses (without us being shown where the cloakroom was) yelled at us for hanging the coats over the chairs because "she almost killed herself" by tripping over one of them. I did try to point out to the recipient of this scolding that this was the general French way (go to Euro-Disney if you don't know what I mean) and it probably wasn't that bad. But this had nothing to do with the French Maid's outfits that were being worn. Absolutely nothing at all!

Reviewed July 5, 2014

You will never have a bad surprised, nice bread, salad, chips and meat.

The chocolate tart is amazing and the red house wine best value for money wine, champagne too expensive though.

Really nice quality meat

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I went to 'Le Relais De Venise' today in Canary Wharf with one of my friends who visited a few times and recommended this place. The decor is simple but very nice, the waitresses are extremely nice and the food is amazing. They only have one option on their menu (steak & fries with their special sauce) but it is absolutely delicious! Their desserts menu is more varied: I tried the famous 'Le Vacherin Du Relais' (a tower of whipped cream, meringue, vanilla and pralines ice cream covered with warm hot chocolate sauce) - it is a pure delight!! It is very rare to find a restaurant nowadays that serves home made warm chocolate sauce! I loved everything about this place and I will definitely go back. I also found it to be quite cheap for a French restaurant, in total I paid £24 for a main, a dessert and a drink. And they have 30% off the total bill until the end of August (in Canary Wharf only).

Reviewed June 27, 2014

I first ate at L'Entrecote (which is what this restaurant is supposed to be a franchise of) in Geneva in the early 1990s. It was never meant to be more than a quick and cheap steakhouse where people went for a quick lunch in the financial district. All they were famous for was the sauce.
I went with my daughter a few days ago to the London branch and firstly had to queue while there were clearly empty tables inside..you could see through the windows. This is to build up the hype I imagine.
The meal... a small (quarter) plate of lollo rosso leaves scattered with few chopped walnuts and basic french dressing...followed by the steak... it was clearly a cheap cut of flash fry steak (I'm guessing rump) that had been beaten thin and then sliced up for you; sauce poured on; served with French fries. Sauce tasted a bit like Thai green curry sauce, but not spicy. I cook ALOT...I know this stuff and the meat you could have bought in any supermarket for about £4 TOTAL.
OK, so that's all they claim to do...here's my problem... the meal for two (no dessert and no alcohol) cost me £89!!! My daughter asked for two servings of steak because the portions are quite small. I had one...but really??? £89 for 3 slices of flash fry rump steak??? Served in a cafeteria style setting, so you can't even say you are paying for a fancy place...and to queue for the privilege!
You'd be MAD to go there.

4  Thank foodisall
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This is not your typical restaurant. There is only one main course - steak and fries which is preceded by a small green salad with a mustard type dressing. The only choice you do have is how you want your steak prepared; blue, medium, medium well or well done. The restaurant does have a decent selection of red, white and rose wines. Considering how quickly the restaurant fills to capacity; I found the service to be quite remarkable. I don't think it had anything to do with customer service but rather of ensuring that the long queues of people extending around the block were not waiting too long to get their table. It is not a restaurant where you might have your table for the entire evening without any pressure of vacating it. No sir ....... move them in .... get them fed, and ,,,,,,, out the door they go, making way for the next lot.

What is really nice is that after you have finished your steak and chips and sipped a few glasses of wine, the server brings you out a second helping of the steak and fries. Nice! The steak is very delicious with a really nice sauce and the fries are thin shaped; just the kind I love.

This was our fifth time visiting this restaurant and we absolutely love it. It is a real treat coming here and with all of the people queuing up to get inside, there is a nice atmosphere an ambience in the restaurant.

2  Thank michael y